Thinking of Ditching the Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thinking of Ditching the Explorer

I'm sure the above would apply to the majority of manufacturers, and not just in the automotive field.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wow... six issues isn't that bad?

How much is too much? It seems normal for me. Again I'm a young owner. My previous car was a Scion Tc with zero technology and zero issues but it cost about $20K. My Explorer is twice the cost.

I'm sure the above would apply to the majority of manufacturers, and not just in the automotive field.

Peter
Yes, in part. Though I wonder if there any other huge businesses facing such a significant change in the next decade.

And at the same time there are companies like Tesla, Subaru, etc. treating their customers with more respect and honesty.

From conversations with engineers at Ford, EVERY decision is driven by the dollar/stock price. I mentioned the terrible thumping when driving with a window down and was told the fix was an 8 cent piece of plastic that was denied because of the cost. I get it.

Ford is BIG business, profit driven for the short term. Look at the future of the industry and it is obvious why: vehicle life expectancy is at an all-time high, technology is rapidly reducing the frequency and seriousness of wrecks (fewer totalled vehicles to be replaced), Uber and others are reducing the need for vehicles, the younger drivers are losing interest in car ownership/driving, etc. But perhaps the biggest threat is the advent of self-driving cars and the ability to share ownership of a vehicle. Ten years from now I may own a small share of a car that picks me up when summoned then drops me off and goes on to the next user. Imagine what that model does to total vehicle sales! Ford Corporate has likely already seen the economics and is currently selling everything they can to make as much money as possible while the market holds. Quality is no longer Job #1, quantity is most important. Having millions of failing vehicles on the road will at least guarantee revenue from parts and service for both Corporate and the massive dealer network.

You nailed it, it's all about revenue, margins and ultimately share price. The automotive industry has moved slow over the years using the same basic principals. Only because of the recession did the automotive manufactures finally come up to speed in increasing miles per gallon, hybrid cars, etc. Because of very little innovation over the last 70 years or so, the industry is ripe for a paradigm shift and this shift could be led by the high tech companies that clearly see an opportunity.

If that is true and Ford is just building for revenue and planned to build these things so bad that people will need to service them a lot. I'm not giving them money anymore. I'm buying a Tesla. At least Tesla has always stuck by their product, and it's electric. There's no transmission. Just a motor with a single reduction gear. Torque delivery that outdoes any turbocharger any day. Best crash ratings. Great technology. Not much to break at all except for maybe some of the small luxury features inside. There's even a 30K one coming out called the Model 3. Big plus is you don't need any gas at all, and there's literally no maintenance. You basically only pay around 3 or 4 dollars for a range of 250 miles. Compare that with a 40 dollar tank of gas... My professor has one and he gave me a ride. I also test drove one. Really nice cars and seem solidly built.

From conversations with engineers at Ford, EVERY decision is driven by the dollar/stock price. I mentioned the terrible thumping when driving with a window down and was told the fix was an 8 cent piece of plastic that was denied because of the cost. I get it.

Ford is BIG business, profit driven for the short term. Look at the future of the industry and it is obvious why: vehicle life expectancy is at an all-time high, technology is rapidly reducing the frequency and seriousness of wrecks (fewer totalled vehicles to be replaced), Uber and others are reducing the need for vehicles, the younger drivers are losing interest in car ownership/driving, etc. But perhaps the biggest threat is the advent of self-driving cars and the ability to share ownership of a vehicle. Ten years from now I may own a small share of a car that picks me up when summoned then drops me off and goes on to the next user. Imagine what that model does to total vehicle sales! Ford Corporate has likely already seen the economics and is currently selling everything they can to make as much money as possible while the market holds. Quality is no longer Job #1, quantity is most important. Having millions of failing vehicles on the road will at least guarantee revenue from parts and service for both Corporate and the massive dealer network.

I am very sure it came down to something like that for several choices on this and every other car. It is not surprising nor do I blame them for it, however when those choices are becoming increasingly more negative to the consumer and Ford hears about it they should make changes IMHO.

I agree to this, but yet there are many car companies that under the same conditions manage to build a decent product. My last 3 Ford's were problematic; the 2015 Limited my wife drives is under 10000km, but has been 8 times back in the shop now. And its going again, because both the driver and left passenger door have a nasty squeak when accelerating and breaking. My observation is that Ford does not build improvements in its product over its production live; it has still engineering defects. The other is, they are just not well put together. If that is because of quality control, or demotivated production line folks I have no idea; but my car has several very visible manufacturing defects, yet they allowed it to leave the factory (and the dealer as well). Not just this car, but also my the 2 previous Ford's I owned were that problematic; this cannot be bad luck anymore. I have a feeling Ford does not care and is now building nice looking but lousy products

We stepped away from Ford's after 30 years of buying. I bought for my self a new Toyota Landcruiser 6 months ago; it was the same price as my wife's Explorer... but what a huge difference in build quality and quality feel! It is perfect and never had to go back yet, except for an oil change. Next out of our garage is the Explorer; we have not decided what car we buy.... but no Ford again.

This is total BS and a bunch of speculation.

I think its plausible considering my experience with Ford, and what I have been reading on this forum for several years! (which I also thought was a total BS...). Wake up!

