Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. X

Shooting myself in the foot - Heads are apparently not interchangeable.

I drilled out the plastic and hooked up the accessory mount. Hope all is well
  2. X

I decided to attempt to drill it out. I templated the holes and began to drill to find out that the hole was plugged up with some plastic, perhaps a plastic plug. Any ideas as to why there would be a plastic plug in this hole? Do I need to worry about anything if I choose to use it now?
  3. X

Mine are marked as GTP (there might have been other markings that I cannot see now). The only other marking is 11 and 12. I am pretty sure they are meant to be interchangeable except for that accessory hole. If I decide to pull the heads again, do I need to replace all the gaskets? I know I...
  4. X

After all the pain of rebuilding this 302 5.0l engine, I was in the process of installing the alternator accessory mounts and found out that on these heads 3 of the 4 sides contain 3 accessory bolt holes, but one only had 2. Of course the side with only 2 bolt holes requires 3. So my question...
  5. X

Torque converter to flywheel/flexplate bolt alignment

I was able to reuse 3 of the 4. I wasn't able to find an exact replacement for the 4th so I ended up buying a self lock flange nut from Ace Hardware. If this isn't a good idea I can order a set online (no local stores carry them). I was trying to finish up my project this week, but if I need new...
  6. X

I have been on the hunt for new flanged nuts grade 8 (it looks like what was on it) but I haven't been able to find any
  7. X

I just rebuilt my 302 5.0l engine and have a question about the torque converter to flywheel/flexplate (I can't remember which one is which for an automatic) bolts. Does it matter what bolt goes where? There are 4 of them, I marked the bolt to the flywheel before removing it, but didn't check...
  8. X

1998 Ford 5.0L - Mystery part

Is that in the engine compartment?
  9. X

Transmission inspection plate & Engine To Bellhousing Separator Plate Gaskets

I am getting ready to put my 1998 Ford 302 5.0L back into the explorer, but now I have a question about the transmission inspection plate and the separator plate. When I removed these from the engine before sending them off to be cleaned they had a bonded gasket stuck to them, it felt like...
  10. X

1998 Ford Explorer 5.0L - I have been looking for the torque specification for the bolt that attaches the oil filter mount to the engine block.

Thanks for the help. I will have to look to see if I can find it for an oil cooler in the books, I am curious to know if I have been looking for the wrong key words.
  11. X

1998 Ford Explorer 5.0L - I have been looking for the torque specification for the bolt that attaches the oil filter mount to the engine block.

I have not been able to find the torque spec in ether my Haynes or Chilton manuals.
  12. X

Months ago when I took this engine apart and found this part I thought to myself "Oh, no I have no clue where that goes". I still don't have a clue where it goes.
  13. X

I really need to do a better job of keeping track of where parts go. I have a mystery part that I haven't a clue what it is, let alone where it goes.
  14. X

Every time you think you will remember, you don't - What is this bolt?

If I remember its a single plastic bracket that holds the ignition wire to the spark plug, its a whole lot of metal and brackets for a single wire. Ether that or its a bracket for the O2 sensor wire
  15. X

On the driver sides head there is an accessory bracket. This bolt is one that should be used for the head. It looks like I will be removing one of the bolts from that sides head and replacing it with the one meant for this accessory.
  16. X

That is what I am hoping and as the build goes along its location will become apparent. I have no idea why it came with each set of my new head bolts, its about the same size.
  17. X

1998 Ford 5.0L - I have this bolt sitting around during my engine rebuild, so I know it came off the car. The new bolt came with my head bolts, but I honestly cannot remember where it is supposed to go, nor do I see a place for it to go.
  18. X

Oil pan bolt housing cap broken off

I apologize for my poor description. There is not a broken bolt in the hole, the back end of the hole (it use to have a round cap on it) has broken off. I found it in the bottom of the oil pan. I thought about using RTV as a way to seal the hole, but i didn't know if this might cause any issues...
  19. X

Oil pan bolt housing cap broken off

Explorer 1998 5.0l - The backend of one of the bolt housings from my oil pan to engine block has broken off. I don't know what it is called, but if the bolt were to be removed oil from the block could escape. I took a couple of photos of what I am talking about. In one of the photos you can see...
  20. X

Crack in the bolt housing of the timing chain cover. Looking for recommendations

1998 Ford Explorer 5.0l - I have my engine out and is being rebuilt. I noticed that in one of the bolt housings on the cover there is a crack that goes from front to back. Its in the bottom right corner and I don't know if I need to fix it (if I can), replace the cover or ignore it. Any ideas?
  21. X

1998 Ford Explorer 5.0: Any idea what this sensor is?

I think it is the coolant temperature sensor, but I am not certain.
  22. X

1998 Ford Explorer 5.0: Any idea what this sensor is?

I might have snapped this sensor off while removing the intake manifold. Any ideas what it is so I can order a new one?
  23. X

1998 Ford Explorer 5.0 engine to transmission bolt removal.

I ended up pulling the intake manifold off which exposed the two top bolts enough for me to remove them. It was that or lowering the back of the transmission as suggested. I took the manifold route seeing I was working on the engine anyway.
Back