Suddenly not starting and weird electrical problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Suddenly not starting and weird electrical problems

jman101

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer
So today my 99 explorer decided to not start. If I turn the key it won't turn over for a few seconds, and then start to turn over very slowly. There is also weird electrical problems. All the dash lights work but the passenger side windows won't roll down, the driver side ones will work sometimes. If if try rolling down the drivers side windows the radio will turn off like there's not enough power available to all the components. Is it maybe a battery issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd definitely start with either a jump on the battery or charging it.

How old is the battery? If you can, take it out, take it to an auto part store and have them load test it. They can also charge it.

Yup, battery was dead, jump start fixed it. Seemed weird since I hadn't left my headlights on or did anything other than my usual routine. Any way to tell if the battery was just crap (it's just under 2 years old) or if something is draining my battery?

Check your cables for high resistance and terminals for corrosion and good connection and check your grounds.

Sometimes batteries just die.

agree with Tom. Mine did weird stuff and then one day the alternator failed completely. I almost made it home.... :)

oh, and i had forgotten that my Ranger had a similar problem, the positive battery cable was failing, all corroded at the connection to the banjo thingy. it looked fine though.

Back