New grille to increase airflow? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New grille to increase airflow?

P

PIUtility

I'm having some serious AC cooling issues now, leaving my PIU idling is starting to cause the AC to stop blowing cold, and really barely pass for cool. After adding the push bumper and Rigid LED light the little airflow the OEM grill allows is blocked significantly and I want to open that up. Been eyeballing the Sport and PIU Ecoboost grilles, just need to find one off a wrecked truck on ebay. Anyone have any thoughts if this would help, or would I be wasting time and money on this little venture?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am not sure what a PIU is, but common sense says shut your vehicle
off when not attended. Then when re-entering start it, open the windows
for a bit, start the AC, then resume operation. :D

I hope this helps.

I am not sure what a PIU is, but common sense says shut your vehicle
off when not attended. Then when re-entering start it, open the windows
for a bit, start the AC, then resume operation. :D

I hope this helps.

PIU = police interceptor utility

and turning the engine off defeats the purpose of it being a k9 vehicle... ;)

PIU = police interceptor utility

and turning the engine off defeats the purpose of it being a k9 vehicle... ;)

I suppose that means you are PD, and not sure why you are asking here
for advice.

Asking for a wrecked grill makes that point mute. :eek:

I noticed that my Ex tends to keep "half" cool, when running the A/C in the front. But when running the A/C in the rear, in addition to the front, while recirculating is on, helps keep the cabin cold--even to the point I've had to reduce the flow or turn it off for a bit (and I'm in Vegas).

As for the grille, what you're saying makes sense--a front push bumper and the LED bar would block a great deal of the air flow while driving. But in your case, you mentioned idling. Not sure if a different grille would help since you are stationary. If I were to pick one, I'd choose the PIU grille for your scenario--but NOT before fully checking the cooling system entirely (hoses, thermo, recharge if needed, etc). There could be another reason why it starts to blow warm or hot after some time.

I noticed that my Ex tends to keep "half" cool, when running the A/C in the front. But when running the A/C in the rear, in addition to the front, while recirculating is on, helps keep the cabin cold--even to the point I've had to reduce the flow or turn it off for a bit (and I'm in Vegas).

As for the grille, what you're saying makes sense--a front push bumper and the LED bar would block a great deal of the air flow while driving. But in your case, you mentioned idling. Not sure if a different grille would help since you are stationary. If I were to pick one, I'd choose the PIU grille for your scenario--but NOT before fully checking the cooling system entirely (hoses, thermo, recharge if needed, etc). There could be another reason why it starts to blow warm or hot after some time.

Ive had it checked before, but I'm starting to hear fan noise so I'm going to force the dealership to look over it again. I personally own the vehicle and about out of factory warranty, so I'll be damned if I'm gonna pay a deductible for something that should have been fixed for free.

As far as the grill goes, any airflow increase is beneficial, and looking at the factory non-EC grill it really doesnt allow much coming in at all, even without the push bumper

Back