Why I am having trouble buying a new Explorer | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Why I am having trouble buying a new Explorer

I would recommend checking out the Durango Citadel. The material quality in the Citadel was excellent. The leather held up very well and there was absolutely no wear over the time that I owned it. .

Nice Car. Its All wheel drive. Consumer reports indicates its a big Grand Cherokee. Don't like the push button shift.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice Car. Its All wheel drive. Consumer reports indicates its a big Grand Cherokee. Don't like the push button shift.

It doesn't have push button shift. It has a knob/dial like some of the higher end bmws. The quality of the Citadel matches the interior quality of the Grand Cherokee Summit with the exception of not having a leather-wrapped dash. I have family in a Grand Cherokee Summit. Personally, I love the exterior of the Jeep, but I preferred the larger interior of the Durango.

It doesn't have push button shift. It has a knob/dial like some of the higher end bmws. The quality of the Citadel matches the interior quality of the Grand Cherokee Summit with the exception of not having a leather-wrapped dash. I have family in a Grand Cherokee Summit. Personally, I love the exterior of the Jeep, but I preferred the larger interior of the Durango.

Not quite. Whilst the Citadel has Nappa Leather seating surfaces, the Summit has full Natura Plus (now moved to Laguana Leather for '17) additionally, the armrests etc. are leather on the Summit vs. protein vinyl on the Citadel. GC also has wrapped pillars, alcantara headliner and real wood trim.

It is a good truck, however, much like the GC, it has been plagued with reliability issues and was cancelled recently. Sales target was 60K per year but it always struggled.

Not quite. Whilst the Citadel has Nappa Leather seating surfaces, the Summit has full Natura Plus (now moved to Laguana Leather for '17) additionally, the armrests etc. are leather on the Summit vs. protein vinyl on the Citadel. GC also has wrapped pillars, alcantara headliner and real wood trim.

Both families couldn't tell the difference between the feel of the leathers. I'm pretty sure the naming conventions are more for hype than anything else. The armrest on the console in my Durango was leather. I believe you are referring to the side armrests. As for the wrapped pillars, the Citadel had cloth wrap. Never paid attention in the GC. I found it to be an enjoyable vehicle and a lot for the money, but I'm very happy to be back in an Explorer.

Both families couldn't tell the difference between the feel of the leathers. I'm pretty sure the naming conventions are more for hype than anything else. The armrest on the console in my Durango was leather. I believe you are referring to the side armrests. As for the wrapped pillars, the Citadel had cloth wrap. Never paid attention in the GC. I found it to be an enjoyable vehicle and a lot for the money, but I'm very happy to be back in an Explorer.
Its interesting hearing the different perspectives. I have had flats hundreds of miles from home, so I'm hung up on the absence of a full size spare. ....and I don't want to stop every 300 miles for gas.
I'm going to wait till the fall (next month or 2) and then I'll have to make a decision. My wife points out that our current 2010 Exp is still fine, I can always wait a year.

I doubt that you will ever see a larger fuel tank from Ford, perhaps a aftermarket company will build one if there is enough demand. As for filling up every 300 miles, don't you like to get out and stretch a little and walk around some to get the kinks out? I know my diesel will go 600-700 miles with no load but I stop and walk around a little every 200-300 miles.

As for your tire, carry a can of fix-a-flat and a 12 volt compressor. Then if you have a flat just shoot the gunk from the fix-a-flat into the tire and top it off with the compressor and go. Or carry a plugging kit, plug the hole, fill the tire and go. That is if you don't ruin the tire by driving on it while it is flat or it blows out.

If you want a full size spare then the spare tire well can go and you can use if for the extra fuel.

Then all you need to do is to figure out what to do with your full size spare, perhaps throw it up onto the roof rack.

Let's see, 18.6 (fuel tank capacity) X 16.2 (what I get currently driving surface streets with little highway/freeway driving) = 301.32 MPG. That's acceptable, IMO. I've used nothing but, 92 octane premium in my X since day one, just for reference. I also now have a Livernois 93 tune installed so, I expect mileage will go up a little. I think I can expect to get the rated 22 MPG for highway driving and would not be surprised to get better than that. So, 22 X 18.6 = 409 miles. Again, quite acceptable and what's not to like? I would be 'taking a break' every couple hundred miles so it would be rest stop then, gas station.

