Prospective buyer Help! Twin mattress fit in explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Prospective buyer Help! Twin mattress fit in explorer?

cgrp89

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Mustang
Hi, I'm a big ford guy and have been trying to convince my dad to pick up a new explorer. He loves the explorer sport power and looks but he currently has an older GMC yukon and he loves his cargo capacity. I have siblings in college and as such being able to transport a twin mattress is a major selling point for him.

Question, does anyone know if a twin would fit in an explorer? And if you don't know could someone give me the dimensions of the rear hatch and the distance from the hatch to behind the front seats (I know all the seats can fold down).

Anyway, my dad has said it would be a major selling point for him if it could, just hoping to get one more GM convert :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Depending how far back the FRONT seats are positioned you have anywhere from 78" to 82" of clearance front to back. I measured to the INSIDE edge of the plastic trim for the tailgate. So likely you can squeeze another inch or more after the tailgate is closed.

So accordingly, a twin bed is 74" long. It would fit without issue into the back of an Explorer with all seats folded down.

He will be sorely disappointed if he goes from the Yukon to the Explorer because of his huge drop in cargo capacity. I'd either get an Expedition, or go back to GM and get another Yukon.

Welcome to the Forum cgrp89.:wavey:
I'm not sure if you've actually seen the Explorer or not. Although I no longer have it, here is a picture I took of mine a while ago.

Peter

Attachments

• PA130138_1.JPG
    PA130138_1.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 1,789

He will be sorely disappointed if he goes from the Yukon to the Explorer because of his huge drop in cargo capacity. I'd either get an Expedition, or go back to GM and get another Yukon.

Inside of the car - Yukon is huge, the Ex is way smaller.
The Ex is smaller than most in class CUVs.
It may fit a twin mattress though, but you will need to squeeze it in between the storage pockets/rear pillars,and tilt the box spring up on one of the pillars.

For those who want to pay or are buying beds - look at split box springs - may not be available for twin but for queen and up they are a life saver for transport and any size home/apt. .........:aerostar:!

Better way to carry mattresses

You can tell your dad that an Explorer & a trailer will cost him a lot less than a Yukon alone and will carry almost anything he wants. The Explorer with the towing package will pull a 5,000 lbs load no problem. The Explorer is also a hell of a lot more fuel efficient than the Yukon, even when towing.;)

I was very disappointed in the cargo capacity of the 2014 Explorer vs my 2010. It's a bigger car, with much less room inside. Those big, ugly, plastic "thingys" sticking up in the cargo area really cut into the space. Golf clubs will not fit laying straight across. And the load floor is so high that it is tough to load heavy objects.

Then why did you buy it? Didn't you check it out before you bought it.

I was very disappointed in the cargo capacity of the 2014 Explorer vs my 2010. It's a bigger car, with much less room inside. Those big, ugly, plastic "thingys" sticking up in the cargo area really cut into the space. Golf clubs will not fit laying straight across. And the load floor is so high that it is tough to load heavy objects.

The 5th generation is 197" long x 78" wide x 70" inches tall, and has 80.7 cubic ft of storage. Your old 2010 4th gen is 193" x 73" x 72" and has 83.7 cubic feet of storage. You can thank modern safety regulations for the larger outside dimensions with less internal dimensions, but you're quibbling over peanuts. Your new vehicle is pretty much the same size (within a few inches) as your old vehicle, and has 96% of the internal volume (with the second row seats up the trunk volume is identical).

The 5th generation is 197" long x 78" wide x 70" inches tall, and has 80.7 cubic ft of storage. Your old 2010 4th gen is 193" x 73" x 72" and has 83.7 cubic feet of storage. You can thank modern safety regulations for the larger outside dimensions with less internal dimensions, but you're quibbling over peanuts. Your new vehicle is pretty much the same size (within a few inches) as your old vehicle, and has 96% of the internal volume (with the second row seats up the trunk volume is identical).

Except that it isn't. You can't get 4 sets of golf clubs in sideways. And it's not as high as the old version. I understand it's modern design, and everything today has to be aerodynamic, but I think Ford could have done a better job of laying out the interior. I still get my stuff in there, but that 3 cubic feet is quite a bit in the real world.

Except that it isn't. You can't get 4 sets of golf clubs in sideways. And it's not as high as the old version. I understand it's modern design, and everything today has to be aerodynamic, but I think Ford could have done a better job of laying out the interior. I still get my stuff in there, but that 3 cubic feet is quite a bit in the real world.

Except that 3 cubic feet is with all rear seats folded down. When you have just the 3rd row down, the 5th gen and the 4th gen have the exact same amount of room behind the second row. If you're taking 4 sets of clubs, I assume you're not trying to fit 4 adults into the front two seats.

Also, if you have all three rows up, the 5th gen actually has 21 cubic feet of cargo space compared to the 4th gen's 13 feet. Did you not actually look at the Explorer, and read stats and reviews online before you bought it? :smh:

Stats don't tell the whole truth. The configuration is totally different, and what I hauled in my 2004, 2006, 2008, and 2010 Explorers will NOT fit into the 2014. I had to get a whole new carrier and remove a good portion of the stuff I always carried for work. I don't know how to make it any clearer to you.

Plus I never had 3rd row seats in the other 4 Explorers, but now, Ford in it's infinite wisdom, does not provide an Explorer with only 2 rows. The 3rd row is useless and folding them down cuts into the cargo room and the ridiculous plastic things cut down the width.

You cannot get as much into a 2014 as you could a 2010, period! I've tried it and it doesn't fit.

Its true, stats don't tell the whole truth... which is why a thorough test drive is recommended before you drop $50k on a vehicle, even if you had a past model with the same name.

Also, it sounds like you had some additional room in your previous Explorers by opting for a 3rd row delete. Some users have removed their third row and installed a crossbrace to strengthen the rear end with the removal of the seats. See this thread for details on how to remove the folding 3rd row.

I had a Tahoe years ago - he will miss cargo capacity and seating comfort. The Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban have some of the most comfortable seats in the industry bar none. Almost like a lazyboy in your vehicle.

The Yukon has a tall and wide opening which is helpful getting large objects in. I replaced my Tahoe with an Enclave that had 'similar' cargo capacity but we couldnt get large/tall object in the Enclave. The Explorer is similar to the Enclave in that regard.

Stats don't tell the whole truth. The configuration is totally different, and what I hauled in my 2004, 2006, 2008, and 2010 Explorers will NOT fit into the 2014. I had to get a whole new carrier and remove a good portion of the stuff I always carried for work. I don't know how to make it any clearer to you.

Plus I never had 3rd row seats in the other 4 Explorers, but now, Ford in it's infinite wisdom, does not provide an Explorer with only 2 rows. The 3rd row is useless and folding them down cuts into the cargo room and the ridiculous plastic things cut down the width.

You cannot get as much into a 2014 as you could a 2010, period! I've tried it and it doesn't fit.

You still didn't answer the question.....why did you buy it if you were so concerned about lost capacity and your golf clubs don't fit sideways as you prefer? Hopefully that question is a clear and simple enough one for you answer.

Back