Are oil pump failures common on the 4.0 sohc? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Are oil pump failures common on the 4.0 sohc?

matt351

Reaction score
City, State
Terre Haute, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer
I just had mine go out and ruin the motor. I'm getting another engine with 98k on it to swap in. Just wondering if the pump going bad was a random bad part or if this is a common thing with these motors. Debating whether or not I should replace it on the new motor prior to dropping the motor in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, Oil Pumps Last 250K or More

Pumps are usually very reliable and can go many thousands of miles with no issues. A pump failure can be attributed to debris in the oil, broken oil pump drive shaft, or poor oil change maintenance. If you are doing the engine swap yourself you can always do this pump change easily while the engine is out of the car. On that note you might want to do the timing set and water pump at the same time since they are very excess able also. Please buy quality parts if you plan on doing this as the 98K Ford parts will probably out last the cheap ones.

I've been deliberating buying new cassettes for the timing setup and having it done while the motor is there on the ground. I was quoted $240 shipped for Ford cassettes. Should I go ahead and do it if the motor has under 100 on it? I'm super **** about maintenance so that's not to worry.

SOHC Timing Issues

With all the problems that the SOHC engines have with timing tensioners I would if it was mine. JMHO

I would change the front and back just to sleep well :)

Absolutely you should change the timing parts while it is out.

Broken bits from the old guides in the pickup tube is probably what took out the old pump.

Just out of my curiosity...

Did you consider installing a late model Mustang 4.0 liter? Lots of folks have installed low mileage 03-07 Mustang engines in Explorers and never had to look back...

Yes you can install new guides and tensioners in the 98 but you will need the special tools to do so... Depending on the cost of the 98 engine, the additional work and cost might get you to the late model Mustang engine cost...

Just a thought...

Hmm...

I hate to be a pain, but could someone tell me what part numbers I actually needfor the cloyes timing stuff from rockauto.com? I looked it up on there, but it mentions primary and secondary and left and right... kinda confusing me lol.

Where are the guys in these threads about the Mustang motor swaps finding them? $500 ish shipped for a motor with less than 50k on it? Heck everywhere I called wanted $1500 for one with under 100 on it.

Where are the guys in these threads about the Mustang motor swaps finding them? $500 ish shipped for a motor with less than 50k on it? Heck everywhere I called wanted $1500 for one with under 100 on it.

I would like to know as well.

oil pressure gauge

An oil pressure gauge is a valuable diagnostic tool for a vital engine operating element. It's a shame Ford chose to implement an oil pressure total failure gauge. In my opinion an aftermarket oil pressure gauge is a good investment.

Below are a couple of examples I found on car-parts.com in my area...

Engine
Ford Mustang 4.0,Auto 76,000 B 151394 $800 VA

Engine
Ford Mustang 82K, 06-10 4.0L (VIN N, 8TH DIGIT, SOHC) 82,866 B X0516 $850 San Antonio

I didn't do the swap because I don't have a SOHC Explorer to change the engine in but there are lower mileage engines out there...And remember these links were to swaps done 4-5 years ago...

Now those are a little bit close to what I was thinking pricewise. I don't know how these guys were finding low mileage engines 5 years ago for $500ish. I've been calling around all morning and I haven't found a Mustang engine for under $1500. My Google-Foo must not be very strong.

Back