i got me a new toy!

TarHeel085

And den
Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport 4wd
well finally broke down and went and bought a manual transfer case. question though, why does the part that bolts up to the trans say 1350 when on the case itself it says 1354 and also on the tag it says 1354. i will post plenty of pics once done. an i got a linkage to go with it!!! now all i need it the lever :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How much did you get it for? When is it going in??

t30 for the end that connects to the front diff. i guess the other end is the same, but didn't have to remove that part yet.

T-30. The only size I have in my toolbox. :D

Originally posted by TarHeel085
i got the case itself for $185 and the driveshaft from a '96 for $53. can anyone tell me what size torx bit is used to get the front driveshaft off a '99??

The '96 had a manual tcase? I thought all 2nd Gen's were control trac

I think he needed a shaft from a 97 or older X.

I had to do this same thing. Relax Hokie. It works.

Originally posted by Hokie
Gotcha so the 2 shafts are the same length? (Also implying that the tcase are also the same length)
yeah man they are, when i was in the yard there was a 98 & 96 sittin right next to each other and i compared the shafts and they are the same lengths. if i could get my friggin shaft off i would take a pic so you could see, ill still do it but when i finally get it off. suppose wal-mart has good torx bits? ;)

I actually have pics of the two shafts sitting next to eachother on here somewhere.

booyah

Attachments

• shafts.jpg
    shafts.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 904

Cool, would this mod cut down on some of the slippage inherent in the auto engage transfer case?

Originally posted by addkev
Cool, would this mod cut down on some of the slippage inherent in the auto engage transfer case?

Yes, the manual case is gear driven rather than having a clutch like the Control Trac.

....so swapping in a manual t-case for the electric t-case with the control track, doesn't affect the computer for the control track?
also, is there any way to go to manual hubs on a 2nd gen?

Originally posted by 97X
also, is there any way to go to manual hubs on a 2nd gen?

Yes, its called a Solid Axle Swap where you cut out your factory IFS and swap in a D30 or D44 ~ it'll only cost you $2-5k ;)

2nd Gen's have CV joints and that fun stuff so manual hubs are not an option

Yes, its called a Solid Axle Swap where you cut out your factory IFS and swap in a D30 or D44 ~ it'll only cost you $2-5k
easy enough, i'll start tomorrow
img4219_76.gif

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back