• Register Today It's free!

Always suspect the DPFE

Masterd

Reaction score
City, State
Upland, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Sport
I was actually shocked when I found out the failure rate of new DPFE sensors out of the box. I was chasing an EGR 332 code for months, tried two DPFE's and then started chasing wiring and vacuum only to end up back at the DPFE, and the third time was a charm.

7Blqmtq.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was actually shocked when I found out the failure rate of new DPFE sensors out of the box. I was chasing an EGR 332 code for months, tried two DPFE's and then started chasing wiring and vacuum only to end up back at the DPFE, and the third time was a charm.

7Blqmtq.jpg
So what type of problems did it give you when it failed if I may ask ?

I have the same code? what brand do you recommend? I'm pretty sure my orileys one was bad out of the box. stock one was so corroded.

I have the same code? what brand do you recommend? I'm pretty sure my orileys one was bad out of the box. stock one was so corroded.
I dont necessarily know if theres a "good" brand. Its just a ****ty part. The one I purchased that works is "Standard Motor Products VP3T EGR Position Sensor"

So what type of problems did it give you when it failed if I may ask ?
The worst one was the first replacement. It would set every EGR code imaginable. 327, 332, 337, 335, 336. The second one just kept throwing the 332, which is why I moved on to other ideas. With the really bad one, it would literally run like it had a cam if you gave it a little bit of throttle, like right off idle. The second one didn't have any noticeable issues with running.

The worst one was the first replacement. It would set every EGR code imaginable. 327, 332, 337, 335, 336. The second one just kept throwing the 332, which is why I moved on to other ideas. With the really bad one, it would literally run like it had a cam if you gave it a little bit of throttle, like right off idle. The second one didn't have any noticeable issues with running.
thank you for the information. I am having some of the same codes so i may get a different one to try.

Back