Whats interesting is how busy the Ford dealership's service departments are in the Phoenix area. Then when i bring my 2016 sport in for the fan noise for the second time being replaced and the memory seats not working it takes them two trips to fix them... I am also a disappointed Ford person. My 2011 fusion had front left and right control arms replaced and a new starter at 70,000 miles. $2,000.00 out of pocket. Im about ready to try GMC

So you joined the forum June 1 to tell us you were getting rid of your Explorer?

OK.

With all the newer vehicles getting more and more technical and carrying longer warranties all service departments are going to be busy.

I also haven't seen a service department that has been able to fix a vehicle in one trip unless they keep the vehicle for a week or more. Usually the first trip is for them to figure out the problem and then order the parts. Then the second trip is to fix it.

With all the newer vehicles getting more and more technical and carrying longer warranties all service departments are going to be busy.

I also haven't seen a service department that has been able to fix a vehicle in one trip unless they keep the vehicle for a week or more. Usually the first trip is for them to figure out the problem and then order the parts. Then the second trip is to fix it.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
In regards to your comment on service departments, I can recall that happening once in the past 17 years. Active Park Assist error on my 2011 Explorer was diagnosed as a bad right front sensor and had to be ordered. Not having parts in stock is not unusual or unexpected. Years ago that all changed when many companies stopped carrying a large inventory due to costs. I think this situation is also more common when replacement parts have to be OEM, otherwise many shops order parts from local automotive supply stores and have them delivered within the hour.

Peter

Feeling good about my purchase after reading this. Should have read this before purchasing my 2016 Explorer.

I've just passed one year with the vehicle and I have to say I am very dis-appointed. The paint is awful, I have Shadow Black, so the paint imperfections a very noticeable. I found 3 blister spots, tiny, looked like dust under the paint, but after a wash they pulled off to reveal white color underneath. Then its onto fit and finish. The glass panels on the rear quarter are not placed correctly, it looks like the glass was set in and the glass slid down and has no gap on the bottom edge of the panel. The glass trim on one side is to short on the rear passenger door, the glass trim on the driver side rear passenger door is to large and a gap is there and I just know there is water going into that gap. Interior is no different. A thud from the dashboard somewhere that can be heard on almost every bump. Its best described as the sound a metal cup would make if bounced in a cup holder. A clunk coming from the rear, which i assume is the seats not sitting or latched correctly to stop movement or vibration. Door creak on drivers door from the door not seating firmly. Rattle in passenger door that make the radio almost unlistenable. Turn signal arm that rattles lightly, but just enough to noticed and make you question spending 54000.00$ on a Ford.

I owned a GM vehicle for years, and I left and came to Ford because the designs at GM were getting too vanilla. The Explorer caught my eye, especially with the redesign. But had I known I'd have this many quality issues one year later, I'd have stuck with vanilla.

Remember- Quality is job #1, and the dealer that makes the difference.

And yes they are taking applications for QC at the Chicago plant since ole Ernie retired last year

Feeling good about my purchase after reading this. Should have read this before purchasing my 2016 Explorer.

I've just passed one year with the vehicle and I have to say I am very dis-appointed. The paint is awful, I have Shadow Black, so the paint imperfections a very noticeable. I found 3 blister spots, tiny, looked like dust under the paint, but after a wash they pulled off to reveal white color underneath. Then its onto fit and finish. The glass panels on the rear quarter are not placed correctly, it looks like the glass was set in and the glass slid down and has no gap on the bottom edge of the panel. The glass trim on one side is to short on the rear passenger door, the glass trim on the driver side rear passenger door is to large and a gap is there and I just know there is water going into that gap. Interior is no different. A thud from the dashboard somewhere that can be heard on almost every bump. Its best described as the sound a metal cup would make if bounced in a cup holder. A clunk coming from the rear, which i assume is the seats not sitting or latched correctly to stop movement or vibration. Door creak on drivers door from the door not seating firmly. Rattle in passenger door that make the radio almost unlistenable. Turn signal arm that rattles lightly, but just enough to noticed and make you question spending 54000.00$ on a Ford.

I owned a GM vehicle for years, and I left and came to Ford because the designs at GM were getting too vanilla. The Explorer caught my eye, especially with the redesign. But had I known I'd have this many quality issues one year later, I'd have stuck with vanilla.

Well Multi function switch is fixed, glass has been fixed to. But the door rattle continues after three repair attempts, going to try for the fourth time in spring. And the best for last. The rear seats, they replaced the latches and the "clunck" continues. Their solution: Advised customer to lay seats flats unless required.......no really it says that on the W/O! WTF Ford?!?

Well Multi function switch is fixed, glass has been fixed to. But the door rattle continues after three repair attempts, going to try for the fourth time in spring. And the best for last. The rear seats, they replaced the latches and the "clunck" continues. Their solution: Advised customer to lay seats flats unless required.......no really it says that on the W/O! WTF Ford?!?

Lemon Law time

Go to the dealership and have them look at your complaints. I got a 16 sport and it has not had a single issue you are describing. Have them sit in your car so they can mimic your complaints. I know Ford likes to cut corners but this sounds like something else.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back