Potential 2006 Explorer Purchase | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Potential 2006 Explorer Purchase

PaulieP17

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Fusion
Hello all. I'm thinking about buying an 06 Explorer with 127,000 miles. 3 owners and clean carfax with regular services documented. My only concern is the number of issues I've read about tranny and radiator problems. I don't expect to buy a used vehicle problem free but the number of issues I've read has me thinking this through a bit more. I'm hoping if any of these issues existed that it was corrected with the previous owner(s). Is there anything I should look for to help me determine if I should go through with it or not? Carfax doesn't specify any repairs, only "tune up" performed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What engine ?

I would want documentation of transmission rebuild and warranty. Most need work or a rebuild by 90-100,000 miles.

Yeah, I'm really re-thinking this. I may try to see if I can find an 07 or 08. They don't seem to have the amount of issues as the 06.

The engine and tranny from 06-10 on V6 are the same. Note sure if you gain anything going newer. Look for v8 from 08 on. Very good combo.

A test drive will tell you how much life is left in the transmission just by the way it is shifting... a 5R55S transmission that had fluid changes every 60k miles or less and not pushed very hard will last longer than the timing chain guides on the motor. A simple inspection of the transmission cooler lines at the radiator and the radiator manufacturer will tell you if it has ever been replaced and I would also look at the thermostat housing area for leaks and/or signs of previous leaks. Also taking a look at the transmission and mounting bolts will tell you if it has ever been dropped for repair. Like Explorer_PL stated, the 6-10 model years all have the same potential for issues on the V6 setup, but the 06-08.5 V8 setups have different issues than the 08.5-10 V8 setups which is why he recommends 08 1/2 and up year V8 models.

the 06-08.5 V8 setups have different issues than the 08.5-10 V8 setups which is why he recommends 08 1/2 and up year V8 models.

When shopping for 2008 model, how can you tell between older 2008.5 vs. newer 2008.5?

I would list all the items I replaced on our 2006 Ex but it would take to long, but for sure the transmission was replaced, Radiators X 4, Rotors, brakes, calipers, alternator, battery, shifter, dash lights, and it was a rust bucket. I would avoid like the plague.

I've been driving around all day. I can't find any signs of leaks anywhere. Shifts as smooth as any normal vehicle. No tranny issues on the carfax and its 128000. I guess it's just a roll of the dice like any other used vehicle. Thanks for the input from everyone. It's greatly appreciated.

I'm just curious why the 06 has so many more issues than the 07-10? Not doubting what you all are saying about the same tranny. Just wondering why the 06 seems to have a lot more complaints with the same equipment? V8 seem to be rare at least around here. May look at the Expedition. I just need to get 10000 or so miles out of whatever I end up with until I can get to where I can afford a new one.

May have been a new model refresh year, like the 2016 is

The 06 is indeed the first year model of the 4th gen, so as with most first year models... you have many problems compared to the last year model of a gen.

there are alot of shared parts between 3rd and 4th gen so it has to be something really new to have a problem in 06 and not in 05

May have been a new model refresh year, like the 2016 is

06 is the first year of the 4th gen... but using this logic of 2016 being a refresh why has the new explorer been a mess since 2011.... 5 full years of horrible looking minivans branded as explorers.... lol

06 is the first year of the 4th gen... but using this logic of 2016 being a refresh why has the new explorer been a mess since 2011.... 5 full years of horrible looking minivans branded as explorers.... lol

Yeah the new Explorers look more like crossovers than SUVs to me. The 2016 Explorer face life certainly improves their look though. I also don't mind the sport models, but they are still like crossovers to me. Just don't have that SUV look I'm used to. The 2006-2010 models look really nice. Too bad for the 2011+ they didn't keep up with the truck/SUV thing.

At least they don't look as bad as the new Ford Escapes! I'm not sure what they were thinking. The 2012 style Escape looks like an SUV, the new ones look like a car that's almost a crossover. Very ugly. Small too.

escape its a focus with more ground clearance..... the only 2011 up ex i would buy is the sport 3.5 ecoboost because people have gotten them in the 11's with just a few grand worth of performance tweaks.... livernois motorsports in dearborn heights MI has a full kit that pulls 11.9's in a quarter mile

When shopping for 2008 model, how can you tell between older 2008.5 vs. newer 2008.5?

The 2008 1/2 and up V8 models with the redesigned heads have brown spark plug boots instead of black.

Just to update...I went through with the purchase. $8195 was the price. Traded an 09 Cobalt that was paid for. Got $2500 for it plus $1500 off the $8195. That left me around $4700 with taxes, etc. Got to thinking with no more than that to invest, I asked about a ESP. Said they could do the Ford Base plan for 24/24,000 but it would be right at $2000. Seems pricy but the Base covers quite a bit. I thought why not, I've got $6700 invested with a 2 year/24000 mile Ford warranty for a 9 year old vehicle with 128000 miles. I also got a new set of tires added as well. I don't think I came out too bad on it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my 2007 xlt 4.0 4wd "107k" was $9150 financed and $1200 of that was for a service plan 24,000/2year..... too bad only after 8 months the cluster now reads 123k.... I dont think you got a bad deal at all.... while on vacation I saw a used 2007 just like mine but with leather and the ford dealer had the sticker at $9500 and the body was not in perfect shape like mine kicker was it had 150k on it... now I think that is a major rip off

Back