Sync Services Being Phased Out

SKB

Reaction score
City, State
Medway, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
6/14/17: Today's email from Ford:

Ford has made the important decision to start phasing out SYNC® Services. Starting July 1st, 2017, the ability to purchase or renew a paid SYNC Services subscription will no longer be available. However, those with an active or complimentary subscription will still be able to use all the features of SYNC Services until their subscription expires or August 1st, 2018, whichever comes first. Regardless of subscription status, SYNC Services will no longer be available starting August 1st, 2018.

We'd like to thank you for being a part of the SYNC Services experience that we've brought to Ford customers over the years. Although SYNC Services is being phased out, owners can still take advantage of the many features available through SYNC, such as AppLink® for SYNC and SYNC 3, and other services offered by SiriusXM® Traffic and Travel Link®. If you aren't already aware of these features, click here to see what options are available for your specific vehicle.

For additional updates and to manage your subscription, please visit the SYNC Services page on the Owner website.

We appreciate you being a member of the Ford family and look forward to continuing to improve your experience!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know of anyone who pays for SYNC services. My guess would be the subscription numbers are very low.

Sync "Services" were awful.

Used to like sending directions from Google Maps until Google quit supporting Sync.

Ok so, no more 'sync service'. Never used it myself. But, what about the rest of it? Those with sync anything now have what appears to be an obsolete system. Including sync 3 users when the subscriptions run out. No more map updates? MyFordSync now useless? What are they replacing it with? Any clues?

I don't know if some of the items will be available with Sync Connect and/or FordPass which will be available in the 2018 Explorer.:dunno: As for map updates, they are supplied by another company. As for MyFordSync are you referring to MyFord Touch (MFT)? That should still be supported as mentioned by the IVT rep when they were still here.

Peter

Ok so, no more 'sync service'. Never used it myself. But, what about the rest of it? Those with sync anything now have what appears to be an obsolete system. Including sync 3 users when the subscriptions run out. No more map updates? MyFordSync now useless? What are they replacing it with? Any clues?
SYNC 3 doesn't have SYNC services.

My guess, SmartLink will be another disaster like MFT. Over promise, under deliver, then stop supporting it.

For such an innovative company Ford really struggles with technology integration in their vehicles. Sure SYNC3 is better than MFT but not by much. They release v2.2 then pull it, then make it a dealer only install with little or no communication with their customers.

2016 SYNC3 owners get told update with CarPlay by end of calendar 2016, still not officially delivered.

I'm shocked they still offer such a rudimentary DVD system, no integration with SYNC3 or vehicles sound system like most other OEMs.

Im, not a GM fan but On* and their in-vehicle DVD systems are still superiorer.

Huh? Sync 3 CarPlay support for MY16 was announced in OASIS quite a while ago (official), and was leaked with working firmware a couple of months before that.

As for an earlier post's comments... Sync Services was nothing more than a concierge service of sorts that provided rudimentary navigation systems for vehicles that had no nav system, included Vehicle Health Reports--which were all but pointless in execution, and an operator for when the IVR for Sync Services didn't work right.

If you have MFT Nav? It'll still work.
Sirius Travel Link? Unaffected.
MFT working? Just as you know it today for 99% of people. I bet the usage rate on Sync Services was less than 5% of owners. Most don't even know what they're losing because they never used it to begin with.

I used Sync Services with my 2011 Escape back in the day. It was pretty cool for the rudimentary navigation services in a non-nav car, but beyond that? Pointless. Every time you made a wrong turn it had to redial--dial up modem style--into the Ford Mothership to get refreshed directions. Recalculating took at least a minute on a good day.

It was modestly useful for someone who didn't have a phone/smartphone that could do navigation inherently and didn't buy a Nav equipped car. But that was about the extent of the use case.

2016 SYNC3 Carplay upgrade from v1.0 to v 2.2 was released for owners to upgrade over SYNC3 WiFi connection?

I wasnt aware, I have a 16 Focus SE with SYNC3 v1.0 nowhere has Ford ever notified me there was an update, including Ford Owners Website with "Check for SYNC Updates"

Probably because CarPlay support required "dealer installation," i.e., the USB hub swapped out.

It was in OASIS as a non-warrantable service dealers could provide at their own fees.

Our 2016 Focus Titanium has been running 2.x for months successfully and with full CarPlay support.

I purchased a 2012 Ford Explorer with a navigation system and now I have no navigation system since they discontinued sync. Did anyone else use their navigation system? Shouldn't Ford compensate those of us that expected to be able to use it for the life of their car? I am very upset by this. Does anyone have any ideas about what to do. If I want to sell my car the value has just decreased due to this. I've tried calling Ford and the dealership, they said to use my phone. That is not acceptable. What happened to customer service?!!

I purchased a 2012 Ford Explorer with a navigation system and now I have no navigation system since they discontinued sync. Did anyone else use their navigation system? Shouldn't Ford compensate those of us that expected to be able to use it for the life of their car? I am very upset by this. Does anyone have any ideas about what to do. If I want to sell my car the value has just decreased due to this. I've tried calling Ford and the dealership, they said to use my phone. That is not acceptable. What happened to customer service?!!

You used SYNC Services for turn by turn directions (ie your cell phone acted like a modem for getting the info to SYNC)?

