• Register Today It's free!

Rebuilt engine or replace.

JKELLYN13

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Sport Trac XLT
I have a 2002 ST 2 wheel drive and recently the chain guides went out in it. My question is that with 205k miles on it I believe it only makes more since to either rebuild it or replace with a bebuilt one instead of only doing the guides. Yes the guides only would be the cheaper option however I want to keep this truck for many more years. I used to race dirt and so am fermiliar with bulding engines just have never rebuilt the Ford 4.0. Qhat do you guys suggest, rebuilding myself or ordering a replacement online? Also how large of a price difference could I expect between a rebuld and a replacement?

Machine shop access and cost have just about eliminated local rebuild efforts. One NAPA dealer in a 3 county local area has the equipment to boil, surface and bore a block and head. You will notice that shoe shops have gone out of business also.

My evaluation in rural GA is that a production rebuild such as a Jasper engine long block is the way to go. Because of the lower cost and the warranty.

Get a reman engine, and let a reputable shop do the swap. Warranty, warranty, warranty.

I put a reman in my 06, the engine cost ~$3000 shipped to the shop of my choice, and inculded return shipping of the old block. All in all, it was around $5000.

3 yr warranty/unlimited miles (parts and labor) on the block.

Cool thanks guys yea that is what I was leaning towards too. I work for a Toyota Dealer so me and one of our Techs will actually be installing it. He is a friend of mine and it will only cost me a case of beer. haha. As far as the warranty goes it will not void because I will have an open repair order for my truck for installing an engine with the service drive so all will look as if it were installed through our shop. I found an engine from a company called AIW engines for 1829 out of florida with free shipping and with a 3 year unlimited mile warranty but never heard of them. Anybody can confirm if they make good rebuilt engines? The wife is trying to keep the whole thing under 3,000 installed with new water pump, spark plugs etc.

Back