• Register Today It's free!

Thinking about changing my radio

Lame_Suburban_Dad

Reaction score
City, State
Rockwood, Mi.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer Limited
Hello everyone, I couldn't seem to find any posts that ask for the exact information I need on my particular question.

What I've got is a 2005 Explorer Limited.
As it pertains to my questions: it has a stock, single cd, double din size radio. The factory radio has 2 plugs in the back and the antenna. It does have a factory subwoofer, and it does have steering wheel controls. I see no JBL badges.

The radio I have currently is a JVC KW-NT3HDT. It's a bit of an older radio but has the bells and whistles I want/need.

The questions:

What harness/harnesses would I need to pick up to;
1) Wire the radio in general
2) Retain the factory sub and to eliminate any "pop" when the vehicle is powered on.
3) Retain the steering wheel controls.
4) To be able to play a dvd at my leisure...what wires hook to what?
5) Retain the options in the future to...
A) upgrade the factory sub later
B) add on a totally separate sub and amp instead of upgrading factory.
C) add some sort of entertainment for my children. I.E. head rest TVs, or a video game...something along those lines.

All information is hugely appreciated in that I haven't messed with Audio/visual in a vehicle for almost a decade. This makes my ideas, and general notions antiquated and generally obsolete. Thanks everyone.

P.S. I specifically left out the radio mounting kit....I'm sure that's impossible to screw up as long as you can read.

Back