Welcome to the Forum Ruth.:wave:
I may be wrong on this but I don't think that the factory navigation should be affected by the phasing out of Sync Services. I believe Sync Services was available on a subscription basis. The OEM navigation is not the same. I'm sure I'll be corrected if that is incorrect. I'd think if everyone lost their navigation that there would be many more posts about it. Are there any warning messages on the screen in the upper right? What does it show on the upper right portion of the home screen? Did navigation ever work? Not knowing which 'Trim' you have, I'm wondering if in fact that you actually have navigation. Do you have the MyFord Touch system?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Ruth.:wave:
I may be wrong on this but I don't think that the factory navigation should be affected by the phasing out of Sync Services. I believe Sync Services was available on a subscription basis. The OEM navigation is not the same. I'm sure I'll be corrected if that is incorrect. I'd think if everyone lost their navigation that there would be many more posts about it. Are there any warning messages on the screen in the upper right? What does it show on the upper right portion of the home screen? Did navigation ever work? Not knowing which 'Trim' you have, I'm wondering if in fact that you actually have navigation. Do you have the MyFord Touch system?

Peter
I was also surprised there aren't more posts. I have seen some that said they didn't like SYNC anyway and that it never worked properly for navigation and they were using their phone. I had navigation and used it all the time. Don't know what you mean by "Trim." I have called Ford and the dealership and they verified that I no longer have navigation and didn't care that it decreased the value of my car and recommended either buying a Garmin or using my phone for navigation which is unacceptable. I paid $43,000 for my Explorer. They also offered to trade it in for a new Explorer and offered me $8,000.00 for a trade in!!! I found the following online: On August 1, 2018, the SYNC® Services subscription service, along with the SYNC Destinations mobile app, was discontinued for 2008 through 2016 Model Year vehicles equipped with SYNC®, SYNC with MyFord, SYNC with MyFord Touch, or SYNC with Voice-Activated Navigation. SYNC Services relied on technology that is no longer being supported. While this technology was useful when the feature launched, it is no longer the best way to support owner needs. We will continue to focus efforts on new technologies. This change impacted Owners of a 2008 through 2016 Model Year vehicle with SYNC, SYNC with MyFord, or SYNC with MyFord Touch.
Thanks,
Ruth

I was also surprised there aren't more posts. I have seen some that said they didn't like SYNC anyway and that it never worked properly for navigation and they were using their phone. I had navigation and used it all the time. Don't know what you mean by "Trim." I have called Ford and the dealership and they verified that I no longer have navigation and didn't care that it decreased the value of my car and recommended either buying a Garmin or using my phone for navigation which is unacceptable. I paid $43,000 for my Explorer. They also offered to trade it in for a new Explorer and offered me $8,000.00 for a trade in!!! I found the following online: On August 1, 2018, the SYNC® Services subscription service, along with the SYNC Destinations mobile app, was discontinued for 2008 through 2016 Model Year vehicles equipped with SYNC®, SYNC with MyFord, SYNC with MyFord Touch, or SYNC with Voice-Activated Navigation. SYNC Services relied on technology that is no longer being supported. While this technology was useful when the feature launched, it is no longer the best way to support owner needs. We will continue to focus efforts on new technologies. This change impacted Owners of a 2008 through 2016 Model Year vehicle with SYNC, SYNC with MyFord, or SYNC with MyFord Touch.
Thanks,
Ruth

Does the upper right of your screen say INFORMATION or NAVIGATION?

..... Don't know what you mean by "Trim." .Ruth
See the PM I sent to you about that. Trimm refers to Base, XLT, Limited etc. As jmr061, Jason, mentioned, what is shown in the upper right of the screen, If it is 'Information' then your Explorer doesn't have Navigation. As I mentioned before, the discontinuation of Sync Services should not impact the Navigation that came with the vehicle.

Peter

I am going to guess that @Ruth Doran was misunderstanding what SYNC Services is versus what SD Card Navigation is. SD Card Navigation is not affected by the loss of SYNC Services.

I am left to guess as @Ruth Doran has not confirmed if the MFT system in the vehicle has Information or Navigation in the upper right.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

6/14/17: Today's email from Ford:

Ford has made the important decision to start phasing out SYNC® Services. Starting July 1st, 2017, the ability to purchase or renew a paid SYNC Services subscription will no longer be available. However, those with an active or complimentary subscription will still be able to use all the features of SYNC Services until their subscription expires or August 1st, 2018, whichever comes first. Regardless of subscription status, SYNC Services will no longer be available starting August 1st, 2018.

We'd like to thank you for being a part of the SYNC Services experience that we've brought to Ford customers over the years. Although SYNC Services is being phased out, owners can still take advantage of the many features available through SYNC, such as AppLink® for SYNC and SYNC 3, and other services offered by SiriusXM® Traffic and Travel Link®. If you aren't already aware of these features, click here to see what options are available for your specific vehicle.

For additional updates and to manage your subscription, please visit the SYNC Services page on the Owner website.

We appreciate you being a member of the Ford family and look forward to continuing to improve your experience!
I’m just digging into this with my new 2010 eddy bauer. Do I need this for anything?? Does it have anything to do with my phone or music?

Back