• Register Today It's free!

New with a Few Qs

Margie2004

Reaction score
City, State
Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT
Hey, 2004 Explorer XLT 4.0 5R55S with 157,000.

1. For the life of me I can't find any match for my "TT" "Graphite" interior paint code. The top of the front doors are faded (I know you're all shocked) and I'd like to freshen them up if it ever stops raining long enough.

2. Not having any transmission problems but I'm assuming it's just a matter of time. I'm scared to get it serviced after the horror stories I've read. However, I kinda like the idea of getting the servo bore kit thingy and hoping I can avoid it going out in the first place. Thoughts?

3. Total chick question so don't laugh; what's the difference between Oxford White and Oxford White clearcoat?

4. WTF are these things called and how do I fix the faded paint on them? I'm doing some little spots on my hood and roof (very edges showing tiny bit of rust) and I'd like to do the black pieces at the same time.

Hope this is the right place to post all this! Thanks.

20190403_010832.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey, 2004 Explorer XLT 4.0 5R55S with 157,000.

1. For the life of me I can't find any match for my "TT" "Graphite" interior paint code. The top of the front doors are faded (I know you're all shocked) and I'd like to freshen them up if it ever stops raining long enough.

2. Not having any transmission problems but I'm assuming it's just a matter of time. I'm scared to get it serviced after the horror stories I've read. However, I kinda like the idea of getting the servo bore kit thingy and hoping I can avoid it going out in the first place. Thoughts?

3. Total chick question so don't laugh; what's the difference between Oxford White and Oxford White clearcoat?

4. WTF are these things called and how do I fix the faded paint on them? I'm doing some little spots on my hood and roof (very edges showing tiny bit of rust) and I'd like to do the black pieces at the same time.
  1. try trim restoration like "Back to Black" but I'm not sure that there's any trim paint...
  2. up to you. I'd save the money and cross fingers.
  3. not sure...
  4. Those are just trim pieces. So far as I know just wetsand them lightly, hit them with plastic primer and some black paint.

1. try trim restoration like "Back to Black" but I'm not sure that there's any trim paint...
  2. up to you. I'd save the money and cross fingers.
  3. not sure...
  4. Those are just trim pieces. So far as I know just wetsand them lightly, hit them with plastic primer and some black paint.
Thanks. The problem with those trim pieces is they kinda look like glass, totally different from the normal rubber/plastic looking trim pieces. It looks like Tasca carries a few of them but they're damn proud of them!

Sem makes interior dye that would work, make sure to get adhesion promoter as well. You may have to call and have a color card sent and find the closest match.

The trim pieces are a harder plastic, you can paint or wet sand and use a 2K high gloss clear coat like spray max or wrap in vinyl. The replacements are expensive. Another option is wet sand until consistent color then apply high gloss clear paint mask like Xpel.

Thanks. The problem with those trim pieces is they kinda look like glass, totally different from the normal rubber/plastic looking trim pieces. It looks like Tasca carries a few of them but they're damn proud of them!
They are just ordinary plastic, I think they had a piano black finish back in the day...

Back