Waranty Issues, help and advice needed. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Waranty Issues, help and advice needed.

notlim

Reaction score
City, State
edmonton alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 explorer sport
I have a 2013 ford explorer sport (bone stock) and I am from Canada. Americans, dont hold that against me. So I will give you the abridged version of the issues that I am having.

There is a rattle, buzzing sound coming from the front left a pillar area. I have taken it into my local dealer to have this issue resolved. They have replaced the exterior a pillar moldings 3 times. We have also driven the vehicle with the moldings removed and the noise is still present. They have removed and insulated the instrument panel. The dealer has also removed all dash trim panels that can be without removing the entire dash. The noise is still present when all of these panels are removed.

This is some of the things that have been done. I have had the vehicle into them about 7 or 8 times for the same issue. I have gone on numerous road tests with the shop foreman, both the shop foreman and the service manager agree that their is a problem. From my understanding they have used "hotline" ford technical service to help resolve them problem. I believe they have also talked to a ford engineer. Still unable to find or fix the problem. They can duplicate it on every road test. They just cant find the cause. The shop foreman / technician has road tested the vehicle for about 1000km's they have also had the vehicle in their possession for about 21days in just over the last month. While the vehicle was in their possession I received by mail a photo radar ticket. The only issue is they are unable to find out the root cause of the noise that is present, not to mention fix it.

The last time that I talked to them I spoke with the service adviser, customer service manager and the service manager. They all admit that the vehicle has a problem. They have now recommended that I take the vehicle to another dealer to have "a fresh set of eyes" look at it. While I agree that having a fresh set of eyes look at it can bring in new experience and maybe a solution. However this means that I need to start fresh with another dealer and go through the above to have my vehicle fixed. Any help that this forum is able to offer up is more than appreciated. I am frustrated at this noise and all that's involved in trying to get my vehicle fixed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would suggest that they check the cowl that runs along the bottom of the windshield. There are many members that have experience a similar noise and that is what it turned out to be. If the 'A' pillar cover was removed and the sound still exists then I would think that obviously that is not the problem.
Try taping down the cowl and testing again. Pinpointing sounds isn't always that simple. Please report back and if that is the issue I will merge this thread with the one on this issue. Thanks.

See also; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369831&highlight=cowl+noise+sound

Peter

Before I retired as a Master Tech, I used the following technique to locate sounds that were difficult to diagnose. If you will take an ordinary mechanics stethoscope and remove the sensor end and replace it with a hollow metal tube about two feet long and then search for the sound. This eliminates the effect of sound bouncing off adjacent areas and pinpoints where it is really coming from. Works really well when finding wind noise also. This has really saved me a lot of diagnostic time in the past. Try it, you will be amazed how one can be fooled by sound.

remove your plates before you leave the next dealership you drop it off at so they use their own and make sure they get you an equivalent vehicle of what you drive, before you do any of this make sure you talk to Ford customer relations and not an employee at the dealership where its currently at and tell them they gave up and you're fed up.

Maybe masking tape the entire left side pillar including the front edge of the door, wiper cowl etc and enter the vehicle using the passenger door, noise could also be behind the left front inner fender liner. Is the noise from inside or outside, is it speed related or over bumps etc etc

One easy thing to try that solved the noise I was getting in the same area.

Go buy some dry silicone spray. It MUST be dry silicone spray. You can get it at most auto parts stores.

Pull the weather stripping off the inside of the door (the weatherstripping that is attached to the body of the car). Start up by the instrument cluster and peel it off until you get to the rear of the door. No need to pull all of it off. Spray inside the weather stripping channel with the dry silicone spray. Wait a couple minutes until the silicone drys and push the weatherstripping back into place. See if you are still getting the noise after doing this. I can't promise it will solve your problem but for 6 bucks and about 10 minutes of your time its worth a shot. After taking my car to the dealer 4 times for a noise this is what ended up working for me :D

First off I want to say thank you for all the replies and help. I have an appointment with another local ford dealer on Monday. I am going to take in all the paperwork I have to try and help them out. The outside cowl under the windshield sounds like it could be a good possibility. I will definitely suggest that as a possible cause.

The only issue with using the stethoscope as suggested is that the noise is only made while driving, and its from the drivers side of the dash. So driving and using the stethoscope can be a little challenging. However at this point I am willing to try anything. I might try to go for a drive doing this before I drop it off on Monday.

As far as the speeding ticket, I am not to concerned with that. The dealer is paying the fine, and they were not going very fast over the speed limit. 12km/hr over. OR 7mph over. They have given me a rental once for 2 days. It was a ecoboost f150. Close enough to what I drive. Then Ford Canada stepped in and stated that because my vehicle is still drive able they will not cover a rental. I have been in a borrowed vehicle every other time mine has been in.

The dry silicone spray, yes I agree at this point anything is worth a try. It would be awesome if that was the fix. So simple.

I know its not anything that can cause me a break down on the highway, however its still a relatively new vehicle that is still worth a fair amount. My worry, that was started by the first ford dealer is for the safety of my family now. The original ford dealer said that it could be a broken spot weld or a problem with the sheet metal / frame (unibody) behind the dash. This is where the crumple zone in a accident is.

Once again thanks for the help and suggestions.

I've been maintaining and restoring cars for 45 years and just recently experienced a most unusual cause of noise from the driver's side A-pillar area of my sister-in-law's 2010 Ford Escape. She complained of a buzzing or whooshing noise whenever the car was driven. Nobody could find the cause. I asked her to leave the Escape with me one Friday evening, and promised that my car-enthusiast buddies and I would spend a few hours to attempt to find the cause of the noise.

We poked and prodded, tested for gaps in weatherstripping, and tightened pieces of trim to no avail. Finally, one of the guys suggested there might be a leak between the windshield and the body of the vehicle. I sprayed Windex around the exterior perimter of the windshield while one of my buddies was inside the car with a compressed-air hose connected to a blow gun. As he directed a blast of compressed air toward the inside of the windshield, bubbles appeared on the Windex near the driver's side A-pillar!

Apparently, when the urethane sealer between the glasss and steel was applied at the factory, there was a small gap remaining in the bead. That enabled air to find its way through the seal, and it created a buzzing or whooshing noise whenever the car was in motion. The solution was to have the entire windshield replaced.

I'm not saying that this is the cause of the noise decribed here, but it's worth consideration.

Check the bolts on the window glass at the bottom. Had a annoying rattle sound on the right side and couldn't find it. Fortunately/unfortunately I had a minor accident which required the passenger window replaced and lo and behold the rattle is gone.

ALWAYS use safety when diagnosing moving sounds by having someone drive and someone else use the stethoscope.

ALWAYS use safety when diagnosing moving sounds by having someone drive and someone else use the stethoscope.
That would be the person running alongside the Explorer.:D

Peter

Or maybe tied down to the roof rack?

Back