Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

Bad brakes and hot hub

So over Thanksgiving, I finally got a chance to fix this, replace all the bearings, nuts, and the spindle and the new locking hub is starting to get hot again! Nothing has come loose yet, but I don't want to break anything by driving on it. Maybe I didn't put enough grease on the bearings/new...
  2. T

Bad brakes and hot hub

Hmm, that little pin is gone, looks like I'm in for a new set of nuts, maybe a spindle too. Thanks!
  3. T

Bad brakes and hot hub

I was driving my 91 and when I hit the brake, it felt like they hardly worked. I took off the tire and the wheel and hub were hot as hell and the rotor kind of floated around really loose, and this was only on the left front. I took everything apart and saw the seal behind the wheel bearing was...
  4. T

Vacuum line on 91 transmission

I just put the transmission back in my 91, but I can't figure out where one vacuum line goes. It connects to that pod on the right back side of the intake manifold, but I can't see or remember where to put it on the transmission. Its a long, thin, bent metal tube with a short length of rubber...
  5. T

Blowing fluid from between engine and trans.

I have never rebuilt the transmission, and it has about 105k on it. I was under the impression that replacing the seal was a fairly simple job, once you can get to it, right?
  6. T

Blowing fluid from between engine and trans.

So on my 91, the transmission works fine for a while, then all the ATF leaks out over about 10 mins. in a very steady stream from where the transmission and the engine bolt together. My best guess it I need to replace the little seal around the shaft the torque converter slides onto. Am I...
  7. T

show off your LIFTED truck - photo thread

My tries are 12.5x35 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws with 8.5" of lift, 3" body and the 5.5" Superlift suspension.
  8. T

show off your LIFTED truck - photo thread

Mine has actually been lifted for a few weeks, but I didn't want to post here till I got it out in "the ****". And heres a driveway
  9. T

00 Overheating

Just yesterday, the temp gage on my 00 SOHC started going past the red after years of perfect service. I turned on the heat just to try to get it home, but after a little, the oil level gage started flickering all around, and the engine actually shut off at a red light. I noticed if i give it a...
  10. T

Auto trans won't shift

I got it to shift this morning, but at about 50 mph around 5000 rpm. Maybe a bad electrical connection or something? Or the computer needs replaced?
  11. T

Auto trans won't shift

I finally got my new engine running on my 91, but now the auto transmission does not want to shift on its own. I pulled the torque converter out with the old engine, but that and the input shaft on the trans did not appear to be damaged, and everything went back together fine. The check engine...
  12. T

New engine installed, turns but won't start

I checked the fuel pressure and its ok. I also changed out the coil pack from my old engine, had no luck. I assume the ICM and PCM are the computers, where do I find them? I have never worked with car computers and don't really know what they look like.
  13. T

New engine installed, turns but won't start

I put a new 92 engine in my 91 and wired everything. I can turn the engine with the starter, but it won't start. I pulled out a spark plug and turned the key, it does not spark. Anyone know what the problem could be?
  14. T

91 vs. 94 Engine

I am in the middle of putting a new engine in my 91. I can get a 91 engine with 60000 miles for $650, or for $50 more, I can get a 94 with 30000 miles. I would like to go for the 94, but want to know if it will go in perfectly without having to make any changes or getting new accessories. Thanks.
  15. T

Engine swap info

Thanks man! That was just what I was looking for and I think I will try to do that. Now I just need to lay my hands on an engine hoist...
  16. T

Engine swap info

Oh, I see. Now that I reread the post, I see that I was the one who was not clear. I was asking if I could put in another standard issue 4.0 V6 OHV engine without having to mess with the drivetrain or take it out or anything. I'm just trying to get my truck running as quickly, easily, and...
  17. T

Engine swap info

But either not clearly enough for me to understand or I am becoming retarded.
  18. T

Engine swap info

What if I just wanted to put in another 4.0 V6? Would I still have to take off the transmission and t-case, or would it be just as easy to leave them in and just take the engine?
  19. T

Engine swap info

What about that? Can you just drop that in and bolt it on?
  20. T

Engine swap info

OK, so I need a new engine in my 91 Explorer. I found a 4.0 SOHC asking $850. The guy says its like new. I heared the SOHC is a good option for a new engine. Do I have to install any kind of conversion kit and if I do, how much does it cost? Really, I have no experience with this and any info on...
  21. T

F-ed Up/Hydrolocked Engine

Naw, Ive tested it many times AND replaced it THREE TIMES because of its lifetime warrenty from Advanced. Anyone know how much it will cost to replace/rebuild the engine?
  22. T

My Explorer will not start!!!

Does it make a sound or nothing at all? You can cross the relay on the passenger fender with a metal screwdriver, just dont touch the metal or the battery will give you a hell of a jolt.
  23. T

I pulled out the spark plugs today and put the rockers back on. Still, all I get is the loud click from the starter. I fear the connecting rods may be bent and wont let the engine move. Maybe even the pistons welded inside the block. But I might be wrong. Any input? Also, how hard is it to do an...
  24. T

Like an idiot, I decided to drive my 91 Explorer through a creek that would probably be defined as a river out west. I went through the water fine, but the engine died as soon as I got to the other bank. Got it home and took it apart the entire intake manifold, head cover, and took off the...
  25. T

need tire sugestions plz

I am very happy with my Dunlop Rover A/Ts. They are fairly ($600 for the tires and balanceing) cheap and have good offroad traction and are quiet on the road. The tread pattern on them is pretty bad ass too.
Back