• Register Today It's free!

My mechanic said...

Luna93

Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Eddie bauer
I need to fix my suspension as I’m getting a squeaking sound.

He wrote an estimate for:
1) front shocks
2) strut bushings

Here’s the thing: I want to To put 31inch tires on my explorer. So I was recommended to put a Skyjacker 1/5" lift kit (new front coils will lift you exactly 1.5" in the front and comes with new shocks)
And In the rear use a set of warrior style shackles and that will lift the back 1-2" to match the front

How would the experienced explorer owners approach this situation? I don’t know much about cars so this is all new and help would be greatly appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You don't need any lift to run 31" tires.

You don’t NEED the lift to run 31’s, but it’s a very common way to get a small amount of lift and make it look better with 31’s.
Also, you don’t have struts, so there’s no strut bushings. Maybe he meant sway bar bushings? Radius arm bushings?

Does it only squeak, or is there a drivability issue? Spray some silicone on the bushings and see if it goes away.

You don’t NEED the lift to run 31’s, but it’s a very common way to get a small amount of lift and make it look better with 31’s.
Also, you don’t have struts, so there’s no strut bushings. Maybe he meant sway bar bushings? Radius arm bushings?
That’s what one user on the site said.. so maybe the mechanic just made a mistake

He tried silicone but the explorer is 1993 and 100k miles so might be time (i just bought it)

I just want to make sure I’m on the right track here

Does it only squeak, or is there a drivability issue? Spray some silicone on the bushings and see if it goes away.

Yeah he tried silicone but said it needs to be replaced. Nothing urgent but it’s getting to that point !

I wouldn't worry too much about suspension squeaks on a first gen. Clunks I would give immediate attention.

A lot of these squeaks cause no harm to anything, and more a nuisance to the human ear. Example: Rear leafs can make squeaks when the nylon slides are worn thru, but that doesn't hurt a thing. Not to say all are ok to have, as some could be a symptom of something that needs attention, but generally, a good physical inspection for anything damaged, will confirm a part that needs replaced.

You can chase a suspension squeak forever sometimes. You can change all the bushings/parts eventually, only to have them return shortly. Point is, only change broken or worn parts if truly needed. Sometimes all it takes to fix these annoying noises, is to turn the radio up.

If it is a 1993 the radius arm bushings likely need to be replaced, low miles or not.
I would physically check them. Probably find they are cracked and smooshed

The skyjacker 1.5" kit comes with new front coils and shocks big improvement over stock ride!!
Will make 31's look like the perfect setup on a Gen I

This is what caught my attention:

... the explorer is 1993 and 100k miles so might be time (i just bought it)

A 100k mile first gen?? Gotta be a manual.

Anyways, squeeks and whines are normal on these first gens. My rule of thumb is If the noise is still there after maxing your volume or you can feel it in the steering wheel, it's time to address it. :D

These are older vehicles and at this point, it's a toss up on money vs tolerance. What's the line and how much do you want to spend to get it there? :dunno:

Anyways, squeeks and whines are normal on these first gens. My rule of thumb is If the noise is still there after maxing your volume or you can feel it in the steering wheel, it's time to address it. :D

These are older vehicles and at this point, it's a toss up on money vs tolerance. What's the line and how much do you want to spend to get it there? :dunno:
It’s actually automatic!

I’m obviously not living a luxurious life but I do want to keep this baby going for as long as possible.

It’s not terrible by any means. I just want to make sure I have all the correct info before making a decision !

Why is 100K on a first gen so surprising? Mine is a 94 auto with 130k which I feel is low. Driven daily

It's not often that you see a true low mileage example, especially since most people guess or don't know the first digit as only the later '94 model odometers were 6 digits. My 93 sits at around 16k if you take it at face value, but the wear and tear definitely shows a "2" in front of it.

I replaced my bushings on 92 a few years back. My mechanic said just put some white grease on them if the make a little noise and that works for a summer.
I am one of the fortunate to have a low mileage first gen. 1992 Sport with 36k miles. My Dad worked for Ford and ordered it new ar age 18 and he had his buddies follow the build from beginning to end. I am debating selling if I get married. Ugh decisions

Attachments

• DECB430E-4C6D-4EA3-BA6C-D6AC7A136566.jpeg
    DECB430E-4C6D-4EA3-BA6C-D6AC7A136566.jpeg
    199.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 188030AD-9B28-478F-85B8-B7EBC61A0C48.jpeg
    188030AD-9B28-478F-85B8-B7EBC61A0C48.jpeg
    136.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 7819944F-83D7-47B8-88D4-BBBEF9A432BE.jpeg
    7819944F-83D7-47B8-88D4-BBBEF9A432BE.jpeg
    219.5 KB · Views: 80

I replaced my bushings on 92 a few years back. My mechanic said just put some white grease on them if the make a little noise and that works for a summer.
I am one of the fortunate to have a low mileage first gen. 1992 Sport with 36k miles. My Dad worked for Ford and ordered it new ar age 18 and he had his buddies follow the build from beginning to end. I am debating selling if I get married. Ugh decisions
If you sell, let me know! 😉

If you are planning on selling talk to @Kris Guilbeaux . He is always on the lookout for collectible Explorers, especially first gens that are minty fresh like yours. :D

Back