A rough time to get back into the explorerforum | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A rough time to get back into the explorerforum

KajunBndit

Reaction score
City, State
Theriot, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004ExplorerSportTrac XLT
I have tried and tried to get back into the explorer forum for months. I even tried to reset my password. I never had gotten a replied back from the site. LOLOL I am glad that I wrote all those password down so I wouldn't repeat. Anyway, I had congestive heart failure in July of 2014, been rough but I am still alive, before that I had some ongoing projects that I was working on my sport trac. I had to put them aside because I wasn't working, weak, and just tired as hell. Well last week I felt a renewed vigor in trying to get some of these projects going again. Last year before my heart attack. Project one, I found a larger center console with added aux power points that is in very good shape, just not the color I wanted. So Last week I have started to sand some pieces to get them smooth then I will prime the pieces for ready to paint. Project 2 is partially done, I found a radio bezel and sanded it down and primed, ready to add driving lights to the front end of the truck, I have most of what I need for that project except some of the wiring, I have the switches and some of the wiring.
I have missed reading post from explorer forum and missing commenting, I have a lot of catching up. I have started receiving my disability but so far just making the ends meet. I am looking for a part time work but I don't know who may hire a middle age man in a wheelchair. I ask all who reads this post pray for me and my family and God bless you. I hope to see you around the Forum!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry for your health issues. Welcome back and I hope you feel better.

Thank you koda2000 and MuscelJunkie!

Come on everyone - there's gotta be some members down in Louisiana that can swing by and help KajunBndit with some projects.

Glad to see you're still Wheelin, even if it's in a wheel chair!

Welcome back. Praying for your continued improvement and looking forward to updates.

God bless you and may you have a speedy recovery

Thank you all for all your kind words! I drive my sporty when I am able to, when I don't drive, I let my wife chauffer me around. Not as fun as to drive my truck. LOLOLOL

I think I am pretty much caught on reading post that are interesting, I think over a year and a half of posts, lolol. I have been working on the console I would like to install in the truck, It's a full console with the air-conditioning vent towards the back. I have been sanding them down so that I can repaint it and thinking about putting LED's curtesy lights in the front and rear of the console. IT is taking me longer that I though in sanding it down but right now I really don't have to much else to do. I think the cargo for the console I will lightly sand and dress it up. I don't have the piece that I need for the air conditioner vent to attach to the dash yet and I may try to figure a way to hook it up without getting one. I am still aways to get there yet. When I can figure how to post pictures I will take pictures of what I have done so far. As for paint. I think I will paint it a dark grey with light paint to give it a two tone effect.
The next project I have is the radio bezel, I have one that I have already painted that has the double aux switches and the 4X4 switch, that one is my test paint job, that look like it would hold up to daily driving. I do have another bezel the same but w/o the 4X4 switch. I may use the one with the 4X4 and drill out the hole to put USB ports there. Then I need to work on wiring the driving lights and fog lamps. I am still asking for prayers for myself and family, I would like to be around for awhile to enjoy my grand daughter, she like playing with my beard. LOLOLOL Thank you.

I am still asking for prayers for myself and family, I would like to be around for awhile to enjoy my grand daughter, she like playing with my beard. LOLOLOL Thank you.

I'll be praying. I have an 8 month old granddaughter who likes to play with my beard. We have a great time together, and I'd like to be around her awhile too.

Regarding the console - I just went over mine with a Scotchbrite pad and cleaned it well. As you can see in the other thread, it was pretty scuffed up to start with. It doesn't show in the pics unless you look really, really close, but there are some flaws visible under the final coats of paint in my finished console. I thought it was the original scuffs showing until I saw the before pics. I think it's the way the uneven spray of the 1st coats of vinyl paint dried, and not due to my minimal prep because the flaws don't match the original scuffs and wear. My point is you might be doing more prep work than necessary, but then I tend to shortcut the prep.

LoL, I hear ya 429CJ, I just like smooth surfaces and not the little bumps you see and feel and I want to make sure that the primer hold well.

I'll be praying. I have an 8 month old granddaughter who likes to play with my beard. We have a great time together, and I'd like to be around her awhile too.

Regarding the console - I just went over mine with a Scotchbrite pad and cleaned it well. As you can see in the other thread, it was pretty scuffed up to start with. It doesn't show in the pics unless you look really, really close, but there are some flaws visible under the final coats of paint in my finished console. I thought it was the original scuffs showing until I saw the before pics. I think it's the way the uneven spray of the 1st coats of vinyl paint dried, and not due to my minimal prep because the flaws don't match the original scuffs and wear. My point is you might be doing more prep work than necessary, but then I tend to shortcut the prep.

I didn't do that much prep work either and didn't use a primer. With the slight texture of the Krylon Maxx, no flaws are visible on my pieces. I find that when your going for a smooth or glossy finish, the paint shrinks a bit as it dries and then scratches show up. I scotch-bright'ed and wet sanded my pieces with 200 wet/dry paper and them gave the pieces a thorough degreasing before painting. I'd guess the total time spent prepping for all my pieces was around 3-4 hours.

LMAO koda, I have been sanding mine for at least 2 weeks now. LOLOL. The pieces I have left is the rear of the console ,the a/c vent part and the passenger long side. I have been doing the small parts first because of all the cracks and cranny, takes longer, so I thought I would get them out of the way. When I done my radio bezel, after I had sanded it down, I had taken rubbing alcohol to take the rest of the dust and oils from my hands and the primer held great. It had been over a year ago I believe that I had did that. You can see the post in the forum, I had taken pictures of it.

Sorry you had such a hard time getting back into the site. You can always contact me directly if you have problems in the future.

Thank you Rick, I was just out of touch for awhile and forgotten my user id and password. LoLoLoL, Thank God I wrote all those password down so I didn't repeat. LoLoL

Back