• Register Today It's free!

Radiator Leak !?

ExplorerGage

Reaction score
City, State
El Monte, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer XLT V8
So my 1996 explore xlt V8 recently started leaking coolant, sometimes it’s here and there and sometimes it’s constant. Not 100% sure where it’s coming from, has anyone had this promblem before !? Or possibly can help from just the pics

thank you in advance

AF2B4AF5-2417-4247-A96E-0B989D53E2CA.jpeg

CE55027B-A041-4425-B1EF-1D2F7CF8550E.jpeg

876AD567-64AE-4151-8E19-ADA1B2414B6A.jpeg

My first guess would be the timing cover gasket, very common leak point for v8s. Second guess would be the radiator at the seams on the sides. Third guess would be a hose connection. 4th guess would be a corroded themostat housing. To eliminate guessing, I would suggest going to an advance auto, auto zone or o'reilly's and getting a cooling system test kit that will allow you to pressurize your cooling system and you will be able to tell the exact location of the leak. They let you borrow them for free (with a credit card).

My first guess would be the timing cover gasket, very common leak point for v8s. Second guess would be the radiator at the seams on the sides. Third guess would be a hose connection. 4th guess would be a corroded themostat housing. To eliminate guessing, I would suggest going to an advance auto, auto zone or o'reilly's and getting a cooling system test kit that will allow you to pressurize your cooling system and you will be able to tell the exact location of the leak. They let you borrow them for free (with a credit card).
Thank you I will give that a try

I would also suggest a can of break clean
Clean it first get it dry then pressure test DON'T over pressure the system look at the cap for the correct spec

If it's the timing cover try some K-seal before you tear into it

imo

Back