Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

95 vs. 97: what is the difference?

I have a 1995 xlt, V6 auto 4wd, which has given me nothing but trouble since the day I bought it. Tons of little things, but the biggies are the trans at 66k ($3500) and the steering rack at 85k ($1k). So I swore I would never buy another. Of course, a mint 97 xlt V6 auto AWD falls in my...
  2. J

what sensor is this??

4.0 intake manifold, just to the passenger side of the T-stat housing. One-wire. What is it? I ask cuz I found a thread asking about bad mileage. It said if you get crappy mileage (yep), check your T-stat (OK), and your coolant temp sensor. Ran out to NAPA and bought a $18 "Coolant Temp...
  3. J

Steering wheel shakes / bad right wheel?

$1300 bucks! Pisses me off. The steering rack is $120 rebuilt online, but brakes & shocks is where my comfort zone under a car ends. The Ford part was $500 new, plus they did the PS hoses, plus an alignment. Still, there is no way I would have wanted to do it myself. I was tempted to just...
  4. J

Milage Sucks

Which one is the coolant temp sensor? I bought one, and it has 2 wires & is on the driver side of the Tstat. On the passenger side of the Tstat is a one-wire sensor. What is this? Will it affect my mileage?? Thx
  5. J

Its the steering rack. #### ford.
  6. J

When my right front wheel hits a pothole, the steering wheel shakes violently enough to throw your hands off it. Also, when making a sharp right turn at any speed, violent shaking. This was not gradual. Yesterday fine, today scary. No missing wheel weights. Left wheel fine. Regular...
  7. J

No 4x4 & no overhead console!?!?!?!

Yep, one 10 amp fuse! Thanks y'all!
  8. J

No 4x4 & no overhead console!?!?!?!

Ok, it may be a total coincidence, but my 4x4 will not engage and my overhead console is blacked out! Turn the knob on the dash, and the 4x4 idiot light does not go on. Look up to see if I am going N-S-E-W, or check the temp, and the display is black. What happened? I dont see anything...
  9. J

Can an AC Compressor die instantly?

Not cycling at all. Stays off, so wont take any more freon. Is there any way to rig it so it stays on (engaged) all the time?
  10. J

No metal shavings, the belt still spins, it has freon in it, (reads "medium" on my cheap gage) so its not a big leak or an "overcharge". I did not get the whole can in, just a little. The compressor does spin by hand, so not siezed. Any ideas how to fix this?
  11. J

My wife has been complaining about no AC in the X, and I have managed to ignore her since I dont drive it. Well, today I drove it in the heat wave. It was murder. Time to fix it. So I gave it a bottle of R-34 BEFORE I noticed the compressor clutch was not engaging! I have had AC...
  12. J

dumb ? du jour

Is 5 x 114.3 the same as 5 x 115? I really want these aftermarkets to it.
  13. J

BMW X5 rims on an X?

thanks!
  14. J

BMW X5 rims on an X?

anyone know if the BMW X5 wheels will fit on an X? I cant find the bolt pattern anywhere, never mind backspacing. THANKS!!!
  15. J

Harbor Frieght winch deal

Harbor Freight is one of the best deals around. There is not a store near me , but I have used the website. Cheap stuff, but dirt cheap prices. Have you seen the NASCAR style aluminum floor jack for something like $80?
  16. J

Removal of dealership sticker

Advertising is everything. Most salesmen will tell you it wont be on there, but somehow it "accidentally" gets put on. There is a local dealer here who is willing to lose the sale rather that sell a car without his logo! At least its better than 10+ years ago. They used to DRILL a...
  17. J

Tire blow out

Thats not really a "blow out" - more of a disintergration. F*ckstones would blowout, ie explode. One second the tire is on the road, next second the rim is on the road, (if you are lucky). I had one 10 years ago, drivers front. Blew a hole, literally, thru the drivers fender. If...
  18. J

1995 Air Conditioner Issues

Anybody have pix? What do these look like? icody, what did the parts cost you?
  19. J

re-wire fog light swich to be always on?

Thanks!!! I knew it was out there!
  20. J

97 Explorer - Hesitant Acceleration

if the #7 plug & wire are OK, it sounds like a bad coil.
  21. J

re-wire fog light swich to be always on?

As you know, when your high beams go on, your for lites go off. I want to be able to have my fogs on with either hi beam or low beam. Is there a way I can pull the fog light swich and wire it to an ignition source? That way, I can turn on the fogs whenever I want. I'm sure there is a...
  22. J

Explorer doesn't shutoff after the key is out!

have you made any elecrical mods? Radio, foglites? Anything that would tap into the fuse box / relay center? I'm thinking it is a grounding issue.
  23. J

"Chrome" around grill

After a fender bender, I had the body shop get a plain plastic one and spray it to match the body. It looks a million times better than the cheesy plastichrome. You see them Ebay all the time real cheap. If I had to do it again, Id look for an ebay one in my body color.
  24. J

Explorer doesn't shutoff after the key is out!

DUDE! Mine does the exact same thing! All tuned up, no codes, no check engine light. I started doing it about month ago. Don't know what a tune up would do. It seems like a bad ignition switch. "Dieseling" is what some older cars did. They would run after the key was out, but it...
  25. J

Anyone Have lift law issues in Massachusetts?

supposedly, at your annual sticker inspection they are supposed to check it, and the staties carry yardstics. Yet I see TONS of highboys that have yet to be pulled off the road. Case in point: former neighbor with a CJ5, massive mudders and a suspension lift making his rear bumper FOUR FEET...
Back