• Register Today It's free!

Lifting a 97 XLT (maybe)

falconace

Reaction score
City, State
Katy, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
My parents told me that they were going to help me buy a new truck soon but then took it back and told me i'd have to keep the explorer for a few more years. I havent done anything to it this summer because i have been saving my money to mod whatever the new truck i was going to to get would be. Now i have lots of money sitting around and a stock (exterior atleast) explorer. I am highly considering lifting it. I am going to be going to college in a year and will be doing lots of highway driving, but i am told i can get mud tires that dont wear too bad on the highway so that isnt a big concern. I went to one of the local offroad places today (still two left to go) to get an estimate and what they recommend. They recommended the 3" pro comp spindles and a TTlift kit made by somebody that gives 2.5" of lift from the TT, but i forget the name of the company that makes it. They wanted to do addaleafs and shackles (i think) in the rear to get 5.5" of lift plus a 3 inch body lift for 8.5" of lift. He said I could then run 35s easy. Please tell me what you think this should cost. He was about 1500 installed plus tires and rims. Is this good? Also, is there a better/cheaper way to lift? Should i even bother being that it is 2wd? What type of questions should i ask at the offroad places?

Thanks for your help,

Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well.. body lifts are only $150. TTs are free. Shackles are $50. Add-a-leafs are $30. I think spindles are about $350.

Thats a total of about $600. And you could pretty easily do all those installs yourself.

Also, you wont get 5.5" from shackles and aals. More like 3.5"

If it is 2WD, then 31-33's would be the biggest you would need to make it look really good, as changing rear gears and all that for 35's isn't worth it if you are only doing it for looks and not off roading reasons.

Matt you might wanna listen to Crankcase, if your not gonna do hardcore wheelin as you already told me.

I just did a TT Shackle lift and will be getting the Add a Leaf.The Add a leaf at Four Wheel Parts was $49.99. The War153 Shackles where 49.00 plus shipping, and of course the TT was free. So if you add the shackles and Add a Leaf your looking at no more than $100.

I have a 98 XLT 4X4 and with the Shackles I only got 1.25", and then we leveled the four corners. I was told that the Add a Leave would give me about another 1.5" to 2" so in the rear your talking 2.75" - 3.25". I have 31" BFG All Terrain AT/KO's and with the 1.2" or so lift I get from the tires it rides great, I have about 9" of clearnace from the ground to the rear diff, and 10" from the lowest part o the front suspention. It handles great on the road, almost hard to believe in fact, almost tempted to leave it as it is, but the extra inch in the front will be help off road and look good to boot. I am getting the Add a Leafs, and I was told to only take the front up to 2" maybe a little more but if you go too far you can run into problems. So the nose will be pointed down a bit, I would rather lay it safe with my CV joints so...

All the work can be done in your driveway or garage, with a decent socket set. A good jack, jack stands, wood blocks, a tape measure and a few hours.

Anyway best of luck

Dead Link Removed

here's my x get in touch with me if you need any help working on it....

I have a 2WD and was able to lift it somewhere around 5 inches. I used lifting spindles with a TT and have 33's under it. I have directions for putting the spindle lift on the bottom of my page.

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Just curious; How much were the lift spindles? More expensive than a BL right?

where?

where did you get the spindles from? i went to two offroad places around here yesterday and today and both of them are trying to rip me off. One wants 800 for the spindles + install and the other wants 600 for them + install. I talked to my mechanic and he said he could do the installs if i got all the parts and it will be less than the offroad places. My mechanic is really good and usually works on my ex for a decent price and makes minor repairs for free. Also, did u change your gears? if not, did you notice any major performance differences and gas mileage differences?

Thanks,
Matt

I got them at 4wheel parts but it was at a grand opening special. It was only for the spindles. I made my own SOA for the rear and I already had the shocks. The spindle install is doable self-install but you're gonna need certain tools.

Looks like the complete kit is going for around $600.

I did not change my gears (3.73). It has taken a performace hit off the line but I think my gas milage has gone up a bit because I drive a lot on the freeway. I just corrected the speedo so now I can actually figure out what the true mileage is now.

Harry

Thanks for the help. I think im gonna do it. I'm tryin to decide what to do though, I can go spindles, tt, and body and run 35's and change out the gears or i can do tt and body and run 33's. what would you guys recommend? I have a friend that says it should only cost 200-250 to get the gears changed.

I think you should go with spindles, 2" body lift and 33's. That is 5" of lift, if your 33's rub then do the TT and shackles. These no need to stress the CV's if you dont have to. I think that would look the best.

I dont have cv's because i only have a 4x2.

And if I would of payed attention to what I was writting I would of cought that. Sorry, I still think the spindles, shackles, add-a-leaf, and 2" body is the way to go.

ok, thanks alot. do you guys know about the spindles from 4wheel parts? I looked on their website and it says that they are for 98-01 explorers for the pro comp spindles, will this work with my 97 explorer?

also, where do i find the fabtech spindles to compare prices?

bump

i contacted fabtech about these spindles and their reply was they dont have them. They have the ranger ones but not the exlporer.

I went ahead and got the procomp. The spindles are made by bullseye so you might be able to get them from them. Every one selling a kit uses the bullseye spindles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back