Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. L

backed my side mirror off

Well, I'm a bit of moron, and backed my '98 XLT driver's side mirror into a surprisingly invisible, yet large, tree branch. The mirror assembly (the part that rotates when you pull the mirror in to fit into a tight space) popped off of the plastic shaft it rotates on. The mirror glass itself...
  2. L

airbox cover?

I am talking about the bolts from the MAF housing to the airbox cover. I think I'm going to try and find an appropriate tap set here on campus, and failing that I'll go with the smaller-diameter bolt. Thanks! -- Phil
  3. L

airbox cover?

Hi all, I was changing my oil this afternoon, and took the airbox cover (is that what its actually called?) off the part holding the MAF so I could check the air filter. When I was putting it back on, the lower rear screw didn't go in right, and after taking it back out and trying to get the...
  4. L

Aux battery install

I did see Jefe's battery tray (impressive as all hell, btw) when searching before I replied, but I'm shy of fender trimming, and _especially_ afraid of relocating the ABS module. I'm young (20) - I've never driven a car without ABS, and rely heavily on it. I'm pretty scared of driving a car...
  5. L

Aux battery install

So, has anyone in the States managed to get their hands on this tray yet? I'd like to run dual batteries, and this seems to be the best way. Any experiences / advice would be appreciated. -- Phil
  6. L

Aux. Trans filter & warranty?

So, I'm the proud owner of a 98 4x4 SOHC Ex which hit 90,000 miles earlier today. I've been wanting to install a secondary transmission fluid filter for a while now, and I bought the Permacool kit from Summit racing. My question is, will installation of this (I intend to have it installed by...
  7. L

Chime go away

I had a Taurus with a similiar problem, in my case the problem was the ignition switch. I never fixed it, it would've cost far too much. I'd start there, personally. -- Phil
  8. L

Dome light - gradual dimming "theatre dome effect"

Count me in too, if someone can get a device to do it. I do a lot of work with real theatrical lighting, so the lack of dimming in my car is continually bothersome :). -- Phil Genera (pg@fivesevenfive.org)
  9. L

Voltmeter or Ampmeter?

As to multimeters, most affordable ones, even the Fluke I have will only measure up to 10amps before a fuse blows. Under the hood, thats not terribly useful, imho. -- Phil
  10. L

4.0 SOHC Owners - What is your Avg. MPG and.... ??

'98 stock SOHC, 4x4, 3.55:1 gears. Winter gas highway mileage: 17.5-18mpg Summer gas highway mileage 18.5-19mpg I've only gotten 19mpg once :\ Any ideas why its so low? -- Phil
  11. L

Fact. Remote keyless entry not working, ideas?

Well, mine's fixed. I kept trying to reprogram, and one night (yesterday) it just worked. It seems like a random electrical problem to me, but not worth my money to get it checked out for real. Best of luck to others, and thanks for your help. -- Phil
  12. L

Unfortunately, the fuses are good. I checked all the fuses (in the interior fuse panel) that seemed to even relate to remote entry, as there wasn't one that was labeled as it. I pulled everything that said "lock" or "GEM" and they were all good. -- Phil G
  13. L

So, a week ago my X's remote stops working. It had done this before once or twice, but had started working again within a day or two. This time it seems good and dead; it hasn't worked for a solid week. I've replaced the battery, as well as attempted reprogramming (Key off to on 5 times, as...
  14. L

how do you organize/store cds in your truck?

Mine's a bit more complex... I carry a CD wallet with 20 or so CDs, plus whats in the 10 disc changer, as well as two minidisc wallets at 24 discs a piece. The best part is that most of the minidiscs aren't labelled, so you just have to guess at what's what :). -- Phil
  15. L

Theater Lighting is now here!

I'm very interested. Does anyone know how much current do the interior lights draw? Also, what parts were you planning to order from Ford? I'd be willing to pay a good bit for this... -- Phil
  16. L

Double din install

Anyone have any pics of what the Scosche double-din kit looks like installed? I'd be buying one now if I was sure it looked good... -- Phil
  17. L

am i the only one with 3.55's ???

3.55 open here. BTW, will I have any problems running 31s eventually?
  18. L

High Rear Brake Light

Do the the brake lights work normally? i.e., on with the brake pedal depressed, off otherwise? It sounds like the switch that detects that the brake pedal is depressed is going, and has an internal short or something similiar. On my old Taurus, this was swtich was right on the top of the brake...
  19. L

Help w/ running power wire

The '0' is pronounced "aught". 2/0 (which is larger than 0) is pronounced 2-aught or double-aught. Cable comes in sizes up to 4/0, that I know of. -- Phil
  20. L

Minor Mods Minor Money?

On a 98+ X, if you change tire size you must need to recalibrate the VSS somehow; how is it done?
  21. L

Minor Mods Minor Money?

On a 98+ X, if you change tire size you must need to recalibrate the VSS somehow; how is it done? Edit: Well crap, I hit enter one too many times. Its way too early for me to be interacting with technology.
  22. L

Disabling door ajar system

The other chimes would disappear as well; this may not be a big deal, but I personally like the you-left-you-lights-on-dumby sound. -- Phil
  23. L

scary ABS action tonight

Assuming your brakes are powerful enough to lock up the wheels (which they generally are, as thats the reason ABS exists), then the distance you can stop in is defined by how much friction your tires have with the ground. Since you had half your tires on snow, you stopping distance...
  24. L

noticing noise when idling 1k in drive

My X shakes like it was getting paid to when warmed up and idling in D, around 500-600 RPM. I figure that the engine mounts aren't perfect and that its a truck, not designed to be totally silent :) -- Phil
  25. L

Who else is in New England?

Abominous: Yeah, I'm at RPI. Soph, CS & Psych. You? 19 years, btw. -- Phil
Back