When I had my '13 Mustang GT/CS with the 5 litre, I easily got 26 MPG highway while crossing a mountain range (Cascades). It only had a 16.7 gallon tank and with that mileage, I could expect to go in excess of 430 miles. The size of the tank didn't really figure into how far I could go on that tank within in reason and to my mind, that was quite reasonable. I suppose if you want to get 500 miles or better these days, you'll need to get a rig bigger than an Explorer or keep the Explorer with the 25 gallon tank. But, does it really matter that much? No matter where you go or what size tank you have, you'll still be spending just as much on gas, depending on your mileage. The only difference is, are you going to drive further than a couple of hundred miles at a stint. I know that when I drive a long distance, I never have gotten to the 'E' before filling up again mainly because it's not a good idea with the fuel pump in the tank and the need to keep it cool. When the low fuel indicator turns on, I'm looking to fill up.

I know that people are different and have different ideas on this stuff but, I don't really think it is so different than how I approach it.

As far as having a full size spare, that would be nice but, it's not happening with the new Explorers. Having that as a must is limiting your variety but, if you are prone to flats, I guess it is a big priority. I can count on one hand the times I've had a flat over the many years I've been driving and only one time I had to pull over to change it out and that was less than a 1/4 mile from my home. Recently, I got a screw in one of my tires on the Ex and it went flat in my driveway. I found out about it when I was going to drive the Ex as the tire warning light stayed on when I started it up. Upon inspection, it was the right rear tire so, I took out my portable air compressor and filled it back up and went about my business. When I returned, I thought this is a good opportunity to change out that tire and try out the puny spare that was supplied with the Ex so I changed it out. The next day, with the puny spare mounted, I went to my local Goodyear to get the real tire repaired. I drove on that puny spare up and back and all I wanted to do is to get that thing off of their and mount the real tire back on. With that spare mounted obviously, the tire warning light remains on and I found that a bit annoying but, the bottom line was, it forced me to get the tire repaired and back on the Ex using that puny spare. That was the first time I ever used this kind of spare so my track record is pretty good in that respect. My 10 year old Ranger has one of these also but, I've never had a flat tire in the Ranger so, the spare is in the same place it was originally mounted when new, where it belongs. Other than my own experience with flats, I don't know what point I'm trying to make here so, I'll stop yapping about it. :dead:
:thumbsup:

.........Then all you need to do is to figure out what to do with your full size spare, perhaps throw it up onto the roof rack.
Roof rack is designed for 45 lbs max with moonroof, 100 lbs without. Not sure what a full size spare weighs but carrying it on the roof would sure decrease your mpg. Putting the tank in place of the tire well brings back memories of exploding Pintos. Been driving for 53 years and have never had to pull over due to a flat tire.

Peter

In an interesting turn of events, I drove over a very large screw (like a 1/4" with a. hex head big). Thankfully it didn't penetrate the tire, but at the time I assumed it did, so put the donut on and took it straight to Costco to get repaired. I can confidently say there is absolutely no way you could modify your explorer to fit a full sized spare inside the vehicle without sacrificing lots of storage and removing the third row. I agree if you wanted to go that route, I'd go with a roof mount solution. The only other option would be questionable and require tones of custom fabrication - removing donut well, closing up the hole and making a retractable under-carriage mount for a full sized spare, but that might not even fit or be safe between the exhaust pipes.

The only other option would be questionable and require tons of custom fabrication - removing donut well, closing up the hole and making a retractable under-carriage mount for a full sized spare, but that might not even fit or be safe between the exhaust pipes.
or I buy the GC, 4runner, or Durango.
Perhaps this will filter back to Ford and they will add yet another the trim... ...XLT, limited, sport, Platinum, and now "Retrofit". The later will have a 21 gallon take, full size spare, and perhaps a truck frame. I would be happy with the first 2.

or I buy the GC, 4runner, or Durango.
Perhaps this will filter back to Ford and they will add yet another the trim... ...XLT, limited, sport, Platinum, and now "Retrofit". The later will have a 21 gallon take, full size spare, and perhaps a truck frame. I would be happy with the first 2.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that one.

I can count on one hand the times I've had a flat over the many years I've been driving and only one time I had to pull over to change it out and that was less than a 1/4 mile from my home...
As a counterpoint...

Over the 4th of July holiday, I took a huge piece of something in my right rear tire immediately as I was exiting Glenwood Springs, Colorado eastbound into Glenwood Canyon - while towing a trailer. 4 hours from home.

This is not a good place to lose a tire; there is nowhere to turn around for miles and it would be utterly terrifying at best to change a tire on the side of the interstate due to the geometry of the highway in that canyon. Thank God I made it the 13 miles to the other side before the tire lost too much air to drive.

