Increase MPG | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Increase MPG

What do synthetic fluids do differently from regular? Are they worth the extra cost for a 92 ex with 240k on it?

I think so. There's a lot of misinformation out there but the jist of it is that synthetic oils are typically premium oils with better additive packs. That aside, a synthetic base stock is more uniform and is generally a better lubricant and more shear stable. They're quoted to be thinner and more slippery at cooler temps.

Considering how many miles you go between changes on differential & transfer case fluids... why not pay a couple bucks more and put some premium synthetic fluids in? I'm not talking Royal Purple or Amsoil, leave those to the drag strip/track cars. But something like Valvoline MaxLife ATF in the transfer case and trans is good. I've got Mobil 1 synthetic 75w-90 in the front and rear differential and the difference between it and 80w-90 when at room temperature in the bottle is amazing. The Mobil 1 was really thin, closer to motor oil than gear oil but clung to surfaces. No need to worry about the oils being too thin, when they warm up, they'll be in spec and just as protective as their old/regular counterparts, if not moreso. Next time you're at the oil aisle, grab a cheapo bottle of regular gear oil and a bottle of synthetic. Tilt the bottles while looking at the level marks, you'll see how differently they react. It's a good indication of the low-temp viscosity.

You can spend a ton of time researching these kinds of things, going on BobIsTheOilGuy.com and reading about sample tests and all that. I went there and had plenty of headaches trying to find "the best". Bottom line... most any oil on the shelf is better than what was produced 24 years ago. Get a synthetic with a premium additive package and you're treating your Explorer without breaking the bank. Whether or not you'll see a noticeable MPG improvement... I don't know. I kind of doubt it but these vehicles need all the help they can get.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My wifes 2000 V6 mustang picked up 1 solid MPG when we switched to AMSOIL severe gear.(not bad for 2 qt of gear oil)

Please do not discount how a top tier fluid will help fuel economy.

My wifes 2000 V6 mustang picked up 1 solid MPG when we switched to AMSOIL severe gear.(not bad for 2 qt of gear oil)

Please do not discount how a top tier fluid will help fuel economy.

Oh please don't tell me you are an amsoil dealer.

Yes I am. I became a dealer after using the products.

I'm also a explorer forum vendor(that is why my screen name is green)
Any other questions. Besides. AMSOIL gear oil is very price competive compared to other synthetic gear oils since you can get it factory direct.

image_1.jpg

I'll make this a one post and done as I often get in heated debates with oil dealers, but maybe you can answer the questions that never seem to have an answer. Why does Amsoil always focus or the most ridiculous of things. Huge increases in gas mileage, with no data to back it up. You gained 1 mpg compared to what? You switched from 85w140 dino oil to 75w90 synthetic? I'm afraid synthetic had nothing to do with the increase. Amsoil is always touting 100:1 in ALL 2 strokes. First of all it offers no advantage, and second of all, a high performance race engine run hard obviously needs more oil than a weed wacker. I have never heard Amsoil claim exceptional protection for an engine, and thats what scares me. Its always unrealistic mpg gains, stupid low amounts of oil in 2 strokes, and not even half of the oil Amsoil puts out is certified. That's my bit, take it with a grain of salt. I won't be responding to this thread again.

I'll make this a one post and done as I often get in heated debates with oil dealers, but maybe you can answer the questions that never seem to have an answer. Why does Amsoil always focus or the most ridiculous of things. Huge increases in gas mileage, with no data to back it up. You gained 1 mpg compared to what? You switched from 85w140 dino oil to 75w90 synthetic? I'm afraid synthetic had nothing to do with the increase. Amsoil is always touting 100:1 in ALL 2 strokes. First of all it offers no advantage, and second of all, a high performance race engine run hard obviously needs more oil than a weed wacker. I have never heard Amsoil claim exceptional protection for an engine, and thats what scares me. Its always unrealistic mpg gains, stupid low amounts of oil in 2 strokes, and not even half of the oil Amsoil puts out is certified. That's my bit, take it with a grain of salt. I won't be responding to this thread again.
a 2000 mustang came with 90 wt 140 came later...
100:1 has lots of gains if it can be done less smoke ,less emissions better performance at that ratio. when it came out (in the 80's)2 stroke boat owners even noticed they would get more rpm's
image_2.jpg

This is from Stihl's own test
image_3.jpg

Besides the new Saber ratio is 80:1 - 100:1

and 2/3 of AMSOIL'S engine oils are API certified
the OE and XL both are there is a reason the Sig series does not carry the API cert.

