2006 Explorer transmission problems? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Explorer transmission problems?

Brvndxn

Reaction score
City, State
Elizabethtown, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Ford Explorer Limited
So I'm about to purchase this really nice 06 Explorer Limited. I already made the dealership an offer based off of pictures and the carfax report they accepted and are writing up the paperwork tomorrow. However upon doing some searches on google and youtube I keep seeing that the 02-06 are notorious for transmission problems. How true is this, and what should I check for before I pay them the cash? Its a 4wd with 4.6 v8 if that matters any

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

02-05 4.0 and 4.6 SOHCs had the 5r55w which does have the issue with the servo bores. However, 06 and up V8's used the much stronger and incredibly reliable 6r80 (Same one they used behind the F-150 and F-250 V8's).

Provided the condition is good, it's been maintained, and the miles are acceptable, the transmission should last as long as the engine.

Mr. Q is right regarding the much better reliability of the 6R transmissions in the 2006-2010 Explorer/Mountaineer 4.6L 3V V8 models. However, the 2006-2008 models have the 6R60 six speeds and the 2009-2010 models have the 6R80 six speeds. The main difference between the two is the 6R80 has a slightly higher torque rating. IMO, this doesn't mean much in regard to reliability between them, if anything at all. The 2006-2010 4.6L V8 models arguably have the most reliable engine/transmission combination in any Explorer to date. Just make sure to drop the transmission pan, replace the filter and refill. Then after a 2k-3k miles drop the pan again and refill. No filter change is needed on the second service. This will replace about 75-80% of the transmission fluid and should give you many more miles of longevity if you do subsequent pan drops, filter changes and refills every 40k-50k miles thereafter. I also recommend oil changes using 5W30 synthetic every 3k-5k miles. The one thing I consider when buying any used car of this age is where it has lived its life. If it has been in areas where the roads are heavily salted in the winter then you should thoroughly check it out for rust damage. Vehicles with excessive rust can be nightmares to maintain as time passes.

Mr. Q is right regarding the much better reliability of the 6R transmissions in the 2006-2010 Explorer/Mountaineer 4.6L 3V V8 models. However, the 2006-2008 models have the 6R60 six speeds and the 2009-2010 models have the 6R80 six speeds. The main difference between the two is the 6R80 has a slightly higher torque rating. IMO, this doesn't mean much in regard to reliability between them, if anything at all. The 2006-2010 4.6L V8 models arguably have the most reliable engine/transmission combination in any Explorer to date. Just make sure to drop the transmission pan, replace the filter and refill. Then after a 2k-3k miles drop the pan again and refill. No filter change is needed on the second service. This will replace about 75-80% of the transmission fluid and should give you many more miles of longevity if you do subsequent pan drops, filter changes and refills every 40k-50k miles thereafter. I also recommend oil changes using 5W30 synthetic every 3k-5k miles. The one thing I would consider when buying any used car of this age is where it has lived its life. If it has been in areas where the roads are heavily salted in the winter then you should thoroughly check it out for rust damage. Vehicles with excessive rust can be nightmares to maintain as time passes.
You are correct, it is the 6r60. Same transmission family, just lower torque rating as stated, but still much more robust than the 5r55w.

However, I wish to point out the most reliable drive train combination in the Explorer to date is the 302 and 4r70w. Not great for gas mileage, but you can run 250k miles on the drivetrain even with abuse. Then there is the 4.0 OHV and the M5OD-R1. Solid drive train, not very powerful, but great for reliability. Anything in the 5R family (A4LD, 4R55E, 5R55E, 5R55W) does not respond well to poor maintenance and overall they are probably the weakest setup with the 4.0 SOHC (Although the 5R55W is the strongest version, it still suffers from poor servo bore design). To note though, the 5R55E holds the honor of being the very first 5 speed automatic to be used in any US production vehicle.

The 4.6 3V and 6R80 combo in the 09-10 models are probably just under the 302/4R70W combo in terms of reliablity (just because there is no timing chains in the 5.0) and the top in terms of power for the first 4 generations.

I agree the 5.0L OHV engine/transmission combination is very reliable and is the main reason I used the term "arguably" in my comment. The 4.0L OHV is what I had in my 1994 Explorer and it went 192k trouble free miles regarding the engine/transmission before I sold it. The one thing these combos have for them is they have been around a lot longer than the 4.6L/6R combo so time might show it having an edge but if it does then it will be marginal. I expect all three will go down as about equal to each other. The one thing I see in this forum are very few issues with the 6R transmissions. When they do show up it is usually an issue with the electronics that control it and not something relating to a fundamental mechanical design flaw.

Also, I think most Ford transmissions are reliable if they are diligently maintained and not according to Ford's recommendations. I am almost OCD about changing transmission fluid and do it every 30k-40k miles. I have never had a transmission failure for any car I bought with less than 60k miles and I think it is due to the frequent oil changes. I bought my 2002 V8 Explorer with 48k miles on it and sold it at 116k miles and the transmission was working as good as the day I bought it when it sold. I think if Ford would stop saying the transmission fluid in many of their vehicles is "lifetime" and change it to fluid and filter change every 50k-60k miles there would be far fewer transmission failures in their cars. Even with the 5R transmissions.

I also have the 2006 Ford Explorer Limited with the 4.6L engine. I have done one transmission fluid change and it's an easy job. Don't let someone try to sell you on the idea of a transmission flush. Drop the pan change the fluid and the the filter. Only use the recommended Motorcraft transmission fluid as stated in the owners manual. The only issues I have had are the exhaust manifold studs will break, usually on the passengers side. Hopefully yours will not have this problem, if so, you will know it on the first cold start with a ticking exhaust leak. The radiators are known to leak. Also spark plugs can be hard to change, but I have found several You Tube video's on all these issues. I love this car and it's a pleasure to drive.

Back