Got My Turbo, Making Progress... | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Got My Turbo, Making Progress...

im thinking about puting a turbo on my x to so let me know how it went i wanna know what im getting into

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Definately interested in a turbo kit. Got the OHV myself. I was thinking of supering, cause I'd heard stories about turbo's lagging. However, if the mod's cheaper, and the lag isn't too bad...

-PKR

Well after having a lot of problems, and just being fed up with it in general. I went out and bought a 92 vette, this was about 8 months ago or so. I was driving my EX around and it just was running bad, and I was pissed. BUT, I've been starting to miss it, and just went down to my mechanic today, my new mechanic, who helped rebuild my roomies Saleen Mustang to perfection. So I gave him the go ahead to start working on it again. I'll actually try to keep you all updated on this one. Since I'm really excited about getting it going again, and running like it should be.

Attachments

• my car.jpg
    my car.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 423

hell ya, having both is the way to go when you have both balls :chug:

Anyway, I just got it back from one mechanic, and now it's on to the next. It's being dyno tuned, and torn apart and being put back together to make sure that everything is where and how it should be. I'm gonna have to start looking at a tranny cause this things gonna blow. I've been outta the explorer scene for so long now. I'm sure that AA has finished their conversion so that the Chevy tranny can be used now. Can't remember which one though.......If anyone has any tranny advice lemme know please.

jefe did the tranny swap

5 words- sevin hunerd are four. ;)

Klowns said:
Anyway, I just got it back from one mechanic, and now it's on to the next. It's being dyno tuned, and torn apart and being put back together to make sure that everything is where and how it should be. I'm gonna have to start looking at a tranny cause this things gonna blow. I've been outta the explorer scene for so long now. I'm sure that AA has finished their conversion so that the Chevy tranny can be used now. Can't remember which one though.......If anyone has any tranny advice lemme know please.
Welcome back! I don't think I've ever seen any pics of the engine with the turbo, have any?

james t said:
5 words- sevin hunerd are four. ;)

5 words? :confused:

5 characters maybe... 700R4 :p

Well ordered all the tranny parts and what not...If all goes well my shop should have it by Friday, and they can start tuning it more precise with the right tranny. I ended up getting the stage 3 from Bowtie overdrives and 1800 rpm stall torque converter. I forgot how much fun it was to watch money fly out the window. Only more to come after they install the tranny make any modifications they need to and prolly tear the engine apart and make sure it's all looking good.

Also, I need to have a hood scoop put in, I was planning on it anyway, but when I reconfigured my air filter location, after hydro locking my explorer, if anyone remembers. I put it right in the middle of the engine bay. Right in the perfect spot for a Scoop. So if anyone has any recoomendations for a cool looking scoop i'd love to see it.

Only problem with making my hoodscoop functional, is I have to figure out how I'm going to stop most if not all water going down into the engine, I will not hydrolock again, heh. BUT, I do need to have the airflow.

didn't read all the posts but figured you might be interested in this..

STS Turbo

They have a article in this months Streetrucks. Instead of putting the turbo underneath the hood they have gone and replaced the muffler with the turbo, which leads to a cooler charge and your underhood temps don't rise. Check it out might give you an idea on what to do with your turbo for your Ex..

NusenseSD said:
didn't read all the posts but figured you might be interested in this..

STS Turbo

They have a article in this months Streetrucks. Instead of putting the turbo underneath the hood they have gone and replaced the muffler with the turbo, which leads to a cooler charge and your underhood temps don't rise. Check it out might give you an idea on what to do with your turbo for your Ex..
He wouldn't be able to go through water if he did that.

So are their any turbo kits available for a 5.0? Can anyone fab one? Would it be cheaper than the s/c on explorer express?

Just wondering, how did you do the set up for it, I heard that the explorer engine bay is so small that it would be dangerous to set it up because of the intense heat the turbos give off. I wanted to do the same thing but, i didn't want to do it unless i had some proper guidance.

Back