Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

catless y-pipe FOR 4.0 sohc

Will the removal of the cats cause the engine light to come on? I was told that it would unless you either replace the rear o2 sensers with o2 eliminators or reprogram the computer. I've been wanting to do this with my 96 5.0 but it looked like it would end up costing me close to $200 either way.
  2. S

Explorer Truck Conversion?

I always thought it would be cool if you could some how use the original lift gate behind the back seat. That way if you wanted to haul some thing long you could leave it up and fold the back seats down. But it would take alot more fab work than it would be worth.
  3. S

Where to put temp gauge sensor at?

The reason I used the pipe fitting is because it has the same tapered threads as the sender fitting.
  4. S

Where to put temp gauge sensor at?

I bought an iron pipe coupler from Lowes for $1.20 and welded it on the pan. It worked perfect. The Autometer weld on fitting was about $6 plus shipping. I'm just sorry I didn't have a camera to get pics when I did it. I you don't have a welder then take off your pan and make the hole where you...
  5. S

New Comer

I wish I could get 12 mpg towing. I'm around 9.5 mpg with my 5.0 96 XLT with 18' trailer 4000lb empty. I don't have as many mod as you, but I might start investing. My exaust manifolds are a sheetmetal design kinda like a header got wrong. Porting not posible for me. Not sure about the rockers...
  6. S

side pipe exhaust

If you run the tips at a 45 you can go in front of the spring hanger. There are mufflers that have the inlet and outlet at the same end. So you just need a 135 bend at the outlet and you will have the right angle for side pipes. Those muffles are very expensive. I think Roush has some. Maybe if...
  7. S

Clear Corners?

I belive you can get the clear lights at www.partstrain.com
  8. S

Trim maintenance question

The dealer I got it from acually painted it for me. By the look of the orange peel it is probably regular car paint. I'm sure a spray can of gloss would be fine with a good couple of coats and plenty of wax.
  9. S

This might work better
  10. S

Here it is in glossy finish. Maybe this will work!!!
  11. S

Very bored + spare parts = Ricer Xplorer

I thought you said drag car? Just kidding. Anyway keep going with the X just fab the bumper around the hitch. At least you'll be pulling a ricer with a ricer. Hehe. May be it was drag queen!!!
  12. S

I'll try to get some tomorrw. ;)
  13. S

Mine were also painted but it was with gloss paint. Now I just wax it with the rest of the paint. Looks great, very shinny.
  14. S

more power with 347

Cast steel cranks are usually good for 500hp. Forged I beam rods are good for 500hp H beams usually good for 600-750hp. Hypertectic pistons are good for 6000rpm. If your planning a power adder (NOS, supercharge or turbo) or plan on seeing 7000rpm often the go with forged pistons. IMO cast...
  15. S

351 vs. 302

That's why I'm happy where I live also. No inspections of any kind. Most trucks around here don't have any cats at all.
  16. S

351 vs. 302

Amen to that ;)
  17. S

POLL, Whats more powerful & faster?

IF torque and hp were identical, the V-6 would be quicker because it has less mass... Or would it? If they have the same power the 6 would need more heavy duty parts (rods, crank, pistons and so on) and that would mean more weight. But more than an 8? In F1 racing after years of different...
  18. S

351 vs. 302

I have a 351 out of a truck and it has a distriduter with only a rotor in it. The ignition is crank triggered from the harmonic balancer. So it would probably be eazier to go with the wiring harness for the 351.
  19. S

351 vs. 302

20. S

351 vs. 302

351 has a slightly higher deck than a 302. That means the exaust manifolds will be higher (about 3/4") than a 302. That also makes the block wider so a 302 Y pipe will have to be modified. The oil pan on a 351 is also different because on the larger main bearings. I don't know what pan would fit...
  21. S

Help! Widest Tire Size that I can stuff in there?

I like the look of fats and skinnys too. My mustang has 295X50X15 on a 10" rim in the rear and 215X65X15 on a 7" rim up front but there is about a 3/4" difference. I wanted 215X70X15 but coldn't get them in a matching tire.
  22. S

Help! Widest Tire Size that I can stuff in there?

I have 255-70-15's on the stock rims on my 96. and they fit fine never rubbed. They're wider and a little taller that stock.
  23. S

How are these?

No it's a Blaupunkt Orlando head. After about 6 month I unstalled a 400w 4ch amp on them. But that amp pretty much sucks and it's coming out. I think it was actually louder with out it. I run the bass pretty low as I have a 1200w amp running 2 12's. So I think it might have just been a...
  24. S

How are these?

I have these in my back doors and I have the 3 ways in the front. For not much more the 3 ways sound alot better and one of the 2 ways died after about a year. I'm only running them off the HU.
  25. S

What's your gas Mileage?

I get 15-16 mpg around town with my 96 V8 AWD. I haven't checked it on the highway. I get 8.5-9.5 mpg while pulling my travel trailer. That really sucked on the 1200 mile trip last year.
Back