Great experience installing aftermarket hitch on my 2018 XLT! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Great experience installing aftermarket hitch on my 2018 XLT!

Bobs2018ExplorerSport

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Livermore, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Sport 4WD
Callsign
KD6ANY
I just wanted to share that I installed an aftermarket hitch and wiring package on my 2018 XLT, and it truly was a "piece of cake", when compared to the nightmare I went through putting one on my 2015 Edge Sport years ago!

It only took me a couple of hours from start to finish this time, while taking my time. A lot of the difference on this vehicle is due to the truly "plug-and-play" T-connector wiring harness I used. You simply unplug a wiring harness that is hidden up under the passenger-side wheel well, and insert the factory-matched all-weather connectors between the two you just unplugged, and boom, you've got a working 4-way flat connector to mount over by your hitch receiver!

Also, it was fairly easy to remove the two rear exhaust hangers and drop the tailpipes down, then slide the hitch unit up between them and up to the frame.

However, there IS one drawback in their design that I didn't care for (and took steps to improve on it)! The hitch comes with two welded tabs to act as mounts for the exhaust hanging bolts. Therein lies the problem... Instead of providing a pair of fully-threaded 7/16 x 14 carriage bolts to begin with, they give you a pair of carriage bolts that are only threaded halfway in from the end. What this results in is that, even after you tighten the locknut as much as you can, (just enough to remove most of the play and gently squeeze the rubber hanger pad), it still results in a floppy connection, and can rattle. Why they didn't think of either (a) welding on a pair of Ford OEM-style hangers, to match the originals... or (b), to provide a fully-threaded bolt (to make a tight connection mount) is beyond me!

I therefore went down to my local Lowe's, determined to replace those with a fully-threaded 7/16" carriage bolt, only to find that their sizes inexplicably jump from 3/8" to 1/2", with nothing available in-between! I then came up with the idea of using 3" long 3/8" fully-threaded hex bolts, washers, and locking nuts as an alternative. However, in both the original hitch's design, as well as my revised design, the idea of hanging that rubber hanger off of a threaded bolt didn't sit well with me, as over time the threads might eventually chew-away at the rubber slot. Amazingly, Lowe's also had some perfectly-fitting metal sleeves that fit perfectly over the threaded 3/8" bolt, and fit perfectly into the round slot of the rubber hanger, therefore making it look like it all actually came that way (while also providing a smooth surface upon which to carry the weight on). I did all this BEFORE I mounted the hitch, as you can only get access to these two hanger bolts when the hitch is not yet installed. IF you get this same kit, you'll see how they did cut one corner on their design, but that a fix similar to my idea is a way to circumvent it!

Once that obstacle is cleared, it is very easy to mount the hitch, since the frame already has weld-nuts inside the frame. You just bolt it on from the underside (although they do give you one additional bolt that you fish into the inside of the passenger-side frame, which was really easy). I think the photo shows a very clean installation.

Here are the part numbers:

- Draw-Tite # 76034 Hitch (fits 2011 - Current Explorers)
- Tekonsha # 118540 T-connector Wiring Harness (plug-and-play)
- U-Haul # CQT118144 4-Way Flat Mounting Bracket Kit

Additonal improved hanger bolt items: (2) 3/8" x 3" long hex machine bolts and nuts; (2) 3/8" "stop nuts"; (2) lockwashers, and (8) 3/8" fender washers

Bottom line is that this hitch and wiring kit is a real piece of cake overall, and I highly recommend it!

Trailer Hitch Pic2.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice sounds like your installation was a bit easier than mine

I just put a Draw-tite hidden hitch on our 18 Edge (valid because it replaced the 11 Explorer XLT - water pump issue). I needed to fish 8 bolts through the frame and the light converter box required connection to the battery.

Just keep in mind that the towing capacity is 2000 lbs for an aftermarket installation. The factory tow package contains several items you Explorer won't have.

Peter

Just keep in mind that the towing capacity is 2000 lbs for an aftermarket installation. The factory tow package contains several items you Explorer won't have.

Peter

For those interested, that's a 6F55 transmission, engine oil cooler, trailer brake controller, and the tow/haul switch (+ programming). This has been confirmed by a dealership that has retrofitted a factory tow package.

The 4 & 7 pin wiring harness and in-bumper trailer hitch are also part of the tow package, OP obviously doesn't need those.

What does the programming involve? What does it change?

Shift points and tuning are changed by the tow haul mode being activated.

Shift points and tuning are changed by the tow haul mode being activated.

