• Register Today It's free!

94 explorer died ,wont start

Daniel77

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Limited 4.0
Hi everybody , sorry for not posting for a while . Just bought a new house .
been busy .
I have a 94 explorer limited .4.0 auto . left the house the other day truck started fine . to the store came out and the ex wont do nothing . All lights work .
But you turn the key and nothing .I have not messed with it yet . Thank god for free towing . any help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any clicking when you turn the key?

x2 on what 2stroke said. There should be a click at the fender and a click at the starter. Depending on which one you hear, that will help diagnose.

When you turn the key to START, does it make a click and then everything goes dead? Lights and chime, etc all shut off, perhaps coming back after several seconds? If so, look at the battery being shot or your electrical connections being bad.

94 ex wont start

thanks for the help guys , but it dont want to do nothing ,no clicking . the dash lights come on ,the door chimes . But nothing else . Had the starter checked , They said it was good .Im going to change the starter solenoid to see if this is the problem . Jumped it with a piece of wire and the engine turned over .
Will let you know what it does .

Thanks joey

If that is the case, I'm 95% certain the starter solenoid is bad. If not, its the ignition switch or related wiring.

Won't start.

Had the same problem on my 93 EB last week. Checked Battery voltage with my meter and it read 12.5 volts. Jumped the terminals on the fender relay and it had what looked to be a pretty descent spark. Pulled the battery and the label was Sept, 2011. New Battery fixed the problem. How old is your battery? Mine usually last 3 to 4 years here in the FL panhandle. When in Las Vegas had to buy new Batteries every 2 years.

ex wont start

Well it wasn't the starter solenoid. Still when you turn the key there is nothing.
If I tun the key on and jump the start wire and battery wire on the solenoid
the ex will start . the lock part on the ignition spins , It was this way when I bought it from this wanna be mechanic . May be the ignition switch is bad .
Like I said It is a 94 ex limited ,Is this switch hard to change ? (get to )
I seriously thinking of selling it . It came from southern Florida There is no rust.
would like to get $1,000 out of it . I put a lot of time and $$$$$ in it .

Don't get rid of it, it's an easy fix. The ignition switch is on the steering column, under the plastic.it's rectangular, one plug.I don't remember if it goes through a relay or not to the solenoid. Figure out which wire is for the starter solenoid and check for voltage at the ignition switch. If no power, it's the switch. If power, run a new wire to the solenoid (after confirming there is no relay)

Take a look at this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_O2YmNk_Wg

Do the same thing, even with a piece of wire. If the starter cranks over then you're missing power from the key to that nub on the solenoid. That's either caused by the ignition switch or the wiring in-between.

Keep in mind, the tumbler (where you put your key) only has a ground wire for the chimer. It being busted will have little to no effect on the electrical function. The heavy lifting is done closer to the floor on the steering column. The key just actuates a rod that moves the actual ignition switch.

If you don't want to diagnose that, just run a new wire from the points on my video going into the cabin and hook up a momentary push button switch.

Hi guys . Well still no start with ex . pulled wire harness from transmission and inner drivers fender . did continuity test found two broken wires.spliced new wire in and redid continuity test and all wires read good . put harness back on truck and still nothing .
took neutral safety switch out and found the plunger on the switch was stuck in side the switch , Had old switch from old transmission put it in and still nothing . don't know if switch is bad or not . It will still start if I jump the solenoid . I hate to just keep replacing parts . Hey may be I will find whats wrong . It wont do nothing when I turn the key .Door chimes .dash lights all work . What the %#$@*&%

Wire up a push button to start as a temp fix to get you around

Ok, I did check, and there doesn't appear to be any relay, just a wire to the solenoid. Since you found a broken wire, and verified they now work, you probably just have a blown fuse. I'm guessing there is a big one 20+ amp under the hood, and a smaller one for the ignition switch in the cab. If both are good, its the ignition switch.

%$#@&^*
Hi guys . Well still playing with ex . Still nothing . I'm thinking of replacing the ignition
switch . But where the %$#@^% is it ? chilton and other repair manuals says it on the
steering column ,but all i see is the multi function switch with a bunch of wires going in to it . Where is the switch ? I'm not talking about the key cylinder .

ex wont start

just checked all fuses, all are good .

%$#@&^*
Hi guys . Well still playing with ex . Still nothing . I'm thinking of replacing the ignition
switch . But where the %$#@^% is it ? chilton and other repair manuals says it on the
steering column ,but all i see is the multi function switch with a bunch of wires going in to it . Where is the switch ? I'm not talking about the key cylinder .

Much lower, down by the floor on the top of the steering column. I briefly go over it in my steering column swap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7W0pzd6sdA

ex wont start

well I changed the ignition switch .(not the key ignition ) and it still will not do any thing .%$#@&^ . Oh this is so mind boggling . I am tracing the red/blue wire off the starter solenoid . the wire diagram shows this wire comes from the ignition switch to a "clutch triple function switch ". (Auto trans) Then to the anti theft controller . What is the clutch triple function switch ? where is the anti theft controller ? I may just take it to a garage and let them figure it out .

I also have a '94 Limited. My alarm controller is under the left rear window inside and a bit in front of the removable panel where the rear window washer tank and tire jack resides. If/when the window leaks (there are other threads on this) the alarm unit will get wet and malfunction in various ways.

well found problem with ex .Broken ignition wire from ignition switch to starter solenoid.
Ran new wire and ex starts with key. Oh I am so glad this is fixed . I hate wire problems.
Iam looking for the air tube that runs from the maf sensor to the upper in take . any one have a good one laying around ? give me a hollar. Thank you for all of you that gave me help on this . Joey

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm glad you found the problem, but I think you will find electrical problems are much simpler with a multi meter and a diagram.

Back