Air Bag Light / Seat Belt Warning | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

It is also worth mentioning that the restraint systems are generally covered under a separate warranty, something like 5 or 6 years if memory serves and a boatload of mileage.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is also worth mentioning that the restraint systems are generally covered under a separate warranty, something like 5 or 6 years if memory serves and a boatload of mileage.
The Warranty Guide shows 5 years, 60k miles for the Safety Restraint System. It is Also covered under the ESP.

Peter

add my 2016 Sport to the list. I swear I am having every issue in the book with my truck.

I also have a 2012 explorer and my drivers side air bag light comes on and off for almost a year now. I can't tell how much I have paid out of pocket in the last two years as I have 90k miles and out of warranty.

Last time a ford rep from here called me and my dealer and helped me when my PTU failed, so any ford reps reading this please respond. Seems even if you guys can't cover any cost my dealership does a great job when you guys intervene.

Thanks and regards,
Darrin

UPDate: Took to dealer and they diagnostic and 400 bucks later 1.4 hrs and som eletrical grease light was off.... Today woke up started car and light back on, ruined my whole day...... So back to the dealer fo a this issue, they just had it for three days on a different issue !!!!!!

My airbag trouble light intermittently comes on and sometimes stays on for days/weeks and then goes off and then returns.
Anyone with this issue? Thoughts? Suggestions?

UPDate: Took to dealer and they diagnostic and 400 bucks later 1.4 hrs and som eletrical grease light was off.... Today woke up started car and light back on, ruined my whole day...... So back to the dealer fo a this issue, they just had it for three days on a different issue !!!!!!
Any update?

My airbag trouble light intermittently comes on and sometimes stays on for days/weeks and then goes off and then returns.
Anyone with this issue? Thoughts? Suggestions?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:Using the Forum's handy 'Search' feature is one way of finding existing threads on issues. Yours has been merged with this one.

Peter

Have a 2012 explorer airbag light is staying on help

Hi Folks,

2016 sport. My airbag light came on the other day while driving. It does not blink or anything, just stays illuminated after the car is turned on. Any ideas? Im bringing it to the dealer next week.

Thanks

Need to scan for codes.

We just recently experienced this with our 2012 Ford Explorer with 88k kms on the vehicle. The bill to complete this work was almost $400CAD.

I contacted the Ford of Canada rep through a PM on this web site and they did nothing.

I would urge all Canadian owners that experience this to go to the Transport Canada web site:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehiclesafety/reporting-defects-motor-vehicles.html

Report this and let's put some pressure on Ford to fix this glaring safety issue at their expense. I urge US owners to do the same through NHTSA.

What was the diagnosis, @NGTD? Do you have the codes they pulled and information on the repair performed?

I contacted the Ford of Canada rep through a PM on this web site and they did nothing.
There is only so much the reps here can do. Their job is to put you in touch with the Regional Customer Service Managers who then take the case. The managers are the ones that are in touch with the dealers, not the reps here. They are basically a go between the customer and the Regional Managers to bring issues to their attention. According to your initial post on this issue, a Ford rep did get in touch with you and requested info from you so it can be sent/escalated to the Regional Manager. That, as I mentioned, is their job here. If you sent the requested info, then it was either that Manager or dealer who did nothing or was not able to help due to one reason or another.

Peter

There is only so much the reps here can do. Their job is to put you in touch with the Regional Customer Service Managers who then take the case. The managers are the ones that are in touch with the dealers, not the reps here. They are basically a go between the customer and the Regional Managers to bring issues to their attention. According to your initial post on this issue, a Ford rep did get in touch with you and requested info from you so it can be sent/escalated to the Regional Manager. That, as I mentioned, is their job here. If you sent the requested info, then it was either that Manager or dealer who did nothing or was not able to help due to one reason or another.

Peter
I contacted them directly with the information, they didn't reach out to me. They didn't pass it on to anyone. I received the same crap I got from the dealer. It's a TSB - tough, no recall.

That is why I am strongly suggesting that people put in a formal complaint to TC or NHTSA. Hold their feet to fire folks.

TSB 12-5-11 has the technician apply dielectric grease to a whole bunch of connectors, and pays 1.4 hours without requiring removal of the Restraint Control Module.

I have no idea how that became a $400 repair. I'm not disputing you, I'm just trying to understand what happened. It's just not adding up yet.

http://m.ford.oemdtc.com/TSB/12-05-11.pdf

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I contacted them directly with the information, they didn't reach out to me. They didn't pass it on to anyone. I received the same crap I got from the dealer. It's a TSB - tough, no recall.

That is why I am strongly suggesting that people put in a formal complaint to TC or NHTSA. Hold their feet to fire folks.
I'm not too sure about who the "them" and "they" are but the Ford Rep here did contact you; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...-seat-belt-warning.349429/page-4#post-3325752 As for not passing information along, I don't think anyone can confirm that but it would be very, very unusual. There have been reports though that members did not receive a call or message from the Regional Manager. You said you got "the same crap I got from the dealer" so someone did get in touch with you then. If that was the Regional Manager then the info did get passed along. As for contacting TC or the NHTSA I fully agree with that action.
The cost of a TSB is covered only while the vehicle is under the factory warranty or an ESP. There really was nothing else the dealer could do but I agree with thefranchise713 that $400 seems high unless there were other things involved such as diagnostics.

Peter

Back