Using spare tire and AWD off

1995E

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 + 11 Ex both XLT
So I was coming home just now and the road was really dark. I heard some noise and I started hearing, thud thud thud thud. I originally thought I broke my suspension or something snapped because I felt a vibration every half second or so (at 50 mph). I pulled over and found out I got a huge screw (One of those really thick hex ones). I stupidly decide to drive on it because home was less than 4 miles away, hoping I'd have enough air, then I heard *pew/thud* and the tire pressure monitoring system quickly said I was low on air. I checked and the bolt was gone and it flew out. I thought the tire blew up or shredded apart. No damage anywhere and no one was around me around 2 AM so I'm lucky it didn't fly into someone else's car.

I am wondering if I can still patch a hole that is about 1/4 of an inch thick or is it not recommended? (As in I'd buy one of those gooey/sticky string things and plug it) Also, when I put on the spare on the passenger rear, the Explorer said AWD off (This is after a few seconds of driving on the spare). Did I break it or is it supposed to do that when I have a spare on? I was still able to use my terrain management system oddly enough. I am really sad about this. I only have 33,000 miles on the car and I don't want to just slap on a new tire, but I don't want to risk anything either because I drive on the highway a lot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With 33,000 miles on those tires, I would definitely replace at least 2 of the tires and put the 2 new tires on the same axle. You could probably replace just one, but I would bet your tread is more than 1/2 way gone with that many miles. Actually, I have never gotten 33,000 miles out of a set of tires, so I would have replaced them all by now.

Measure the tread depth left, if you are in the 4 - 5/32" of tread left, it would be my suggestion to get 4 new tires. 6/32" or better left, just replace 2.

The AWD OFF light is normal. The vehicle can sense when you have the small tire on so it disables the AWD to prevent damage to the system. Nothing to worry about :)

As for the tires, I don't know if a hole that size can be fixed or not. I'd honestly look at getting all new tires if it can't. Its best to have matching tread patterns in general and with AWD/4x4 its best to have all 4 tires have approximately the same tread depth.

I got a bolt in a tire once and was able to get it plugged. But as another poster said, you may be due for tires and should check the depth.

The only way to find out if it can be fixed is to bring the tire to a reputable place in your area. A 1/4 inch hole in a tire can be fixed with a patch plug IF the steel belts in the tire did not stretch enough to cause a bubble and make the tire out of round.
I have lived on a gravel road all my life and flat tires is just a part of life for me. I have had one tire on a 92 Ranger that had 9 patches in it before I had to get a new tire. I will never use those rope plugs to fix a tire.

Good Luck.

You had a lag bolt in your tire, then drove on it with low/no air?

YMMV, but I would be replacing it no matter what a tire store told me.

I got a nail in my tire this past weekend. It was in the Front driver tire and my AWD turned off with the spare on as well (were you able to figure out how to mount the flat tire in the wheel well?). Anyway, I took it to pep boys, drove straight up to the garage, and slipped a guy $15 to fix it. Probably would have only cost $5 more "officially". I'd say take it to a similar shop and let someone who knows what they're doing take a look at it.

I believe for tires rated up to "E", the cutoff for repair is 1/4" and depending on where along the tread the puncture was made, it may not be repairable. Certainly if it's on the side wall, it's simply unrepairable (or at least shouldn't be). As others have mentioned, probably best to go to a reputable tire shop to figure out your options.

That tire was toast anyway. A hole that big should never be fixed.

So I was coming home just now and the road was really dark. I heard some noise and I started hearing, thud thud thud thud. I originally thought I broke my suspension or something snapped because I felt a vibration every half second or so (at 50 mph). I pulled over and found out I got a huge screw (One of those really thick hex ones). I stupidly decide to drive on it because home was less than 4 miles away, hoping I'd have enough air, then I heard *pew/thud* and the tire pressure monitoring system quickly said I was low on air. I checked and the bolt was gone and it flew out. I thought the tire blew up or shredded apart. No damage anywhere and no one was around me around 2 AM so I'm lucky it didn't fly into someone else's car.

I am wondering if I can still patch a hole that is about 1/4 of an inch thick or is it not recommended? (As in I'd buy one of those gooey/sticky string things and plug it) Also, when I put on the spare on the passenger rear, the Explorer said AWD off (This is after a few seconds of driving on the spare). Did I break it or is it supposed to do that when I have a spare on? I was still able to use my terrain management system oddly enough. I am really sad about this. I only have 33,000 miles on the car and I don't want to just slap on a new tire, but I don't want to risk anything either because I drive on the highway a lot.

Take it to a tire shop. They have combination plug/patches that are installed from the inside of the tire.

A side note on replacing tires. When replacing tires on an AWD vehicle it is recommended to replace all 4 tires at the same time. If not, at least 2 on the same axle.

I plugged it with 2 of those sticky wire thingies because 1 wouldn't hold up. I'll probably replace my tires at 50 thousand miles. I hope the tire lasts that long.

I plugged it with 2 of those sticky wire thingies because 1 wouldn't hold up. I'll probably replace my tires at 50 thousand miles. I hope the tire lasts that long.

That tire is much more susceptible to a belt/tread separation now. Start planning for it's replacement.

IMHO, any tire requiring a double-plug should be relegated to emergency spare use only. If that.

Personally? Plugged tires never go back on my car period, regardless of how minor the damage.

You might be able to plug the tire but it will be best to get it plugged from the inside. Firestone can usually do it for $25ish.

You should never use more than 1 plug at a time. It needs to be professionally plugged with a combination plug. Keep a close eye on it, it will probably slowly leak, and if you start getting a vibration out of no where, replace it immediately. It's the belts separating and your tiring is going to blow.

Another reason to plug from inside is that the process requires the tire to be remounted onto the rim. Underflated, i.e. flat tires, have a tendency to pop the bead. One hard-ish turn and you can roll the bead right off the rim.

I'd definitely keep an eye out to make sure the tire is holding air. If not, either the plugs are failing or your bead is off.

Good luck.

I used to feel a vibration but not anymore after driving a bit. After reading the post, I've been convinced, I'll just replace the tire or have it properly patched.

Good call. If the vibration has gone away it's a sure sign the belts have let go. Replace it.

Back