raiderv

Reaction score
City, State
Schertz
Year, Model & Trim Level
2022 Explorer, XLT
Callsign
raiderv
I have purchased a 2015 Explorer Limited 3.5L V6 that did not pass smog check. Batter was replaced just before i bought it so figured the vehicle had not made its way through the drive cycle. Engine light then came on while driving around during drive cycle. I have reset the light with an OBDII scan tool, unplugged the battery overnight and than ran it through its paces with the IM test on the tester. So far all have passed except for the CAT test, it's showing as not complete. I have driven it for about 80 miles now, mostly highway. Am I being impatient for the cycle to complete on the CAT or should it have already completed. I have swapped all the plugs, another new battery put in since the first "new" one had a dead cell (aforementioned test was done after this change). I also have an intermittent "Check Charging system" light, not sure if its associated. I am looking at worst case scenario, unable to find to much part info on the converters themselves or if there is a whole Y system i can purchase. Any help on this front will help as well. The codes have not come back since clearing, but are showing in the PDTC. I found a MIL readiness check and my MIL flashed 8 times with ignition in on position before returning to solid, according to that the vehicle is not ready. Is that because the CAT test is not done or because the CAT test failed and is not ready for smog check.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If your cats are bad, you will want to find out what caused them to go bad. I don't know if there are any universal cats that will fit the explorer (they generally need to be welded in, but are pretty inexpensive).

You may want to get forscan and an OBD connector or a higher end scan tool that can display/graph outputs so you can look at the O2 sensors in action to see if the cat is really bad or to help diagnose the real problem. It should help displaying voltages also so you can see why you have the charging system issue.

Some have reported success with nothing more than a bottle of techron (or similar) and a tank of high test.

There are a lot of reasons why cats can go bad, including oil or coolant entering exhaust, silicone contamination, intake air leaks, spark/timing issues, injector leaks, bad O2 sensors, and so on. Before you replace cats, make sure you have confirmed they are bad and eliminated other potential issues.

If your cats are bad, you will want to find out what caused them to go bad. I don't know if there are any universal cats that will fit the explorer (they generally need to be welded in, but are pretty inexpensive).

You may want to get forscan and an OBD connector or a higher end scan tool that can display/graph outputs so you can look at the O2 sensors in action to see if the cat is really bad or to help diagnose the real problem. It should help displaying voltages also so you can see why you have the charging system issue.

Some have reported success with nothing more than a bottle of techron (or similar) and a tank of high test.

There are a lot of reasons why cats can go bad, including oil or coolant entering exhaust, silicone contamination, intake air leaks, spark/timing issues, injector leaks, bad O2 sensors, and so on. Before you replace cats, make sure you have confirmed they are bad and eliminated other potential issues.

Kaygee,

I appreciate the feedback. I won't be able to take a look at my Cat until Friday when my scanner gets here, already have Forscan downloaded. I have scoured the interwebbings for ideas and one that i cam across was using Seafoam. The one i saw was adding some to the fuel tank, oil tank (during change), and spraying directly into throttle body. Also, would the non-fouler method work (short term), in order to pass my smog check, and find out the cause behind the CAT issue? I have added pics of what my OBDII reader shows me, since my CEL light just came on again, before pulling into garage...SMH! I know the FORSCAN check will be more in depth though.

IMG_3001.JPG

IMG_2999.JPG

IMG_2998.JPG

Update: I got my ELM adapter and fired up the FORSCAN. Problem is I have no idea what PIDS to pull and look at to check the upstream vs the downstream. I am not getting any other codes with regard to the CAT issues or anything else that tells me what caused the CATS to go bad.
Codes i did get were:
U0415 (ABS), P0620 (Gen Ctrl Circuit)
P0626 (Gen Field Terminal Circuit High)
P065B (Gen Ctrl Circuit Range/Performance
U0121 (Lost communication with ABS Ctrl module
U0415 (Invalid Data Recieved From ABS Ctrl Module.
I understand these may qualify as their own thread, but wanted to list just in case someone sees them as something that can attribute to the overall issue. I have added some of the pics of what i did pull with some pids, as well as all the pids listed for O2 sensors. I reset the CEL and drove about 100 miles and light came back on. I have a slight hesitation at idle, but no other obvious issues that i can attribute to the P0420/P0430.

