Dealer did not follow TSB??

FlyBoy789

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 F150 Super Crew XLT
Hello All -

I'm new to the forum and new to the Ford Explorer. I purchased it a few weeks ago and immediately found that my 2012 Explorer suffered from the A-Pillar buzz. So I took it to my local dealer to have the TSB preformed. I took the car on a test drive with the service manager and he heard the noise. He just called me and said my Explorer was ready and that they "Re-Bonded" the a-pillars and did not replace them as outlined in the TSB. I'm a little frustrated that the vehicle has the problem outlined in the TSB yet they did not follow it... They simply applied their own "Fix"

Is this ok? Should I insist they replace the parts as outlined in the TSB?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They replaced my a-pillars per the TSB and my wind noise is actually worse now than before. I think they replaced the pillars but did not follow the actual install instructions listed in the TSB. They just threw them on. Now I have to have Cory assist in getting it done again.

Cory put me in contact with a very nice customer service rep from Ford who was able to set this appt. up with my local dealer.

I'm off to go pick up the Explorer now and test drive it again with the service manager. Let's see if the parts required for the TSB are listed on my receipt. If not they get to keep the car till it's done right...

...Now I have to have Cory assist in getting it done again.
cnsheets,

I arranged for you to be called again and sent a PM with the details.

Cory put me in contact with a very nice customer service rep from Ford who was able to set this appt. up with my local dealer...
I’m glad to help, FlyBoy789; thanks for keeping us in the loop. :)

Cory

Thanks Cory. I sent you a reply.

So I just got back from picking up the Explorer. I confirmed they did NOT replace the parts outlined in the TSB. They simply glopped up the old ones with windshield adhesive.

Is this an acceptable fix? The service manager states they have a service tech that does nothing but windshields/glass and this is what he has been doing to Explorers with the problem but he would order the new parts if I want him to. As for now the noise is gone but I don't want this problem to come back because it wasn't done "right" the first time.

photo.jpg

I dont think the tsb really fixes it....as cnsheets experienced, when they replaced my A pillars the noise got worse... Then when i took it back they replaced "fixed" it by putting sealant under it like yours and honestly, i dont know if that helped completely. I still get wind noise but not as much.. dunno if i should throw up my hands and just deal with it or let them try to fix it a fourth time.

Thanks Cory. I sent you a reply.
You got it, cnsheets. A little birdie told me you spoke with Mark. :)

So I just got back from picking up the Explorer. I confirmed they did NOT replace the parts outlined in the TSB. They simply glopped up the old ones with windshield adhesive...
...I still get wind noise but not as much.. dunno if i should throw up my hands and just deal with it or let them try to fix it a fourth time.
FlyBoy789 & bluelion,

Please don’t hesitate to shoot a PM, and I’ll be happy to forward the details for you.

Cory

I just got off the phone with the dealers service advisor and he seemed sceptical about the noise I'm hearing being worse. I'm taking it in Friday so we will see. He questioned why I am just now bringing it up rather than right after I had the TSB done. I told him because I was trying to "deal" with it but got tired of turning the radio up to drown the noise out. Also mentioned I need the rain noise TSB done as well.

Yeah. I'm not to happy. Now whoever gets to fix this next has hours of work to scrap off all the glue... It won't be going back to the dealer that made this mess...

Someone on here said their new a-pillars had a strip of foam underneath that could be seen by lifting the rubber edge. The poster never posted any pictures. mine do not have this. Curious if anyone whos had a successful TSB could look under the rubber edge and take a picture. That junk would definitely piss me off.

not acceptable. Haul them into court if they refuse to do it properly. Mine is whisper quiet. No glop. Even the way they put it on is messy.

What does yours look like? Any glue under that rubber flap that sits on the glass? Would you mind snapping a pic?

Hey Fly Boy. I'm thinking of trading my 03 X for a 2013 in Orlando.What are the initials of the dealer you went to.I will not buy from them.

Hello All -

I'm new to the forum and new to the Ford Explorer. I purchased it a few weeks ago and immediately found that my 2012 Explorer suffered from the A-Pillar buzz. So I took it to my local dealer to have the TSB preformed. I took the car on a test drive with the service manager and he heard the noise. He just called me and said my Explorer was ready and that they "Re-Bonded" the a-pillars and did not replace them as outlined in the TSB. I'm a little frustrated that the vehicle has the problem outlined in the TSB yet they did not follow it... They simply applied their own "Fix"

Is this ok? Should I insist they replace the parts as outlined in the TSB?

I suspect my a pillar fix was the same as yours. It was done by the dealers regular windshield guy, not the service tech. I was suspicious since there was some "glop" at the base of the plastic strip on one side. The plastic strip is completely sealed and you cannot separated it at all. I was upset at first but I have to say it has totally fixed the problem, no hint of noise. I did not gripe to the dealer but will if the problem returns. This fix was one I thought about doing myself with some sort of adhesive but didn't when the TSB came out.

Hey Fly Boy. I'm thinking of trading my 03 X for a 2013 in Orlando.What are the initials of the dealer you went to.I will not buy from them.

G####### Ford on Hwy 50 right off 417. I actually bought my Explorer from a dealer in Avon Park almost 2 hrs away. They gave me a much better deal!

Feel free to shoot me a PM

photobucket-6237-1332192882686-1.jpg

There is a foam gasket running the length of the A pillar. It doesn't go down to the flap at the bottom. It stops at the hard plastic applique. Funny thing is it's only on one side. The drivers side. There is no glop of glue. Haven't had any noise either. Remarkably quiet.:D

Thanks for taking a pic for me!

I can't even lift up that rubber part anymore. It's glued down from top to bottom... And looks messy...

Lift the rubber above that that contacts the glass. Look under that edge. Pic please :)

That is this pic, under the rubber gasket. Very hard to get a good pic. Don't want to pry to hard as it may cause damage to the clips underneath. Don't mess with a good thing I always say.

Don't mess with a good thing I always say.

Guess your one of the lucky ones :)

This is just making me mad now - I shouldn't have to be dealing with something like this on a brand new 30k+ vehicle.

Oh, did I mention the dealer was nice enough to give me a rental so I could get to work - a Ford Fiesta... Fair trade don't ya think? 30k SUV for a 12k sub-compact. :mad:

It's :chug: time... I'll post some more pics of the messy job tomorrow if any of you wanna see

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My A pillar fix for both sides were done in January. There is no glue or other globs. It was done with the latest TSB. When you lift the rubber you can see foam attached to it. I have no more buzzing or whistle sounds. The problem with putting any glue or silicone according to my service manager is that when you have to replace the windshield the plastic A pillars need to be removed along with all the glue. You need to get the correct fix as the foam is attached to the rubber and just presses down against the windshield to make future windshield replacement eaiser.

Back