Need advice: considering used Explorer, which is best | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need advice: considering used Explorer, which is best

Same info from Ford Explorer Problems 2006 sticks out as a bad year

upload_2018-8-21_14-10-23.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

However to be fair, most of the transmission problems listed where concerning hard jolts which were mostly addressed by reprogramming of the PCM TCM. So a 2006 that tests good should be as reliable as a 2007.

2006 to 2010 the noticeable difference is the upgrade to the 6R80 (vs 6R60), according to wikipedia the 6R80 transmission was included in model years 2009 and 2010. However, someone else would have to tell you what are the advantages of the 6R80 vs 6R60

Ford 6R transmission - Wikipedia

Hello all, I could your advice.

I'm in the market for another Explorer. I currently own a 96 V8 AWD that we love and has served us well. It has 240K and only just recently needed a rebuild of the 4R70W transmission, otherwise it's been a great truck. It's time to add another car to the fleet as my son is starting college and will take the 96, so I'm looking at another Explorer for my wife - she loves the 96 for a number of reasons so that's what I'm looking for. My questions are: which years/drivetrain combination are best? I'm looking at 2002-2010 (3rd/4th gen) and my searching on this forum and other sources tell me that the V6 is to be avoided, and the 5R55 transmission is also a disaster, so I've limited my search to the 4.6 V8 (which has it's own issues but seem more manageable) and the 2006 up with the 6R60 transmission. I'm focused on the drivetrain since these two components are the most expensive to replace, most everything else I can probably diagnose/fix myself.

So - is this a good place to start, or are my assumptions about this drivetrain combo off-base? What should I look out for?
Funny enough, I have 2007 4.0 and a 97 5.0. I just got the 97 up and running a few weeks ago after changing numerous parts, it at 166k. I've been using it as my daily driver because I'm balls deep in the transmission on my 07 for what I assume it a bad valve body and/ or solenoids. I'm just under 40k on my rebuilt trans and only 116k on the rig so needless to say, I am disappointed to be changing out these kinds of components already. However Im not sure if I should blame ford or the shop I took it to at this point. Hence why I'm a member here and have started learning and doing my own repairs.

As everyone else has said, go for the 08.5-10 years if you're going to get a Gen 4 V8. Otherwise maybe look for another Gen 2 V8 and restore it, it wouldn't cost much and as you already know it's a damn reliable vehicle. In fact you could probably buy and restore a Gen 2 V8 model for as much as you'd find a 08-10 V8 Gen 4.

The 6R80 has a stronger torque converter and clutch packs they also updated some internals to resolve some of shift issues on the 6R60. The transmission tuning is also different.

Well that makes a case for the 2009 and 2010...

Yeah I wish I had waited for a 09-10 V8. However it should be noted the Explorer never got the "final version" of the 6R80 that came out in 11 or so. In that version they made quite a few changes to fully resolve the 1-2 and 2-1 shift issues common on the 6R60 and early 6R80.

I'll just offer my 2 cents....

Don't be frightened of the 2006. I have one, a 2006 Eddie Bauer V8 4x4, I bought it with 112,000 miles, and it did need a little service, like a set of rear struts, and a rear wheel bearing. It also has warped the passenger exhaust manifold, but most of the V8 Explorers will do that 06-10. Mine happens to be an extreme case that will require engine removal to be properly repaired, but the tab won't be terrible, around $1000-$1200.

On to the good parts! This car has NEVER failed to start. I have 134,000 miles now, racked up in less than a year. I typically put about 30,000 miles a year on a car, and this thing has just ate up the highway. All the gimmicks still work perfectly, the sat nav, the sub woofer, both air conditioners, and everything else. Most of my driving is highway miles, so I get anywhere from 18-20 MPG average, depending on winds. (I live in southern Kansas...where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains).

I particularly like the '06 and '07 for the leather and suede interior that mine has, along with the 4 bucket seats.

I did have mine completely updated to the latest calibrations, and it made a big difference in how the car drove, so if you find a good deal on one, don't be scared of it as long as everything checks out on it.

I can tell from comparing my service records with my last cars, that this car should make it to 250K pretty easily. I hope it does, because I really like driving it, and it's supremely comfortable.

For what its worth, I believe starting in 2009 they dropped the V8 emblems. I've seen more than one V8 Explorer/Sport Trac listed as being a V6, so guess my point is, when looking, pop the hood. Don't rely on the badges, or absence of badges, or the seller to clue you in.

VIN position #8. H, for hell yes, is for the 4.6L V8. N, for nope, is 4.0 V6

I'll just offer my 2 cents....

Don't be frightened of the 2006. I have one, a 2006 Eddie Bauer V8 4x4, I bought it with 112,000 miles, and it did need a little service, like a set of rear struts, and a rear wheel bearing. It also has warped the passenger exhaust manifold, but most of the V8 Explorers will do that 06-10. Mine happens to be an extreme case that will require engine removal to be properly repaired, but the tab won't be terrible, around $1000-$1200.

On to the good parts! This car has NEVER failed to start. I have 134,000 miles now, racked up in less than a year. I typically put about 30,000 miles a year on a car, and this thing has just ate up the highway. All the gimmicks still work perfectly, the sat nav, the sub woofer, both air conditioners, and everything else. Most of my driving is highway miles, so I get anywhere from 18-20 MPG average, depending on winds. (I live in southern Kansas...where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains).

I particularly like the '06 and '07 for the leather and suede interior that mine has, along with the 4 bucket seats.

I did have mine completely updated to the latest calibrations, and it made a big difference in how the car drove, so if you find a good deal on one, don't be scared of it as long as everything checks out on it.

I can tell from comparing my service records with my last cars, that this car should make it to 250K pretty easily. I hope it does, because I really like driving it, and it's supremely comfortable.
Zorin, when did you have your updates done? I'm considering having mine done, it's not been updated since 2007.

Oh, I guess it was two or three weeks ago. They updated it, and programmed a bunch of new keys and remotes for me.

Back