IMG_3009.JPG

IMG_3007.JPG

IMG_3005.JPG

IMG_3004.JPG

Check and see if it's still in federal emissions warranty. If it is, have it fixed under warranty. You didn't indicate mileage, but the age is still within limits.

Depending on how sensitive your environmental conscience is, a simple capacitor wired across the O2 sensor wires will deal with 0420 & 0430. Note, this doesn't fix the root of your problem, it just stops the MIL coming on.

If you want to know more, just google for 0420 Resistor Capacitor and you'll be off to the races.

Depending on how sensitive your environmental conscience is, a simple capacitor wired across the O2 sensor wires will deal with 0420 & 0430. Note, this doesn't fix the root of your problem, it just stops the MIL coming on.

If you want to know more, just google for 0420 Resistor Capacitor and you'll be off to the races.
I'm guessing that will prevent the vehicle from passing any inspections.

Peter

I'm guessing that will prevent the vehicle from passing any inspections.

Peter

Nope.
It smooths the output of the O2 sensor into the PCM. The PCM is what triggers the MIL. The PCM is what is also used to read the O2 levels (after the cats) for an emissions test.

I am not condoning this, however it’s a well know workaround for those with “muscle cars” and those that can’t afford a new Cat at the point the MIL comes on

What is your charging system voltage at idle? If your voltage is weak it throws everything off and that little bit could put extra fuel in the cats.

Another one I've seen recently is someone did a water pump on one and somehow timed 1 bank a tooth off. Which was the cause of a p0420 code after the work was done. This was on a Ford Edge but same difference.

Code P0430 and P0420. Runs good, gets good gas mileage but the check engine light comes on and off (on mostly). Catalytic converters? Oxygen sensors? What would be first steps?

Code P0430 and P0420. Runs good, gets good gas mileage but the check engine light comes on and off (on mostly). Catalytic converters? Oxygen sensors? What would be first steps?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Your thread has been merged with this existing one found using the FOrum's 'Search' feature (upper right).
You may also want to check out these threads; Fix P0420 P0430 for only 10$ and Error Code P0420

Peter

I've got a 2013 Explorer Limited with the 3.5L non-turbo engine. I'm getting codes P0420 & P0430 and was told I need to replace both cats. The gas mileage and power both are fine. I'd rather not spend $2,000 to replace the cats if it's just an emissions issue (sorry environment). I've seen a bypass trick for older engines using come resistors. Does anyone know if this will work on the 3.5? Any other cheap fixes? Thanks for any advice.

p.s. I already changed all 4 O2 sensors.

Your thread was merged with this one on the same issue.
You may want to check out this; Fix P0420 P0430 for only 10$

Peter

Any luck? I have the exact same issue. Already changed my O2 sensors and it didn't help. I was going to try some cataclean and then replace the intake gaskets. Also thought about the " 0420 Resistor Capacitor " fix someone mentioned.

i keep getting p0420 and p0430 code. can anyone guide to pin point exactly what and where to check.
did some quick scanning , attached screenshot from FORScan.

Untitled.jpg

The codes read as follows:

P0430: Catalyst System Efficiency → Below Threshold → Bank 2
P0420: Catalyst System Efficiency – Below Threshold

It seems your bank 2 catalyst is the problem. Before replacing it you could try a catalyst cleaner like cataclean. You could also run a couple of tanks of premium gas, it would be ideal to drive in the highway/freeway. A road trip would be ideal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i keep getting p0420 and p0430 code. can anyone guide to pin point exactly what and where to check.
did some quick scanning , attached screenshot from FORScan.
Your thread was merged with this one found using the Forum's 'Search' feature.
Here is another thread that may or may not be of interest. Fix P0420 P0430 for only 10$

Peter

Back