replace front wheel bearings on a 97 ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

replace front wheel bearings on a 97 ?

youl luz

Reaction score
City, State
bay area cali
Year, Model & Trim Level
xlt 5.0 AWD
i need to know how to do this.. i have a small vibration/grind in the front end and im betting thats it ... need help quick because i have to sell it soon !! thanks

The front hub assemblies are all one piece and are pretty easy to replace, but are about $175.00 to $225.00 depending on what dealer you buy them from.
You have to take the rotor and caliper off to unbolt three bolts on the rear of the steering knuckle. This will allow you to take the hub assembly off and replace it. I bought mine from the local Ford dealer and it came with a new ABS sensor installed on the assembly. They suggest that you replace both at the same time. Hope this helps.:hammer:

I had my right front hub bearing go one me while starting a road trip... dam near lost the whole wheel. I was lucky enought to find a junkyard near where I had broke down and bought a used one for about $125. So iif your looking to replace for a quick sale check some "Auto Recycling" centers or pick one up new from a dealer.

Back