• Register Today It's free!

Will a Queen Size Mattress fit?

Eject

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
I plan to pick up a queen size mattress, so here goes...

Will a queen size mattress fit in the hatch?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A queen size mattress is 60 by 80 inches. I doubt it will fit inside but there is plenty of room on the roof. Just tie it down really good. The dealer normally has plastic bags for them.

eject, Don't do it (on the roof) go to u haul and rent a ford E van. You stand a good chance of loosing your mattress and could cause an accident. Back in the seventies I leased my truck to Bekins Van Lines. I drove coast to coast and border to border. I saw at least 50 mattress on the road. You really don't want to open that can of worms.

It’s not gonna fit unless you fold it in half. (Joke) The opening is only like 46 inches wide. The roof is a no-go for me, as I’ve also seen far too many fly off, plus mattresses are heavy and it might even exceed the roof rack weight (check before tying it up). Either pay the delivery fee or rent a Uhaul.

roof rack with cross bars = 100lb max
i wouldn't put it on the roof it is unsafe
wont fit inside-if it does folded-mattress warranty question, and you wont be able to get it out without fierce dragging
through/across the interior panels, b/c you wont be able to compress it any more to remove it.

...the mattress will be stuck in there forever, and you will have to trade it in...;)

LMAO!

Pay the delivery charge

roof rack with cross bars = 100lb max
i wouldn't put it on the roof it is unsafe
wont fit inside-if it does folded-mattress warranty question, and you wont be able to get it out without fierce dragging
through/across the interior panels, b/c you wont be able to compress it any more to remove it.

...the mattress will be stuck in there forever, and you will have to trade it in...;)
45 lbs with moonroof.

I was just doing my research before I attempted to pick up something that has no chance of fitting. I appreciate your help and suggestions.

I'm guessing your not buying from a mattress store as all the ones I've dealt with deliver and remove the old for free. I don't see a way to do it safely with the Explorer. Given the roof rails, you'd have a hard time using the fasteners since the mattress would cover them meaning you would likely have to run rope through the windows.

Peter

I'm guessing your not buying from a mattress store as all the ones I've dealt with deliver and remove the old for free. I don't see a way to do it safely with the Explorer. Given the roof rails, you'd have a hard time using the fasteners since the mattress would cover them meaning you would likely have to run rope through the windows.

Peter

I plan to purchase from my local Costco.

I plan to purchase from my local Costco.
I haven't ordered anything from them but the emails I get seen to show item prices as 'delivered'.
Perhaps those prices include delivery?

Peter

Good point K9, he could check at Costco.com to see they will deliver with online purchase.

Apart from that, Home Depot rents a big truck for 19.99 for 90 minutes.

You can rent a pickup at U-Haul for $20 for the whole day. Why even attempt it with your Explorer?

You wouldn't believe what I have seen driving down the road with people trying to haul mattresses on roof racks. I have seen the mattress doubled over from the wind putting a lot more pressure on the roof rack than just the mattress weight.

If you can tie it down with ratchet straps wrapped though the windows... and dont have to drive at highway speeds you probably would be ok. Probably be worth the small amount of $ to rent a van.

If you can tie it down with ratchet straps wrapped though the windows... and dont have to drive at highway speeds you probably would be ok. Probably be worth the small amount of $ to rent a van.

You can rent a van/U-Haul for less than $100...not a lot of money for peace of mind.

You could fit a king size inside.......... as long as it's memory foam. You'll laugh if you see the size of the box they come in.

You could fit a king size inside.......... as long as it's memory foam. You'll laugh if you see the size of the box they come in.
That's what I was thinking. Haven't had a problem picking up any mattresses from Ikea the way they package them. Prices were better than Costco and elsewhere also.

Back