Lemon Law? List of my problems so far. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lemon Law? List of my problems so far.

Motoarzan

Reaction score
City, State
Cambridge, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer Sport 2014
Curious what constitutes lemon law in Canada and if my vehicle would qualify.
Here is a list of my problems. Vehicle is a 2014 Explore Sport with 3.5 Ecoboost. Has 91000K KM ((56K Miles) & 3.5yrs old. I'll include approx mileage and the repair costs...the ones that I'm now keeping track of and asking the dealer. "Show me the cost had I been out of warranty". In the early days I wasn't making note since I figured it was only be the usual one or two problems and under warranty anyway. As the problems escalated I started keeping track of repair costs.
- Within 1st mth - condensation in taillight, replaced.
- 20k km. Replacement of GPS module (the famous GPS not tracking when you change your winter tires)
- 35k km. New brakes all around, front & rear, new pads and rotors.
- 40k km, Turbos cutting out, required new vacuum hose to throttle body
- 45k km, new door hinges on driver door. failing and make severe creaking sound.
- 55k km, the famous HVAC air blend door motor/gearbox. Required removal of the entire dash from the vehicle. If I was out of warranty $2000 job...cheap part but lots of labor.
- 56k km. Discovered the bottom edges of all all 4 doors paint worn down to the bear metal from rubbing inside the door frames. Required some body work to sand blast and repaint all the inside door ledge. $1000
- 58k, km. Leak in the coolant hose which goes along under body to the rear corner HVAC. Required lowering the whole drive assembly and rear differential and also getting into the rear corner panel HVAC. Lots of labor. $2000 if out of warranty.
-59k km. Needed new front leather seat skin replace on driver seat. Tearing due to rubbing again plastic side panel (the cover with the power seat buttons. Fit/finish issue too tight I guess and prematurely wore in the spot. $600
-80k km. Water pump. $2000 if out of warranty because lots and lots of labor on this one.
-85k km. Discovered severe corrosion in the fold over rear door seems. the seam on the inside that follows the contour of rear wheel well. Required body work to sandblast and repaint. $1000.
- 91k km. Front wheel bearing $400
- 91k km. Now I need a steering rack, $2100 CDN. This one is "out" of warranty!!! The steering rack recall is only on 2011-2013, not 2014. Still figuring out what I'm going to do. The part alone is $1500CDN + 13% taxes. Hoping I can find one at a wreckers.
- Also been dealing with a "intermittent" power front seat recline. I think there is a dead spot in the motor winding because I need to give the seat back a good yank while holding the power seat button to get it engage and move. Haven't fixed this because its out of warranty. Who knows how many hundreds of dollar to fix this.
- Also dealing with a second door hing creak on the rear door. Not fixed, because out of warranty.

- Luckily I haven't had the famous exhaust fumes issue's. But I'm crossing my fingers I don't get the famous PTU case failure (I know that's another expensive one). And who knows about the Turbos. Have a coworker who had the turbos in his Taurus (Same engine) go at 120,000km. $4000, $1k for the turbo and 1k for labour...Each!
Might have to get rid of this vehicle before the 100k power train warranty is up. Sad thing is when I bought this 3.5yrs ago I did a 4yr finance to own it out right and the plan was to pass it to my wife but I'm really concerned about the long term reliability.

Anyone else have these crazy problems or can enlighten me on other "common" issues with this vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

According to my owners manual, door hinges should be checked and lubricated every six months. It's likely that hinge lubrication would have prevented the "severe creaking sound" from ever happening. If your Explorer was maintained by a Ford dealer, your second hinge creak may be their responsibility because they didn't follow Ford's hinge-maintenance recommendation.

According to my owners manual, door hinges should be checked and lubricated every six months. It's likely that hinge lubrication would have prevented the "severe creaking sound" from ever happening. If your Explorer was maintained by a Ford dealer, your second hinge creak may be their responsibility because they didn't follow Ford's hinge-maintenance recommendation.
Always done the regular service intervals at Ford dealer. The creaking wasn't something minor coming from an unlubricated hinge. This was coming from "inside" the door. There is some sort of mechanism inside the door which offers resistance on the center arm between the hinges. It holds the door in multiple open positions. This is what failed and required them to go into the door to replace the part.
In all fairness though...center arm or hinges. Most people rarely if ever actually lubricate those parts. At most after years you might start to get a squeak, lube it and gone for another 4 years....not complete failure!

Isn't it called the "Snowball law" in Canada?
The snowball effect.

