• Register Today It's free!

I'm Beat no idea

Ronjm

Reaction score
City, State
Sydney NEW SOUTH WALES
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer XLT 1997 4L SOHC
Hi Guys once again i'm stumped I think I put this thread up a while back but anyway here goes. I have a 97 Explorer 4.0L V6 SOHC . Now I have no speedo,no cruise & no O/D & no lights on the dash either. I push the O/D button & nothing no O/D off light. I push the cruise buttons ( which I have renewed) no lights not even self test.I have replaced VSS checked all wiring. Where else to look HELP!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My brother had a similar issue (is was intermittent, though) ended up being the BCM. In your case I would hope not as its extremely expensive and hard to find. But it's worth checking.

Oh yeh as well as that my transmission is taking along time to change through the gears.

I'm not sure what that could be, but I don't believe the Body Control Module has anything to do with shifting. Have you pulled codes yet?

Would you believe no codes that's why I'm stummped.

Check all fuses?

Yep I disconnect the battery after I work on it because it's not my daily drive yet. It sits in my shed for the week while I'm at work and I don't want the battery to go flat.

Are you not getting any lights at all on the dash or just not getting the relevant lights? Have you checked the wiring going to your gauge cluster?

Yes I have getting all lights except O/D & Cruise

Transmission output speed sensor?

This is going to sound like a really wild idea, but did you check the bulbs?

Check fuses?

Yes checked all fuses all good even went as far as new cluster bulbs all good. Trans output speed sensor is that the VSS if not which one and where is it located.

Yes, the vss. 98 and up used the abs sensor on the rear diff. 97 and earlier used a ouput shaft gear in the transmission tailhousing.

Check to see if you have reverse lights. The overdrive switch and cruise control buttons are in the same circuit if I remember correctly.

Check to see if you have reverse lights. The overdrive switch and cruise control buttons are in the same circuit if I remember correctly.
This is correct. Fuse 27 if my memory serves me right. I battled blowing that fuse for months.

This is correct. Fuse 27 if my memory serves me right. I battled blowing that fuse for months.
Mine would always blow when using the overdrive switch. Wire was broke in the column.

That was my issue, except it popped while randomly shifting.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes have replaced the VSS is there any other sensors on the tranny. Will check reverse lights and fuses again and get back. Cheers

Back