Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. F15E_WSO

Time to replace the '02 Explorer, do I get 2016 or 2017?

All, 4th Explorer may be inbound, had a '92, '02, '01 Sport for my son. Now am looking at the 2016 and 2017, hopefully both Certified Pre-Owned from Ford. I have looked at reviews from Consumer Reports, USNEWS, KBB and a few others and the 2016 is getting beat up in reliability, reviews...
  2. F15E_WSO

Power door lock problem

This worked for us, same problem. Used some picture frame wire (braided), fastened it into a loop and around the yellow plastic on the threaded rod that moves up and down. Then looped the wire through the oval in the door handle, all the way at the top, then back down avoiding the wire bundle...
  3. F15E_WSO

2002 Power RR Window Problem

Post mission Report... Big Rondo, thanks for the links, I had two of those and that was all I needed. Your door panel removal was spot on, nice to know to lift up on the "L" type hooks rather than out on Christmas Tree fasteners. I did have some trouble getting the water shield to adhere...
  4. F15E_WSO

2002 Power RR Window Problem

3rd times a charm... 3rd times a charm? Ok, I'm the third it appears here to lose the Right Rear Window. Driving to work this morning, too hot so I lower rear windows to cool off interior a bit. I hear a "funny" noise from RR and do a quick "will it go up"? and the answer is NO! Grrrr... at...
  5. F15E_WSO

Idler pulley replacement - 4.0 SOHC

Looks like you added a new belt too, can't see why not in a case like this.
  6. F15E_WSO

Size and "Font" of "Explorer" letters on door/side panel

All, I searched the body work & detailing threads and could not find the dimensions or "style" or font or whatever you want to call our Explorer letters on the side of the 2001 Sport truck. I googled "Chrome letters, emblems" and got a variety of sites happy to send me any letters I want at a...
  7. F15E_WSO

Thin cracks in sidewalls.....?

Yep, thanks I am trying to balance this with safety and a ding to my pocketbook. Like I said they are VERY thin and superficial and there are no anomalies in the side wall like a bump or bulge. Also thanks to the others about a warranty and pro-rated replacement regarding the manufacture...
  8. F15E_WSO

Elessar65, good words and thanks for your insight and experience. That was my gut feel and felt I could get one more year out of the tires. She only has 39K and I've gotten more from Michelins with good rotation and care. Too many shops like to look at the odometer and sell you what they...
  9. F15E_WSO

My wife drives on some Michelin's that are about 4 yrs old. There are some very thin hairline cracks and blemishes in the sidewalls. Some of the cracks or deterioration is linked to little bumps and raises that are the lettering, pattern, text, crosshatching on the sidewalls. I hesitate to...
  10. F15E_WSO

custom colored ford emblems

Luigi, thanks for the follow up. I used a box cutter and the blade could have been part of my undoing. The blade seemed to cut rather than separate, I could not find a seam for the screwdriver so I used something thinner (a blade). So with your sweet little red arrow, I will scoop up some of...
  11. F15E_WSO

Removal of windshield wiper plastic "tray" for painting....?

TallZac, I've had good luck with the Fusion paint. I had a good sunny day with little wind and normal humidity for DC. I paint on that old sheet to keep bugs and grass away and lay down some thin coats. After doing my son's 2001 sport's tupperware I've got about 6-9 cans experience with the...
  12. F15E_WSO

Sean99, real kind of you to offer but I'll play around with this and figure it out. I'm already playing with the old one and have blacked it out and looking to put something personal on the front now....again thanks for the offer.
  13. F15E_WSO

LuigiEnVivo, Did you have a seam? A readily apparent seam? Some photos show a seam, others it is hard if not impossible to see. I heated my emblem a loooong time and once it was soft I was able to "pierce" the soft rubber/plastic. If you look close you will see the corner where I marred the...
  14. F15E_WSO

Oh there's more.... The grill was gray and 4 screws hold it in, took two seconds to remove and I painted that black as well. I tried to customize the emblem but that was an epic fail (see my sad story on the emblem thread). I have been treating the gray faded tupperware with Bondo "restore...
  15. F15E_WSO

After Shots Here's the tray and wiper arms after painting....The wiper arms are marked D and P for driver and passenger I guess. Make sure you get those back on the proper posts as when you lay them down to paint you'll see they are not quite the same configuration. Oh and after I washed...
  16. F15E_WSO

Before and After shots.... Ok, here are some pics of the tray before I painted. I included one photo of the area around the wiper moter so you can see the holes where the clips that hold the tray in place and against the windshield, the circles show only 5 of them, there are a few more...
  17. F15E_WSO

Epic Fail for my '02 Explorer This did NOT work for me!! I was able to remove the front emblem using a heat gun and a screwdriver. After a few minutes of heating the adhesive softened and the emblem came off the truck pretty easily. Then I put on my old man glasses and looked for the...
  18. F15E_WSO

OK, that was easy....removed both wiper arms....then I pulled gently on the "corners" of the tray closest to the glass/windshield. Clips started popping up as I worked my way towards the center to the windshield. I got all the clips loose except it was still binding at the middle. The tray is...
  19. F15E_WSO

All, the plastic "tray" on my '02 explorer is very faded and needs refreshing with some black Krylon Fusion. Has anyone ever removed this piece and if so can you provide some tips? Thanks in advance
  20. F15E_WSO

750 dollars and a day with my X

Big Rondo, just added some pics, doing some smoked BBQ chicken so had a few minutes. Don't be fooled, the pics are from late in the day and look much better now than when the sun was full up on the work. I'm afraid next time I walk up to the truck in full sun in a parking lot I'll call the...
  21. F15E_WSO

750 dollars and a day with my X

It is called RESTORE Black, not turn your old grey to black kit.... WARNING ....not so thrilled how this turned out. I thought I would try this but had some reservations based on the packaging yet like a dolt pressed on. The package says last up to 6 months (Huh? I thought this was one...
  22. F15E_WSO

2002 door panel removal

Does anyone know if this is basically the same for a 2001 Sport? And if NOT a link or other thread for 2001 Sport door panel removal?
  23. F15E_WSO

ipod

See my post "Can you install an Aux Jack on a OEM 6 Disc" http://216.189.1.23/forums/showthread.php?t=300316&highlight=aux+jack+oem 4th post down from IZwack, I bought that and it works great. It overrides FM inputs coming from the outside when you apply power so no static. Cheapest easiest...
  24. F15E_WSO

Want to wash my engine-engine compartment, Suggestions for cleaners?

Don't agree..... The engine gets just as damp/wet when driving in heavy rain. It may not be as soaked as during a wash and rinse but there is all the moisture needed to rust any bare metal parts. Keeping and engine clean lets it run cooler and shows in leaks and early trouble.
  25. F15E_WSO

Joe Dirt's 2000 Ex-El-Tee "Deuce"

Joe, when I see trucks like this one that are so dirty I wonder what their house is like. I understand the need to at least go to the carwash and run the hyper-vacuum across the carpets a few times. Did you actually make $$ on the deal with the 2.93$ you found?
Back