A little bit of help understanding MFT/Sync/Navigation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A little bit of help understanding MFT/Sync/Navigation

Rubberhead

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Mill, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2023 Timberline w/TechPak
So, I'm going to get rid of my beloved '03 V8 XLT that still functions nearly perfectly. I'm only considering this because it's got 250k and my wife's Explorer is approaching 100k. I don't want to end up having to replace two at the same time.

Anyway, I've zoned in on a '14 (or maybe '15) XLT with the naturally aspirated V6 and the 202A package. I'm confused by what comes with the 202A:
Driver Connect Package includes SYNC with MyFord Touch® voice-activated, in-vehicle connectivity system, which includes SYNC Services for Traffic, Directions and Information;

and how it differs from the $795 option:
Voice-activated Navigation System with integrated SiriusXM Traffic and Travel Link with 6-month trial subscription (requires 202A)

What's the difference? It looks like the $795 option requires an on-going service from SirrusXM. How about the SYNC?

So confused and a little disappointed that the Ford brochure doesn't do a better job of explaining.

Thanks for any help.

While I could be wrong, I think the second option gives you navigation as an $800 option and the first option does not.

The SYNC services in the first option is a subscription service that is not full screen directions (my Android phone offers all those services and more), though it will give you audio turn by turn directions as I understand it.

I have 202A with no nav and I don't subscribe to the SYNC services that include directions. I just have my Android phone on a panavise mount next to the MFT and stream turn-by-turn over the speakers via Bluetooth off Google nav and can glance at the map on phone next to the MFT.

The MFT/SYNC nav has had some problems - as most onboard nav system with any car manufacturer. If it works, great, by I find Google maps/nav flawless.

Like tmg said.. The first option is the touch screen system w/ bluetooth, USB ports, climate controls, etc... the second option adds navigation to that.

The first option will give you sync services (where you can call for directions and they send them to the vehicle. The directions will show on the right gauge lcd, but not the main touch screen). Navigation gives you full mapping on the 8" display with the ability to add siriusxm navtraffic for efficient routing, etc.

I have navi only because my sport came with it, but I use a mounted iPad on the dash for most navi functionality. Depending on your area your mileage may vary when it comes to the accuracy and efficiency of the navi system.

Back