• Register Today It's free!

What should I do with this?

SuperKirby

Reaction score
City, State
Central MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT
I put a post in the body section but after a few days is yet to get a response. I'll try here and see if anyone wants to provide some input.

I have a 93 Ex. I believe I read that it spent most of it's life in WA state, then a year or two in SD. All places that don't get too carried away with salt on the roads. Now it lives in MN, where salt is everywhere. Before it spends another winter here, I really want to do something to save the metal. My solution is a DIY bed liner. So far I'm looking at Raptor liner. Has anyone done this to theirs? Surely I can't be the only one.

Here's what I'm starting with

2e1rad4.jpg

oh5jbc.jpg

I'm leaning towards just covering the purple. I don't know that I want or need to cover the whole thing. And I wouldn't be opposed to getting rid of the purple. I'm not a purple guy. I've narrowed it down to black or a neon/lime colored green. I can't decide if that would look bad with the gray?

Also, I'm going to plastidip the wheels. Would plastidip work on the bumper and grill guard ok? Or should I use paint?

Thanks for the input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry those pictures are huge. I need to figure out resizing I guess

They have an undercarriage spray they can do to help with salt corrosion on frame rails and body I don't know about who can do it fir you but here in Oregon I can get it done st the dealership.

I've seen a couple different chassis coatings around, and may have one of those done as well. It will depend on cost I suppose. But for the outside there's no way I could afford to have that much liner professionally sprayed at this time, and from the looks of things it doesn't look like it's all that hard to do, especially if you put the time in on prep work. My biggest hurdle is taking the initial plunge of sandpaper to paint. There's a couple places where the paint has flaked at the bottom of the doors and a little surface rust has started, so I need to do something before it gets worse.

Yeah I have to tackle a little rust issue myself on my roof, need to use a little body filler on the rear quarter also, but that will wait until a nice non windy day.

Go into your nearest Auto Value and ask for rocker pannel guard. Its basically truck bed liner, but is much better than anything else you can get in a rattle can. Its about $7 a can too, which is about as cheap as you can find it. I just bought the last can Annandale had in stock. The stuff goes on thick, and holds up well. If I had a truck as nice as yours, I would do the whole under body, frame and all.

Hey thanks. I'll check the stuff out. I want to spray underneath, probably in black. But I still want to get rid of the purple, so I think some Raptor liner is in order.

I probably won't regret green raptor liner on half of it, will I?

OD green? Looking at pictures on line, that would be badass!

I think Joe Dirt (screen name) used to spray on linseed oil every couple of years. That way he could hit everything and it would look just like it came out of the factory

If i do it I'll use custom coat, which is raptor liner relabelled. They offer it with pre measured tint in either emerald green or lime green. Honestly I'm actually leaning toward the lime. I think it will look good,but i can't say for sure

Take your pick, it doesn't matter what internet people think. Although you really have me considering OD green bedliner for my truck. I'm pretty sure all three of the pictures are actual bedliner. While they aren't explorers, you get the idea.

emerald
Blacked-Out%20Mirror%20001.jpg

OD green
DSCN6997.jpg

lime
jeep.jpg

See, I like the OD, but the lime to me just seems like it should happen. That said, my biggest concern is how it would look with the gray on the upper half. I would love to do the whole thing in bed liner, but that would get to be too expensive. I can get 8 L, a little over 2 gallons, for what my budget will allow. It looks like 1 gallon will do 125 sq. ft. and if I did the math right to cover the purple I would have to cover right around 100 sq. feet, and I figure I'll want 2 coats for sure. Looks like it will be $300 to do that.

http://www.amazon.com/Custom-BLACK-...29762406&sr=8-3&keywords=raptor+bed+liner+kit

Back