Here is a list of my problems. Vehicle is a 2014 Explore Sport with 3.5 Ecoboost. Has 91000K KM ((56K Miles) & 3.5yrs old. I'll include approx mileage and the repair costs...the ones that I'm now keeping track of and asking the dealer. "Show me the cost had I been out of warranty". In the early days I wasn't making note since I figured it was only be the usual one or two problems and under warranty anyway. As the problems escalated I started keeping track of repair costs.
- 20k km. Replacement of GPS module (the famous GPS not tracking when you change your winter tires)
- 45k km, new door hinges on driver door. failing and make severe creaking sound.
- 55k km, the famous HVAC air blend door motor/gearbox. Required removal of the entire dash from the vehicle. If I was out of warranty $2000 job...cheap part but lots of labor.
- 56k km. Discovered the bottom edges of all all 4 doors paint worn down to the bear metal from rubbing inside the door frames. Required some body work to sand blast and repaint all the inside door ledge. $1000
- 58k, km. Leak in the coolant hose which goes along under body to the rear corner HVAC. Required lowering the whole drive assembly and rear differential and also getting into the rear corner panel HVAC. Lots of labor. $2000 if out of warranty.
-59k km. Needed new front leather seat skin replace on driver seat. Tearing due to rubbing again plastic side panel (the cover with the power seat buttons. Fit/finish issue too tight I guess and prematurely wore in the spot. $600
-80k km. Water pump. $2000 if out of warranty because lots and lots of labor on this one.
-85k km. Discovered severe corrosion in the fold over rear door seems. the seam on the inside that follows the contour of rear wheel well. Required body work to sandblast and repaint. $1000.
- 91k km. Now I need a steering rack, $2100 CDN. This one is "out" of warranty!!! The steering rack recall is only on 2011-2013, not 2014. Still figuring out what I'm going to do. The part alone is $1500CDN + 13% taxes. Hoping I can find one at a wreckers.
- Also been dealing with a "intermittent" power front seat recline. I think there is a dead spot in the motor winding because I need to give the seat back a good yank while holding the power seat button to get it engage and move. Haven't fixed this because its out of warranty. Who knows how many hundreds of dollar to fix this.
- Also dealing with a second door hing creak on the rear door. Not fixed, because out of warranty.

- Luckily I haven't had the famous exhaust fumes issue's. But I'm crossing my fingers I don't get the famous PTU case failure (I know that's another expensive one). And who knows about the Turbos. Have a coworker who had the turbos in his Taurus (Same engine) go at 120,000km. $4000, $1k for the turbo and 1k for labour...Each!
Might have to get rid of this vehicle before the 100k power train warranty is up. Sad thing is when I bought this 3.5yrs ago I did a 4yr finance to own it out right and the plan was to pass it to my wife but I'm really concerned about the long term reliability.

Anyone else have these crazy problems or can enlighten me on other "common" issues with this vehicle.

That's an awful lot of repairs for a car with only 56,000 miles on it. Several repairs had substantially high costs due to "lots of labor", one of which was your water pump that failed at about 49,700 miles. I keep reading that the water pump failure is not that common, but it keeps creeping up on this forum and as this generation of Explorer gets older we will probably hear more and more about it. It should also be noted that the owners in this forum make up an extremely small subset of the entire Explorer owner population base in North America.

I hope that either your luck changes or you find some sort of recourse in Canada for car with this many repairs at only 56,000 miles. No car owner of any brand deserves to have this many problems with only 56,000 miles on a vehicle.

- 55k km, the famous HVAC air blend door motor/gearbox. Required removal of the entire dash from the vehicle. If I was out of warranty $2000 job...cheap part but lots of labor. Many have done this job themselves and no one has had to pull the dashboard. If I recall the part is $40 or so and a little time with you on your back under the dash. Far from a $2,000 job.
- Also been dealing with a "intermittent" power front seat recline. I think there is a dead spot in the motor winding because I need to give the seat back a good yank while holding the power seat button to get it engage and move. Haven't fixed this because its out of warranty. Who knows how many hundreds of dollar to fix this. Buy the rack from here, $727 plus shipping and then the US/Canada currency conversion. http://parts.autonationfordwhitebea...e/steering-cat/steering-gear-and-linkage-scat

Anyone else have these crazy problems or can enlighten me on other "common" issues with this vehicle. Even if you had lemon law protection in the US, just about every state is SAME repair 3 or 4 times and mileage allowed is anywhere from 12,000-24,000 miles. You are far over the mileage so there would be no lemon law protection in the US. So either way, you are out of luck IMO.

Replies in red.

Hello fellow Canadian. Consider contacting Ford Canada to discuss the issues you've been experiencing with your Explorer. You may be able to get some of your money back or possibly get an extension to the warranty, condisering the issues you've experienced.

Alternatively, contact the APA (Automobile Protection Agency), they offer arbitration services for their members, and may be able to help.

I noticed the bottom corners of all the doors on mine have the paint scuffed off. Wondered about that. After reading your post, I see you've had that issue.

Back