high pitch sound after shut down | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

high pitch sound after shut down

Another month and another X problem

Just as I thought all was well with my 2011 X, the high pitch noise is back. Came on today took it straight to the dealer and sure enough didn't do it there. I wish they had traveling techs, because in the driveway you could hear it perfectly! They told me to keep my ear to it and have a good day! Good day will be when someone can help diagnose this. I am checking into a previous post about the PCM fuse and relay, keep alive power. The Dealer replaced the entire cooling fan assembly, so it has to be some shutdown relay. Any other tips would be nice.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just as I thought all was well with my 2011 X, the high pitch noise is back. Came on today took it straight to the dealer and sure enough didn't do it there. I wish they had traveling techs, because in the driveway you could hear it perfectly! They told me to keep my ear to it and have a good day! Good day will be when someone can help diagnose this. I am checking into a previous post about the PCM fuse and relay, keep alive power. The Dealer replaced the entire cooling fan assembly, so it has to be some shutdown relay. Any other tips would be nice.

Thanks

Hi fx8racer,

Have you been taking your techs on test drives so you can try and replicate this for them? If you'd like, I'd be happy to go ahead and escalate this to your regional customer service manager; just PM me your details and I'll make it happen. In your message, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Crystal thanks again, but the techs cannot duplicate the problem. They plug in a computer and tell me no codes, no problem. The issue is when I turn off the truck, it randomly makes the noise by the cooling fan, other times it shuts off. It is like feeling better when you get to the doctor. The next time I notice the noise in my garage, I am going to start yanking out fuses and relays to isolate this issue. It has been annoying to own such a nice truck that has had some sort of issue each month of ownership. I am questioning my Ford loyalty!

The high pitch sound you guys were wondering would be the pressure relief valve of either AC or fuel. This happen when engine is turned off the pressure relief valve will defenitely does this function inorder to prevent the system from wearing out fast.

The noise comes right from the cooling fan motors. Turn your key to the on position but don't start the truck. Go to the front grille and put your ear to it. Turn the ignition off and noise should turn off. In my case the high frequency noise stays on intermittently after I turn off the truck, and drains the battery.

The noise comes right from the cooling fan motors. Turn your key to the on position but don't start the truck. Go to the front grille and put your ear to it. Turn the ignition off and noise should turn off. In my case the high frequency noise stays on intermittently after I turn off the truck, and drains the battery.

I'm still having the issue but haven't had time to diagnose it more. I know if I take it to the dealership they'll want to keep it or charge me to pull fuses to find it. I just make a habit of going back into my garage an hour or so after come home to make sure there is no high pitch. I only had it drain the battery down once and I caught it before it drained completely. I'm sure this winter it will do it on a cold night and force my hand.

Repaired...ended up being the shifter linkage and shifter. Would not go fully into park and disengage the relay.

Repaired...ended up being the shifter linkage and shifter. Would not go fully into park and disengage the relay.
Did you every get the Shift to Park warning?

Peter

No...everything looked normal....wife's car...she figured it out after multiple trips to dealer before they did.....

Headlight ballasts also make a high pitch sound, normal. Your lights stay on when you drive into the garage, the engine isn't running so you notice it when you get out. Very common with almost all new cars.

Headlight ballasts also make a high pitch sound, normal. Your lights stay on when you drive into the garage, the engine isn't running so you notice it when you get out. Very common with almost all new cars.
That may be so but I park in the garage and have had the headlight delay on my last 3 vehicles and haven't heard that noise.

Peter

I noticed the headlight noise on my last two SUV's but lots of things on a vehicle can cause noises. With the new style headlights though the ballasts do commonly make a high pitch noise. Here a Youtube video of the kind of noise the new headlights make, it is very high pitched..

Haven't heard anything like that.

My HIDs make this exact same sound when they are on also. You can't notice it with the engine running but the moment the engine shuts off it is very easy to hear, especially if you are in the garage.

When I bought my used 2011 XLT w/ ~140k miles, before I left the dealership, it did it. It was in their garage (winter). I inquired, they said they replaced the battery. I think I got a free battery because I do not think that is the problem, but instead, according to all my research, anyway, the evap system pump (purge valve?), conitnuing to run after shut down to clear fuel vapors out of exhaust and back to the fuel system. I mean, I would prefer a steak if there's gonna be whine, but, can't have everything. 🤣

^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I park in the garage but can't day I've ever heard that sound.

Peter

Back