4.5 suspension lifted 05 explorer | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.5 suspension lifted 05 explorer

Well im waiting to save for btf upper arms because i can't get any relief from ball joint stress unless the extended ball joints will work in these stock upper arms

Screenshot_20181016-195442.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you space up the upper ball joints you have to lower your lower control arm mounts to match. Reason being your geometry will be off and camber and toe will change during suspension travel.

Well im waiting to save for btf upper arms because i can't get any relief from ball joint stress unless the extended ball joints will work in these stock upper arms

View attachment 165026
At that cost I'd just go with the btf arms with uniball. Just for strength reasons.

It would be interesting if they made lowers as well. But still strength reasons with press fits.

I Measured them with the measurements it had on the page looks like it'll work
Just please keep in mind that using those will interfere even more with the travel arc of the suspension. You already have longer spindles, when adding those extended ball joints it will push this connection point farther outside of the arc radius of the front suspension, adding lateral stress. This will put an outwards pushing force at the weakest part of the control arm, the thin outside ridge of the ball joint hole.

Just please keep in mind that using those will interfere even more with the travel arc of the suspension. You already have longer spindles, when adding those extended ball joints it will push this connection point farther outside of the arc radius of the front suspension, adding lateral stress. This will put an outwards pushing force at the weakest part of the control arm, the thin outside ridge of the ball joint hole.
Well those spindles aren't that much taller and i haven't bought them yet. Because the btf arms may be an overall better choice. I just put that idea out there

Well those spindles aren't that much taller and i haven't bought them yet. Because the btf arms may be an overall better choice. I just put that idea out there

Sorry, your earlier post read to me that you already had the spindles installed. I don’t know if the BTF arms are going to help with hitting the spring. You have longer struts on top of 3” of spacer lift. It would be best to inquire with BTF.

Alright 2 inch spacer + 06-10 explorer front struts which lift it 2.5 more inches. I know my axle joints are at its max and im trying to figure out drop downs for front diff and lower arm and notice too the knuckle, spindle and tie rod ends are also off of an 06-10 explorer and i know my knuckle is stilk hitting the spring. Was thinking maybe extended ball joints?

I'm not using the 3 inch spacer yet i can't because nothing will work unless i fab up stuff for lowering the lower control arm from duner’s build. Im using the slightly taller spindles and the whole 06-10 explorer /mountaineer tie rod ends, spindle, front strut, calipers and the brackets. They all will work.

I'm not using the 3 inch spacer yet i can't because nothing will work unless i fab up stuff for lowering the lower control arm from duner’s build. Im using the slightly taller spindles and the whole 06-10 explorer /mountaineer tie rod ends, spindle, front strut, calipers and the brackets. They all will work.

Do you have the taller spindles installed or not? One post says you have not bought them yet, your next post says you are using them.

What am I missing here?

Did you see my pictures the stock spindles for 3rd gen explorers are aluminum i don't have aluminum spindles

Did you see my pictures the stock spindles for 3rd gen explorers are aluminum i don't have aluminum spindles

Thanks for the snarky reply. Yes, I understand that my OEM spindles are aluminum.

Yes, I see your pictures, which only added to my confusion when you said

Well those spindles aren't that much taller and i haven't bought them yet........

Good luck with your project, just stay safe, and consider the safety of others around you.

Sorry didn't mean to come off that way and im trying to not drive it until i get those btf arms

Back