Front end clunk - bushing failure? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front end clunk - bushing failure?

So had an appointment today, they found that mine was due to Bracket and bushings for front shock. Parts on order appt for next Sat

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Parts installed (driver side) and no more clunk hope the passenger side isn't next.... ;)

An update on my front-end noise. I got under the Ex again today to look for the cause, this time from the opposite side of the vehicle. My initial diagnosis of it coming from the exhaust system was correct and I discovered the problem: the exhaust hanger located downstream from the catalytic converter has a connection to the body on each side of the pipe when new. On my Ex, the drivers side metal arm rusted where it was welded to the pipe and fell off, leaving the assembly hanging from just the bracket on the passengers side.
Off to the parts store to see if I can find a bolt-on repair.

Just took my 11 EX in for the clunk in the passenger side front. They told me they couldn't duplicate. But it has been doing this for months and is getting worse. So tomorrow they want me to pay $45 for diagnostic fee with no issue. Off subject we also have wind noise from the passenger side and they couldn't duplicate that either(another $45). Frustrating...

Just took my 11 EX in for the clunk in the passenger side front. They told me they couldn't duplicate. But it has been doing this for months and is getting worse. So tomorrow they want me to pay $45 for diagnostic fee with no issue. Off subject we also have wind noise from the passenger side and they couldn't duplicate that either(another $45). Frustrating...

If your dealership is not highly rated (see this thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379200) I would seriously consider going elsewhere for your service at this time rather than fight a frustrating, and losing, battle with an old-school screw-the-customer shop.

I cobbled together a repair for the missing exhaust hanger but the noise is still there. :(

Even though I knew it wouldn't fix the "heavier" sounding noise, I replaced/repaired several missing plastic body clips, holding things like mudflaps in place. Interesting discovery during that process- the front mud flaps have holes for two plastic clips at the bottom, facing the road, but one hole is covered by the wheel well plastic. I guess the assembly folks decided to save a few pennies and not put the clips in those holes that were never going to be visible under normal use...

Then I inspected the links, etc. The RH Suspension Stabilizer Bar Link has a torn boot on the lower end and some shiny metal (from the boot polishing it?). The FordParts.com site has two different parts listed:
http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/P...earch=true&year=2011&make=Ford&model=Explorer
Part Name: Suspension Stabilizer Bar Link, Brand: Motorcraft, Part Number: 5K484(MEF-24) for $43.
And:
http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/P...earch=true&year=2011&make=Ford&model=Explorer
Part Name: Suspension Stabilizer Bar Link, Brand: Motorcraft, Part Number: 5K484(MEF-114) for $26.

Anyone know the difference between the two, and which is correct for the '11 Limited, AWD?
Yes, there is a dealership about 12 minutes away. No, that dealership is not listed in the sticky of good dealerships- at least not by me.

Another interesting bit of information is that Ford has a repair kit for a suspension problem:
Part Name: Suspension Knuckle Bushing Repair Kit

Brand: Ford Parts

Part Number: 5B759

I don't know if it is related to the problem we are having, but there is something out there warranting a repair kit.

I had the technician do a ride along with me. First pothole and there it was. So they replaced the sway bar end link. I left from the dealer first hole and clunk...dealer said I can bring it back again within 90 days for a re - evaluation.

I had the technician do a ride along with me. First pothole and there it was. So they replaced the sway bar end link. I left from the dealer first hole and clunk...dealer said I can bring it back again within 90 days for a re - evaluation.

My concern with taking it to the dealership is they don't seem to know FOR CERTAIN how to fix it. Being out of warranty, I don't want to be throwing $200 repairs at the car only to discover that it didn't fix the problem...

Here is my issue.

2013 with 35,x.. miles right now. Three year warranty is up on the 23rd. Just was at the dealership for close to 3 weeks trying to fix this rattle/clunk sound I get. They replaced the front half shaft and said the noise was gone. I just got home and all the sounds I had were still there.

Basically when the vehicle's weight transfers over a hill at a decent speed (not crawling) I get this low pitched rattle/gurgle sound.

After a week at the dealership, they asked me to come take a ride with the tech to hear it because they couldn't make the car do it. I was able to have him hear it and they apparently determined it was the half shaft. Apparently it is not it.

I am frustrated since I have been chasing this there for almost 2 years and am no closer to fixing it now than I was back then except that the one tech did hear it.

My other dilemma is that besides the warranty expiring in 11 days, this is a lease I was planning on purchasing since I really like it but now I do not know what to do. I don't really have much saved for a down payment on another car and don't like buying pre-owned. Any opinions?

[MENTION=212786]royski[/MENTION]

If this has been documented with Ford, typically there is some carry over coverage.

I would engage Crystal on here and the management at the dealer for support.

[MENTION=212786]royski[/MENTION]

If this has been documented with Ford, typically there is some carry over coverage.

I would engage Crystal on here and the management at the dealer for support.

I am currently waiting for a service manager to call me back. I will say I have always been treated well at this dealership but this is just frustrating me. The car drives fine except for this noise which happens when the weight of the explorer carries over a hill or such. Also, seems to happen more noticeably when the car has been driving s bit.

Here's hoping they work with you on this.

Guess everyone's clunks and bangs have settled down??

FWIW: I will have my second strut replaced on my 2014 this week! Bottom plate is loose!

LMAO at FORD!!! :D

My 2013 Explorer clunking sound in the front end has been fixed. At least in the two days that I have had it. The problem was the lower control arm bushing that was wearing out. It took three visits and they found my issue only after another one came in making the same clunking, but louder, and they easisly found the problem and checked mine and sure enough, fixed.

Yet again

I've got a 2013 Explorer Sport with about 31500km. The front end has been clunking badly (metal on metal) and is scheduled to go in on Monday to inspect. This is the second time in about 3 months/5000km. The first time they indicated it was a bushing failure (repaired under warranty), although details on the service report weren't specific. I believe they said it was on a control arm. The online service report just says shocks/struts. Has anyone else had this problem? I gather that the initial problem caused some additional wear and tear on the joined parts (after the first bushing failed) which should have been replaced instead of just a bushing inserted and hence why the problem has recurred so quickly. This vehicle has not been driven hard since the first incident - heck, it's been relatively babied since I've bought it.

Yet again, I'm getting that same clunk in the front end of my Sport. I will be bringing it for service soon enough, but I have to say that with roughly 10K km more on the odometer, I'll be getting rid of this vehicle when I get a chance. This will mark the 4th and last time I will deal with this as I'm sure this should have been part of a recall, but then again I guess my expectations are too high for Ford.

I think the other side is starting to clunk, but just the beginning.... at least I know now what it is and when worse will take in to complete.

Yet again, I'm getting that same clunk in the front end of my Sport...
Hi tazcubed,

I recommend contacting my FordServiceCA colleages, if you haven’t already. They can be reached here. They will be happy to assist! :)

I think the other side is starting to clunk, but just the beginning.... at least I know now what it is and when worse will take in to complete.
Hello cwescapexlt4x4,

Let me look into this further. What’s the mileage on your Explorer?

Tricia

67k miles on mine, thanks [MENTION=157968]FordService[/MENTION]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

67k miles on mine, thanks [MENTION=157968]FordService[/MENTION]
You’re welcome, cwescapexlt4x4.

Please make an appointment at the dealer here. Let me know when it’s scheduled. Also, be sure to PM your full name, VIN, dealer, and best daytime phone number. I’ll loop in a customer service manager in your region to assist at that time! :)

Tricia

Back