Here is why only 2/3 of gas engine oils are
If all AMSOIL motor oils were API licensed, the company could not source new raw materials from multiple suppliers, which would greatly increase the threat of supply disruption and the likelihood of extraordinarily high prices. To solve this problem, the API must establish base stock interchange guidelines for synthetic base stocks just as they have for other base stocks, as well as develop interchange guidelines for other components too. Furthermore, licensing formulas limits the ability to quickly adopt new technologies as they are discovered; each variation from the originally licensed formula requires re-submission for complete engine testing
Source http://www.amsoil.com/frequent.aspx

I could go on and on.

But if you want to see any of AMSOIL's performance tests you can find them here http://www.amsoil.com/performancetests.aspx Happy reading

I'm not wanting to spark a debate, there's just 2 reasons I don't go for Amsoil; price and availability.

Regarding price, if you go with 75w-140, yea, there's not much difference. However non-racing vehicles and vehicles that don't tow or tow very little can use 75w-90. It's cheaper and better on MPG. I paid right at $7.20/quart for the Mobil 1 75w-90 Synthetic. At that point, it's 3x the price for Amsoil and I doubt it's 3x as good.

I don't like the whole gotta-find-a-dealer private thing. Feels a bit too much like Amway and others. I know it's not a pyramid scheme but if the products really are good, they should be more available.

Granted, Amsoil has it's place. I'm not an engineer and I won't say their oil is crap but for the common man, it's a bit out of reach. In my opinion, it's best left to the people at the racetrack or for those who bought a brand new performance vehicle and want nothing but the best.

I'm not wanting to spark a debate, there's just 2 reasons I don't go for Amsoil; price and availability.

Regarding price, if you go with 75w-140, yea, there's not much difference. However non-racing vehicles and vehicles that don't tow or tow very little can use 75w-90. It's cheaper and better on MPG. I paid right at $7.20/quart for the Mobil 1 75w-90 Synthetic. At that point, it's 3x the price for Amsoil and I doubt it's 3x as good.

I don't like the whole gotta-find-a-dealer private thing. Feels a bit too much like Amway and others. I know it's not a pyramid scheme but if the products really are good, they should be more available.

Granted, Amsoil has it's place. I'm not an engineer and I won't say their oil is crap but for the common man, it's a bit out of reach. In my opinion, it's best left to the people at the racetrack or for those who bought a brand new performance vehicle and want nothing but the best.

I'll add 2 comments then unsubscribe from notifications. I too have better things to do than argue in the Internet.

1. Most people who do not like AMSOIL have never used it. They may of heard a story from their next door neighbors brothers old roommate.

2 AMSOIL is more readily available than it was other than before it's sold by thousands of independent auto parts stores. Some names you might be familiar with NAPA CARQUEST.Just not available in big corporate chain stores like auto zone.
There is a store/dealer locator. http://www.amsoil.com/locator/map.aspx?page=/locator/index.aspx
They will even ship to you.

Hope that helps clear up a few things.

You have to think how hard it was to sell a synthetic oil in 1972. It was not selling
It would just sit there. It was far more expensive than regular crude oils.
They decided to give direct selling a go. And it saved the company
That's why you can't find it in corporate chain stores. Their buying power and the logistics system would make it for them to be able to sell below dealer prices and that would hurt the dealer networks that built the company.

I think that is the longest post I have ever typed on my phone.

Fair enough :) Like I said, I don't dislike Amsoil, I just have little experience. About 8.5 years and 37,700 miles ago, I had a transmission shop go through the trans and supposedly put Amsoil in the 4L60 in my Suburban and I've got no complaints with it. That was well before I knew anything about automotive work (I would have done it myself). It was a night and day difference driving it out of the shop. I only went with Amsoil because I was told it was the best and being synthetic, I wouldn't have to change it ever again. I never saw the old oil and being a used vehicle, it's questionable if it was ever changed in the 70k miles that were on the odometer before I got it. It's mostly a city driver and didn't really see hard use up until a few years ago when I occasionally haul a trailer around.

All that said, now that I'm more mechanically inclined and price-conscious, I don't feel that the advantage Amsoil provides is significant enough over premium off-the-shelf oils for my needs. If I had a performance vehicle or earned a living driving a truck, I'd seriously consider it. To each their own though :)

Back