Spring 2015 GWNF Run | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spring 2015 GWNF Run

last quick reminder

for those coming for the first time you might want to bring fishing, swimming gear. I have secured access to a long frontage on the James River.... perfect for tubing etc.

food..... as usual I will serve up something on Saturday evening (usually pulled pork BBQ or hamburgers on grill- nothing fancy) other than that you are on your own... Gwen at general store (5 miles away) does great breakfast and lunch platters if you are so inclined she also has beer, ice, gas, diesel, and typical c store stuff.

refrigeration-I will plug in a dormer fridge (if needed) on back patio for you guys to put some of your food stuff in but space will be limited.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok Fish, I'll bring my back and Tylenol. You cut and Ill grunt and heave. I'll camp with the group if we huddle up.

Looking forward to meeting you all, and doin' this!:rangergreen:

not that much work

don't worry Keith.. you wont need the Tylenol as there isn't that much to do unless we start blazing new trails. I will probably have most things open by the time you get here... one major log (30" diameter) will probably fall victim to the winch.....instead of a strong back

we will look at your camping options once you get here.

anyone else bringing a winch?

we finally have been getting rain. should be interesting.

also for those coming for the first time, if you have a portable air pump you should bring it..... we typically air down on the trails, and you will want to air back up before hitting the pavement.

By the way who is leading the GWNF portion of the rides? and which trail have we selected? I am still leaning towards stony run.

I would also like to run Stony Run.

GWNF Ride

Ok here's what it looks like so far:

Stony run trail is the winner.... meeting spot at Coal road and Mt. Torrey Road (Rt.664) at 9:30 Saturday morning.
for those of us at camp fishfood that means 8;00 departure, stop at Howardsville store for breakfast sandwiches coffee etc. (I will make arrangements to have food ready for us) followed by scenic ride through nelson county ...top off tanks at Sherando and meet chris. 4-5 hours of off road rock bouncing and another different scenic ride on blue ridge parkway, and back to camp fishood for beer, BBQ, swimming, and of course more private trails.

the group:

explorersport24 (Jason)
RCtankboy (Keith)
fishfood (Stacey) maybe?
Unclemeat (John) maybe?
xeek (Fred)
Boominexplorer (Chris) (joining at meeting spot)

We have a couple MIAs from the usual crowd and it looks like 3 new folks. Of the new folks, how many have been on stony run or shoe creek before?

Xeek if john and I decide to stay back at camp are you comfortable leading the GWNF part of the weekend?

The current weather forecast is for light rain on Saturday. That will make the Stoney Run trail better, more fun.

I have still not decided what I am going to wheel. I want to take my Explorer, but I still need to do some work on it. Either way I will be there.

So I'm in a little pickle and trying to decide what to do with my ranger. I have had a noise on deceleration for a few weeks since I last went wheeling that I THOUGHT was in my transfer case. So I pulled it out and low and behold I can move my transmission output shaft up and down over a half inch. I put another tcase in and no change in the sound. Granted I still have all gears and the trans still shifts good I really don't want to damage anything else since I have a bunch of aftermarket parts in the trans that I don't want to buy again.

So my delimma is do I try to swap the trans out in 2 days with one out of a truck I have in the back yard, fix this trans, tow the truck and hope for the best or bring my girls 3rd Gen on 31s (which isn't as fun lol)........

one day left to get through

boomin,

you must have one hell of a garage.. I wouldn't attempt any of your options before the weekend... your PM just popped up. yes you can park a trailer at my place... not the best turn around areas, but we can make it work..... I park RV s and camping trailers on the road in front of my house several times a year.

I don't know if you can park a tow rig anywhere on the forest.... (i.e meeting on coal road). I guess you can as there are some pull offs and places to park. the rangers number is 540-291-2189. You may want to call them for that answer.

Xeek the coordinates are as follows:

meeting place 37.962184 -78.961747
bottom trail head 37.983215-79.073665
top trailhead 37.914136 - 79.073697

As you recall since I am hosting the camping spot etc, that sometimes I do not ride with you guys on the gwnf portion and stay home to take care of business. That is why I ask about you leading the trail ride. Anyway I will make that decision Friday night after I get a few beers behind me.

we may even get lucky enough to catch the tunnel of flowers this year.

Attachments

• 100_1264.jpg
    100_1264.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 182

It helps to own a shop with a lift. I'll be at your house Saturday morning then we can head to the trails. I'm not to concerned about the truck having an issue as I have driven it over 500 miles in the past 2 weeks and it hasn't made much more noise. I just want to be able to have fun and not worry about breaking it.

2015052395161941.jpg

Im currently at natural bridge koa. We came a day early to do the safari. I should be there around 1.

Already got damaged to the truck. Hit a tree at the koa parking lol

View attachment 84061

Wait you hit a tree??? It didnt hit you this time?? Haha

warming up for tree bashing

Xeek,
well as wet as everything is, there should be lots of opportunities here for you to hit a whole lot more trees. don't think anyone will be going up "slip and slide" this time
boomin,
I guess we will see you in the am at camp fishfood .That's one hell of a stunt... you'll have to tell me how you did that.
JD
why aren't you here! I've been feeding the yetis so they would leave you alone this time.

Guess its about time to sling some mud!

I will be at camp fishfood in the morning. I'm going to run the truck as it is, it should do just fine. I was concerned driving it 500 miles but if I'm towing it 400 of the miles it will a whole lot less stress on it. Not to mention last I went wheeling it was sooo dry I had driveline bind up most of the time with the locker in the rear and l/s in the front. I am ready for some mud for sure!

Xeek,
well as wet as everything is, there should be lots of opportunities here for you to hit a whole lot more trees. don't think anyone will be going up "slip and slide" this time
boomin,
I guess we will see you in the am at camp fishfood .That's one hell of a stunt... you'll have to tell me how you did that.
JD
why aren't you here! I've been feeding the yetis so they would leave you alone this time.

Guess its about time to sling some mud!

Wish i could be!! I jumped in my ex couple weeks ago and threw it in reverse and broke the teeth of from the reverse gear somehow..would drive in ""D"" but reverse would bind,then the metal got sucked up into the filters and over heated my tq converter and now its slipping in drive..sucks because thats not a old trans plus it was build using stage 2 parts :'(

Loaded up and ready to roll. See you all by 8am

We made it home. Thanks again to Stacey an his wife.

Made it home just after midnight last night. Had a great time and it was nice meeting everyone. A big thanks to Stacey and his wife for the awesome food and great day of wheelin. I can't wait till the next time!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got home an hour ago. Pretty much unpacked already.

The new trans cooler developed a leak at the hose on the way home. Fluid all over everything.
Guess ive got some modifications to do brefore next time.

Once again thanks for.having us. Try and do it again before the end of the year if we can!

Back