• Register Today It's free!

Found my AC leak, now what?

Scotts96sploder

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer 5.0 rwd
AC has been leaking since I bought the vehicle, found the leak today and it’s a rubber line from the compressor the the condenser. I noticed oil that leaked out. So if I buy this line and replace it do I need to add in oil when I fill it with r134a? I’ve replaced compressors in refrigerators, but never worked on auto AC.

C956F7BD-A01E-4A96-B9A3-2151CCBAE737.jpeg

I just read about this in the manual, there are specific instructions to that. Can't remember anymore how it was.

Start from page 3300... it takes few hundred pages, might want to grab a beer too.

Edit: found something at page 3512

CAUTION: During normal A/C operation, oil is circulated through the system with the refrigerant, and a small amount is retained in each component. If certain components of the system are removed, some of the refrigerant oil will go with the component. To maintain the original total oil charge, it is necessary to compensate for the oil lost by adding oil to the system with the new part.

Thanks for that link! I’ll do some reading!
Sounds like that’s not too specific, so as long as there is some oil it should work lol.

I would recommend replacing the accumulator and orifice as well as the hose, the accumulator will have some oil in it. You can drill a hole in it and drain all of the oil and see how much needs to be replaced. My memory is about 3 oz or so.

Back