Rack & Pinion Gear Failure 2016/17 Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rack & Pinion Gear Failure 2016/17 Explorer

Walking with only one shoe on, different side every other day to double shoe lifespan.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not even going to move, just sit on the couch with the remote in my hand, too dangerous out there:popcorn:

I just took my 2016 sport in, and they came back with the rack and pinion issue. it has 55k miles on it (out of warranty), and they want $2300 to fix it. I assume the dealer mark-up is insane. Anyone have experience replacing this? I have my own mechanic on the side, but I still feel like this is going to cost a good chunk.

I just took my 2016 sport in, and they came back with the rack and pinion issue. it has 55k miles on it (out of warranty), and they want $2300 to fix it. I assume the dealer mark-up is insane. Anyone have experience replacing this? I have my own mechanic on the side, but I still feel like this is going to cost a good chunk.
You can use this site to check out the cost of the items; AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake | Parts & Accessories

Peter

$2,300? Holy crap. You are looking at roughly $800 for the part if you buy it online and under 4 hours of labor plus an alignment. Dealers should be $1,200-$1,400 at retail.

$2,300? Holy crap. You are looking at roughly $800 for the part if you buy it online and under 4 hours of labor plus an alignment. Dealers should be $1,200-$1,400 at retail.
Taking it to another shop tomorrow for a second opinion. if it is still high, it will be sold in the afternoon. This car has been a thorn in my side with the amount of issues i've had.

Taking it to another shop tomorrow for a second opinion. if it is still high, it will be sold in the afternoon. This car has been a thorn in my side with the amount of issues i've had.
Took the car into another shop this morning. They heard the grind when pulling out of the spot. Again, when pulling into the bay. Put it up on the alignment lift, and couldn't replicate the issue. Now, I worry that this is a suspension issue, and not a RaP issue. Not sure if suspension is covered by the base powertrain warranty (5yr/60k miles). I'm at 3 years and 55k miles.

Took the car into another shop this morning. They heard the grind when pulling out of the spot. Again, when pulling into the bay. Put it up on the alignment lift, and couldn't replicate the issue. Now, I worry that this is a suspension issue, and not a RaP issue. Not sure if suspension is covered by the base powertrain warranty (5yr/60k miles). I'm at 3 years and 55k miles.
Powertrain Warranty does not cover suspension related parts. The Warranty Guide lays out what is covered under it.

Peter

After getting off of the phone with the mechanic, they have diagnosed my issue as a known issue.
Can anyone provide any additional information on this, as this is what he says the issue is:

upload_2019-2-22_13-46-24.png

I don't seem to have any ability to delve into the details.

After getting off of the phone with the mechanic, they have diagnosed my issue as a known issue.
Can anyone provide any additional information on this, as this is what he says the issue is:

View attachment 167839
I don't seem to have any ability to delve into the details.

Can you explain what type of sound it is making and when/how? I have a sound on mine when I turn left to right. It makes it at 10:00 and 2:00 and does it every time I turn the wheel. When it is on a lift, it does not make the sound. You can pop the hood and hear it is coming from the back of the engine (firewall area), not the front suspension components. I'm wondering if this is what yours is doing. Almost like a gong sound.

Can you explain what type of sound it is making and when/how? I have a sound on mine when I turn left to right. It makes it at 10:00 and 2:00 and does it every time I turn the wheel. When it is on a lift, it does not make the sound. You can pop the hood and hear it is coming from the back of the engine (firewall area), not the front suspension components. I'm wondering if this is what yours is doing. Almost like a gong sound.
That sounds almost exactly the same as mine. Mine happens more when you turn to the right, and at about the 2:00 position. After taking 2 days for this during the week, I’m going to wait a week or 2 and hit another ford dealer to get their input (and cost). I’ll also bring up my peeling hood (from Another thread).

That sounds almost exactly the same as mine. Mine happens more when you turn to the right, and at about the 2:00 position. After taking 2 days for this during the week, I’m going to wait a week or 2 and hit another ford dealer to get their input (and cost). I’ll also bring up my peeling hood (from Another thread).

Ill try to get a video of it tomorrow to compare. If you have the same issue, dont bother replacing it. Mine has done it for 80,000 miles without issue.

Ill try to get a video of it tomorrow to compare. If you have the same issue, dont bother replacing it. Mine has done it for 80,000 miles without issue.
Sounds good. I mean, if ford will fix it cheaply , I’m on board

Found this over in the ranger5g.com forum, the 211-02 workshop manual pages referred to in the TSB pic you posted, below that is the topic it was posted in. While it's for Rangers, it may be more alike than different.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/attachments/211-02-power-steering-shop-manual-zip.3142/

2019 Ranger Technical Shop Manuals

Also found some general Ford electric rack servicing info that might apply here:
15R01 - Steering Gear Motor Bolt Corrosion - 2013-2015 Ford Fusion & Lincoln MKZ, 2015 Ford Edge

My 2016 Explorer with around 13,000mi started making a loud popping noise occasionally during slow speed turns. Ford tech found that a gear failed in the electric power steering rack and pinion assembly and Ford Engineering confirmed that the entire unit will need to be replaced. Luckily it is under warranty. Has anyone experienced a failure like this or heard of any steering gear failures on 2016-2017 Explorers? I couldn't find much information on it so I am guessing that this is not common. I am aware of the thread on power steering issues on 2011-2015 Explorers.
My 2016 Limited with 69,600 miles started developing a popping noise several months ago from the front end. Had it to a dealer in Dec 2020 to have it looked at but they couldn’t find anything. It’s now March 2021 and the problem has really gotten bad in the last 2-3 weeks. It’s at the dealer now who said all of the noise is in the steering gear which is now being replaced. Glad I have an extended warranty. It’s not a cheap job by far, likely $2000+ parts and labor.

^^ Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

My 2016 Limited with 69,600 miles started developing a popping noise several months ago from the front end. Had it to a dealer in Dec 2020 to have it looked at but they couldn’t find anything. It’s now March 2021 and the problem has really gotten bad in the last 2-3 weeks. It’s at the dealer now who said all of the noise is in the steering gear which is now being replaced. Glad I have an extended warranty. It’s not a cheap job by far, likely $2000+ parts and labor.
Since mine failed at 13K, it also failed again around 35K. I have an extended warranty but I'm hoping they've addressed this issue with updated parts by now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since mine failed at 13K, it also failed again around 35K. I have an extended warranty but I'm hoping they've addressed this issue with updated parts by now.
Hopefully so. The part alone was $1500 + labor. Mine feels brand new again so fingers crossed, no problems going forward.

Back