I installed the factory tow switch/ button when I put in my ford hitch. Just for sole purpose of keeping it from going into over drive/ 6 th gear. When selected, it shifts different and it also doesn’t go in overdrive. You think I should still have it programmed if my only reason to use it was to keep it from going into overdrive?

I installed the factory tow switch/ button when I put in my ford hitch. Just for sole purpose of keeping it from going into over drive/ 6 th gear. When selected, it shifts different and it also doesn’t go in overdrive. You think I should still have it programmed if my only reason to use it was to keep it from going into overdrive?

Overdrive is gears 4-6. So, yes, if its only keeping you out of 6th gear.

Overdrive is gears 4-6. So, yes, if its only keeping you out of 6th gear.

Gotchya, thanks. I was thinking only 6th was overdrive. Thats the only gear I don't want it to go in when tow is selected so I'll leave it alone.

Gotchya, thanks. I was thinking only 6th was overdrive. Thats the only gear I don't want it to go in when tow is selected so I'll leave it alone.

You can always just go into sport mode and just manually shift gears with the paddles to keep out of overdrive.

You can always just go into sport mode and just manually shift gears with the paddles to keep out of overdrive.

That's exactly what I had been doing but it was a pain having to constantly manual shift it when towing in hilly KY. But that has worked well though.

That's exactly what I had been doing but it was a pain having to constantly manual shift it when towing in hilly KY. But that has worked well though.
Another option would be to order a tuner and download a towing tune. @Livernois are pretty popular on this forum, and they have tunes specifically designed for towing.

Jade97: I feel your pain; I, too, had a 2015 Edge Sport, and it not only required me to splice into the tail-light wiring on both sides, but I also had to run a hot lead all the way from the battery to the rear of the car! That is why this installation was such a breath of fresh air!

The only thing I don't like about the aftermarket hitch is that it is so low to the ground. On my 16 Ex Sport I need a 3.5" drop mount & the Edge needs a 3.5 rise" mount.... same utility trailer.

Mine's not too bad, but I bought a 3" drop mount and flipped the ball over to the other side, making it a rise mount. I should be fine now; no biggie! I only rent an occasional U-Haul utility trailer anyways...

Trailer Hitch Pic4.jpg

Peter
You may want to elaborate. Is that 2000 lbs for the trailer regardless of passenegrs/cargo in the tow vehicle?

The only thing I don't like about the aftermarket hitch is that it is so low to the ground. On my 16 Ex Sport I need a 3.5" drop mount & the Edge needs a 3.5 rise" mount.... same utility trailer.
You do understand that there is no universal height for receiver hitches nor is there for trailer tongues, so it is pretty common that you will need to use the appropriate rise/drop drawbar for your needs. A small utility trailer with 10" or 12" wheels is going to need a different rise/drop vs the same small utility trailer with 15" wheels. If one is towing many different trailers or trying to use one drawbar in many different vehicles, they may want to look into an adjustable height drawbar.

Bottom line is that this hitch and wiring kit was a real piece of cake, and I highly recommend it!
Definitely one of the easier ones, but it can vary by hitch manufacturer and there are a lot more plug and play wiring adapters available today than there were years ago.

You do understand that there is no universal height for receiver hitches nor is there for trailer tongues, so it is pretty common that you will need to use the appropriate rise/drop drawbar for your needs. A small utility trailer with 10" or 12" wheels is going to need a different rise/drop vs the same small utility trailer with 15" wheels. If one is towing many different trailers or trying to use one drawbar in many different vehicles, they may want to look into an adjustable height drawbar.

I think the adjustable height drawbar is a good choice. I’ve got one that I use on the explorer and expedition. Saves having to keep multiple drawbars around.

Yeah, using an adjustable-height drawbar is a good idea, although I've never had a real problem towing at the approximate height as shown in my photo. I only rent an open U-Haul utility trailer once in a while, like for getting a lot of bags of garden bark, for example.

I do understand the 2000-lb limitation without the factory tow package, but just towing a small U-Haul trailer once in a while has never been a problem for me. I do appreciate all the information, however!

You do understand that there is no universal height for receiver hitches nor is there for trailer tongues,
Yes, yes I do.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I should have also mentioned that, when you do install an aftermarket trailer hitch, you end up having to remove and discard the OEM tow hook that was on the left rear side of the frame (as it is big and would interfere with a hitch being put in that spot). So, as a work-around, and if I ever need to get towed on a flatbed tow truck, I got this nifty little tow hook that goes into the 2" receiver. I keep it with the spare tire, should I ever need it. It now gives the tow driver a new and safe way to secure the rear of your vehicle again, as Ford had first intended! It costs about $36 on eBay...

Tow Hook Kit Pic1.JPG

Tow Hook Kit Pic3.JPG

Back