Noisy timing chain 3.5 V6 NA | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Noisy timing chain 3.5 V6 NA

Explorer75

Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
I noticed a timing chain noise at sartup, pretty much the same noise as the 4.0 SOHC on the previous generations use to make. Lasted 1-2 seconds maybe. Truck had be sitting overnight, about 80F outside temp. This is the first time I´ve heard this. I´ve done a search, only found this problem on the Ecoobost version. Any of the NA guys have this problem? Changed motorcraft oil and filter about 3 weeks ago, level to the top, truck has a little over 50k miles, most city miles.

Followup

After I heard the noise I checked the oil level, on a level parking spot, it wasn´t all the way to the top, added just a little bit bring it to the top, maybe 1/8 of a quart. I doubt this was the problem or that it helped but I haven´t heard the noise again.

I just had my chain, guides and water pump changed at 63k. Mine was rattling at start up and after warm up. They said there was to be a 3 link slack in chain mine had 7 link slack.. was kinda pissed to have to spend that money on a motor with 63k. Love my truck.. just seemed the chain should have lasted longer when I use fully Synth oil and ford filters ONLY.

Sorry to hear that, man. It was really smart to change the water pump, though. I would do it exactly like that.
One thing about the maintenance interval, I use it at 50% with synthetic blend motorcraft oil and filter, that gives me about 6 months. 100% would take a year, I think it's too much for stop and go city traffic, which is what I usually drive. Too little freeway.

Back