Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

EXTREMLY stupid question

Nope. All Sport Tracs got the SOHC.
  2. T

What type of memory?

486's make great cheap linux boxes. I set one up at work as a print server / email server, and it runs pretty well. It does bog down a bit when someone tries to send a 10 meg file attachment though.
  3. T

WTF????

I got mine from DesertRat, but you do have to call.
  4. T

the carpet in explorers

I wonder if the rubber flooring from the Sport Trac would fit the 4-door Explorer. The interior looks the same. It may be worth checking out.
  5. T

Any Audiophiles? Burnt MP3's

I use VBR when encoding. You get a smaller file size without loosing quality. If you're using LAME, use "--alt-preset standard" as the command line switch.
  6. T

JVC KD-SH707

The color is one of the reasons I got the 707. It matches the silver trim in the Sport Trac.
  7. T

JVC KD-SH707

I just installed mine last week. It looks and sounds great. It is a little weak on the bass though, so I have to get on with building a sub enclosure for the rear storage compartment.
  8. T

why does my compass keep telling me to calibrate it?

My '95 got stuck in cal mode. I followed the cal procedure by finding a parking lot and driving around in a circle a couple of times to fix it.
  9. T

What will become of the Sport trac?

I hope Ford continues the Sport Trac with the current solid rear axle layout, probably as a Ranger derivative in the future. If they turn it into a minivan like the new Explorers, I may have to change my brand loyalty.
  10. T

JVC KD-SH707

I usually buy a 50-disk spindle of CD-R's. If you find them on sale they can be as cheap as 10 cents per disk.
  11. T

Got my numbers mixed up. It was 2006 not 2008. This was posted on the Sport Trac site:
  12. T

I had heard that the Ranger redesign may be pushed off until '08. But you're probably right about the Sport Trac being replaced by a Ranger SuperCrew.
  13. T

Attn: ENGINEERS!

Cartman has a very important point. You have to be able to when your computer simulation is giving you bogus results. When I started my current job, I was developing a specialized fluid dynamics code for a 120mm tank cannon (2-phase flow + combustion, fun!). I had to use much of the calc I...
  14. T

Tire recommedations

Yep. BFG is owned by Michelin now. I am looking for a new set of tires too, but the prices on the LTX AT and the BFG AT/KO are pretty steep. Anyone have the Pirelli Scorpions?
  15. T

how to install shocks on a 96?

When I installed new shocks on my '95, I used a piece of string to hold the shock compressed. The shipping strap was too long to install them. I am currently waiting for a set of Rancho RSX's to be delivered (I was hoping to install them this weekend).
  16. T

Brotherinlaw about to buy sport trac-what options should I tell him to get?

I suppose I should have said a modified Explorer frame. The stiffer frame is definitely noticable, particularly in torsion. The 4wd system is also different from the Explorer. The Sport Trac does not use the Control Trac automatic system.
  17. T

Brotherinlaw about to buy sport trac-what options should I tell him to get?

The Sport Trac chassis is essentially the same as the 95-01 4-door Explorer. The 4.10 is a good idea (it is included in the 16" wheel package, also includes step bars and fog lamps) and so is the LS. Other options are a matter of personal preference (leather, upgraded stereo, etc.) If he wants...
  18. T

Bilstein shocks with TT

Sounds like a good deal on the OME shocks. I only took the Edelbrocks off road a couple of times (although the parking lot at work qualifies as off road). I'll have to give 4 Wheel Parts a call.
  19. T

Bilstein shocks with TT

becker - You're probably right about the application specific shocks. Edelbrock says those IAS shocks are specific to the vehicle, but they spec the same ones for the Trac and 4-door. I'm avoiding those shocks anyways, they wore out and started leaking on my 95 Explorer after about a year (and...
  20. T

Bilstein shocks with TT

I've been looking for shocks for my Sport Trac as well. I'm not positive, but I think the Sport Trac uses the same shocks as the 4-door Explorer (at least Edelbrock specs the same shocks). I talked to Heckethorne (Rough Country), and they have shocks for the 4-door, but would not warrantee...
  21. T

Need help deciding on a good set of AT's

I had the Rover RV's on my '95. They were a bit loud on the pavement, and tended to wander a little on the interstate. They were great in the snow though. I had no problem driving through 2+ feet of snow. I can't say how good they were in the mud.
  22. T

Installing sub in Sport Trac

A member of the mysporttrac.com site is selling enclosures. You may want to check it out. http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/parts.asp?view=155&PAGEHEADER=Aftermarket%20Parts%20and%20Resources
  23. T

Michilin M/S vs Michilin A/T

I've got the M/S courtesy of Ford's recall. They work great on the street and in the snow, but they pick up stones like crazy.
  24. T

Warrior Shackles with Hidden Hitch Round Tube Hitch

I've been worried about the same thing. I'm all set to go with the Warrior install tomorrow.
  25. T

skid plate for 01 exp sport/ST front end

Unfortunately, there isn't much in the way of wheeling around here in Buffalo. I've run some of the snowmobile trails at Allegany State Park this past fall, but didn't need 4wd except to get up one hill. You're right about the clearance, it's not great, although you do get a bit more with the...
Back