Cro EXPO slight mod/rebuild with a steep learning curve | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cro EXPO slight mod/rebuild with a steep learning curve

Another weekend another job prepared.
Front diff cleaned and boxed, gathering everything paintable so i can recoat it in one shot.
Rear diff was "child play". Love Ford 8.8

Have no clue what i'm holding in my hand lol....
IMG_20191004_192029.jpg

After grinding and cleaning. Disassembly was easy, 10min job.
IMG_20191005_125836.jpg

There is the screw, my dana 35ifs has elastic pin instead.
IMG_20191005_130251.jpg

C clips
IMG_20191005_130616.jpg

Didn't took a photo of the next step, but I levered it and took the whole assembly out.
IMG_20191005_131644.jpg

Both fell apart at the same time using this.
IMG_20191005_132101.jpg

Now the hard part again, find someone to press out this bearing on weekend... My regular guy is on vacation.
Lol looks like next thing i buy is a press :)

IMG_20191005_132556.jpg

In the proces i broke metal brake lines... So will buy a tool for making new ones too.
My struggle continues...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If that small c clip in your last pic is what you’ve been trying to remove, then you’ve been trying to remove a clip that you don’t need to. You should pull on the axles and the clip will contract enough for the axle to slip by the spider gear.

If that small c clip in your last pic is what you’ve been trying to remove, then you’ve been trying to remove a clip that you don’t need to. You should pull on the axles and the clip will contract enough for the axle to slip by the spider gear.
On the front diff yes rear no for the rear you push in on the axle and remove the clip with a magnet

Oh yes I know that on the rear. But I was referring to the front axle that the thread was started about.

Thanks.
Both axles are done.
4.56 rings are a lot thicker, especially in the rear. Splines cover few mm of the bore for the cross pin... Dealt with that problem same way as the front.
I don't have too much time lately but the cleaning work is going on.

Did something today, kind of ugly but will do the work.
IMG_20191023_205352.jpg

I know 10mm steel is an overkill, but it was laying around. Ps found them both rusted and broken under a thick layer of bedliner

Made mine from 10mm steel, they'll outlast the car.

Your old ones look pretty good to what i excavated.

Also, good job :thumbsup:

Finally everything in black.
New M14 bolts at home, tomorrow i will pick up new poly bushings and assembly can start.
IMG_20191106_210705.jpg
IMG_20191106_210615.jpg

Btw i look like a racoon now :(

Wow!

What Mr. Alligator said WOW!! Are you gonna make this a Brand New Explorer?

:bow:

It's not that wow right up close. Doing my best with what i have. Lol not new, i hope it will be rideable in the end :)

You are doing a great job

A month has past, not much going on... Killed my budget on some "nonsense" not fun things so....
Update: all new brake lines and grease everywhere, broke a leafspring so that's new too, cutted of some dead weight from the exhaust :) straight pipe all the way. Engine 80% mounted on the chassis...

Photos: had a very fun time with this fPEEPng screws. Broke 3 out of the 4
IMG_20191212_200642.jpg

Degreased as much as i could without too much effort, it will get dirty again anyway
IMG_20191216_201000.jpg

IMG_20191217_200237.jpg

Currently throwing on old wires, trying to figure what does what, what i need to leave in there, checking conectors and so on...

well done!!

Exhaust studs are a real PITA they always break. The key is to use the torch and then they will loose without breaking most times. I wish Ford would just use a through bolt...
Your front tire wear is typical of these old torsion sprung rigs, the springs sag and the camber goes negative, many times you can bring camber back to aligned by adjusting ride height with the torsion bar adjuster bolts

Looks awesome, what a great space that is to use for lifting the body off frame!!

It lacks the hight. Only 2.7m usable. It supposed to be a small hoby carpenter workshop. Now i am thinking of taking of the roof and building it up to 5m. Hm every hoby carpenter needs a pillar crane :)

Very nice work so far!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Happy new year

Ford 9" high pinion ferget yer 8.8

Back