I was able to make it to Gypsum where there is a station, and since my Explorer is a wheezy old 2004 I had a full-size spare. I then had to proceed up and over Vail Pass followed by the Eisenhower Tunnel pass and then down the long hill to Denver. Again, trailer.

I would not have wanted to do any of that on a doughnut, especially with the trailer. I've had to eliminate a new Explorer from my list because of the full-size spare issue. If I were driving it around town only, as most do, a doughnut would be fine. My needs are different.

I wish the Explorer still used the "up and under" spare storage approach like my old one does. That way Ford could cheap out by packaging it with a doughnut, and I could then replace it with a full size spare in the same spot. I think I can do that on a Highlander, which has moved into our top consideration spot.

Here's the amazingly huge piece of something that found its way into my tire. I could drive over this thing 100 more times and I imagine it would not find the correct angle to get in again.

13631551_10154378734899172_3875341799407451223_n.jpg

I know.
Well My current explorer can last another year; maybe Jeep will lengthen the Grand Cherokee
Rumors are strong that they are bringing the Wagoneer name back as a 3-row SUV larger than the JGC. Not for a few years, though.

Interesting thread...

I'm not really sure what the fetish for a larger gas tank is. If you use premium over regular, you'll get more range -- and the cost difference is negligible per mile. The newer Explorers have more fuel efficient engines. While I just bought a 2017 Explorer Sport a week ago, it compares directly to the 2007 Jeep Commander V8 5.7L Hemi I used to have, except my Explorer gets 13 real-world MPG (still breaking in and varying speeds heavily) while the Commander only got 9. Basically, you have to factor in everything -- total range.

I get the desire for a full-size spare. But if that's important to you, theoretically it might be possible to factory order the 3rd row seats deleted, and go the police interceptor route with the full sized spare. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...3rd-row-delete-police-package-install.419317/. Installing it on the roof would be stupid (increased wind noise + negative impact on fuel economy). Seriously doubt that's possible. Unless you are hauling trailers in winding mountains like the above poster... if you get a flat, you can just put on the spare and deal with it - however rare that happens.

I like Jeeps as I used to own one. Jeeps are total junk now. Everything is made out of plastic now... no bumpers, no 7 seaters. If you want a bumper, you have to get the impractical Rubicon. My brother is a Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler mechanic. Let's just say business is good for him. All three are at the bottom of the gutter as far as reliability is concerned, and they depreciate hard. I cross shopped everything. I bought a Ford -- deals were amazing. If I was richer, I would have gone for the Q7 -- more my kind of car, but I hated that it cost 50% more and came with RFT and no spare. Also they are in high demand because it's a total redesign and there is very little room for negotiation.

None of the Japanese brands have powerful engines, and the Durango looks like a grampa-mobile. However I wished the Explorer had a ZF-8.

Anyways, good luck with your search :)

Interesting thread...

I'm not really sure what the fetish for a larger gas tank is. If you use premium over regular, you'll get more range -- and the cost difference is negligible per mile.
Using 91 for a few months instead of 87 made no noticeable difference in mine. I haven't tried 94 since the cost difference between 87 and 94 here is 96 cents a gallon. To me paying an extra $15 or so per fill up is not something I would not even consider since it's running just fine on 87.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I get the desire for a full-size spare. But if that's important to you, theoretically it might be possible to factory order the 3rd row seats deleted, and go the police interceptor route with the full sized spare.
For me, that would just be trading one showstopper for another. Our kids are approaching their teen years and we want their friends traveling with us more than we want them traveling with their friends. So, 3 rows is a must.

I like Jeeps as I used to own one. Jeeps are total junk now. Everything is made out of plastic now... no bumpers, no 7 seaters. If you want a bumper, you have to get the impractical Rubicon. My brother is a Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler mechanic. Let's just say business is good for him. All three are at the bottom of the gutter as far as reliability is concerned...
That's the pot calling the kettle black, a bit. Explorer predicted reliability is, literally, no better than Jeep. For top-tier reliability, it's still the Japanese and, astoundingly, Porsche.

To your point, I sure wish the Japanese trucks had better engines. The new Pilot isn't bad as it's been turning in low 6 0-60 times in the tests I've seen. But the new design is totally mommy-mobile. I'm not driving up in one of those. The 2017 Highlander will have a (slightly) more powerful engine and an 8-speed transmission, though not a ZF. I'm hoping I like it more than the 2016 I drove a few months back, which was really boring. I did drive it right after an Explorer Sport.

Back