Fuel Spillage Issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Spillage Issues

ThaXtremeOne

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
I just recently picked up my new 2015 Ford Explorer Sport. And each time I have went to fill it up with gas, I get fuel that comes up and overflows from the filler port. And it's not just a little, it's quite a bit. Runnin down the side of the vehicle. The first time I thought maybe it was the pump. But I have now filled up at several different locations, and each time the same thing has happened. I have tried pumping the gas at a slower speed and it doesn't seem to help a bit. The only way I keep his from happening is to stop filling up before I can completely top off (Actually allowing the pump to click off). This is very frustrating since I should be able to fill my vehicle up with worrying about the fuel overflowing. I know in 2013 model explorers there was a different issue with the fuel module. That surely can't be related to a newer 2015 model. Has anyone else experience a since problem with their explorer? And what was the solution?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

zero issues with my non-sport 2013

2015 Sport here. I've not noticed any issues with filling the tank. It's my wife's car so she fills it more than I do and she hasn't said anything. I did fill it today with no issues however.

I do recall something in the owners manual about withdrawing the nozzle slowly after filling the tank. Maybe you can locate that section and see if there is any help there.

2015 Sport here. I've not noticed any issues with filling the tank. It's my wife's car so she fills it more than I do and she hasn't said anything. I did fill it today with no issues however.

I do recall something in the owners manual about withdrawing the nozzle slowly after filling the tank. Maybe you can locate that section and see if there is any help there.

I've read through the entire manual and it does say you should leave the nozzle in for an additional 5 secs for residual gas to drain. I have gas coming back up and overflowing even with the nozzle still in right as it clicks off.

I've read through the entire manual and it does say you should leave the nozzle in for an additional 5 secs for residual gas to drain. I have gas coming back up and overflowing even with the nozzle still in right as it clicks off.

There are several causes for the "splash back" when filling, it could be a kinked fill or vent tube but the most common reason is filling to fast. If you are filling at the same place when this happens try not filling with the nozzle wide open.
If you cannot fill in an appropriate amount of time this way have the dealer check for obstructions in the fill tube.

Just to be clear - as you are dispensing gas into your Explorer, without touching the handle, when the tank fills up there is gas that spills down the side of the vehicle before the automatic shutoff ends fuel flow through the hose?

Also make sure the nozzle is inserted all the way into the filler port neck. If not it will do as you have noted.

There are several causes for the "splash back" when filling, it could be a kinked fill or vent tube but the most common reason is filling to fast. If you are filling at the same place when this happens try not filling with the nozzle wide open.
If you cannot fill in an appropriate amount of time this way have the dealer check for obstructions in the fill tube.

I have it at the dealer now. I have tried to fill at a slower level and still get the spillage as the pump clicks off. I assume there is an issue with the filler tube or vent tube that does not allow the air to escape. So when the pump shuts off, the air is then allowed to escape and brings the gas back up with it.

Just to be clear - as you are dispensing gas into your Explorer, without touching the handle, when the tank fills up there is gas that spills down the side of the vehicle before the automatic shutoff ends fuel flow through the hose?

No it happens immediately after the hose clicks off when you have it set to hands free filling and even if I keep my hand there to pump as well.

No it happens immediately after the hose clicks off when you have it set to hands free filling and even if I keep my hand there to pump as well.

Yep. That would be a dealer problem. You're filling your tank the way everyone else is.

Update: Service department said there is a technical bulletin out for the change of the fuel filler neck. They have to order one from Ford and replace this part. Hope this fixes the problem. However, I was never able to find this technical bulletin prior to take my vehicle in to the dealership.

I'm seeing an interesting problem on my PIU. It's now happened enough times and at enough different gas stations where I can no longer consider it an one-off occurrence or blame a particular station. Namely, the pump keeps running which results in a good size and dramatic-looking spill. It seems almost the opposite of the more commonly seen problem of the pump shutting off prematurely. Doesn't happen every time I fill it, but I'd say a good 1 in 4, 1 in 5 tanks for sure.

Any ideas?

^^ Your thread was merged with this existing one.

Peter

Yeah, seems to be fuel filler problem. I think it will be resolved once they replace with the updated one.

Yeah, seems to be fuel filler problem. I think it will be resolved once they replace with the updated one.
Are you referring to vcfp153's issue? You do realize his post was added to a thread that was almost 4 years old and he has a 2017 model which has no tsb for an updated fuel filler. If you were referring to a prior post, hopefully they already addressed their problem some time in the last 4 years...

Are you referring to vcfp153's issue? You do realize his post was added to a thread that was almost 4 years old and he has a 2017 model which has no tsb for an updated fuel filler. If you were referring to a prior post, hopefully they already addressed their problem some time in the last 4 years...

One person I knew in my previous job had the exact same problem on his early production 2017 and his exact same problem was resolved after replacing the fuel filler. I thought it probably is the same issue. I agree, I could be absolutely wrong and this friend did Not have the PIU

An update: my filler neck was replaced several months ago, but the issue didn't disappear completely. Still happens, but MUCH more infrequently, more like 1 in 12-15 tanks.

I don't know if I have this problem. I live in New Jersey and we are not allowed to pump our own fuel.:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back